The Student Room Group

How can I prosecute an interviewer who rejects based on my looks (for an office job)?

I don't want to feel rejected just based on the way I look, by a shallow employer. I will dress my best and look the part as much as I can, but some things I cannot change at all... and I want justice.

How can I get back at them?

Appreciate the help

Scroll to see replies

So what actually happened?
1. What exactly happened.
2. Unless you can prove that the reason you weren't hired is because of your appearance then legally, you can't really do much about it.
You would need proof that it was based solely on appearance which will more than likely be impossible to prove.
Reply 4
Put a bag on your head and cry.
contact Max Clifford....no wait
Original post by Joyful_soul
I don't want to feel rejected just based on the way I look, by a shallow employer. I will dress my best and look the part as much as I can, but some things I cannot change at all... and I want justice.

How can I get back at them?

Appreciate the help

Interesting I have been discriminated for looking too young many times.
Reply 7
You need to give us a few more details. As far as I am aware it is only illegal to discriminate on the basis of age, sex or religion. On pretty much anything else employers can choose to blow you out. In some cases attractiveness might I suppose be linked to sexual discrimination. For example employing an attractive person of one sex while rejecting a better qualified but less attractive person of the other sex.
Original post by Zarek
You need to give us a few more details. As far as I am aware it is only illegal to discriminate on the basis of age, sex or religion. On pretty much anything else employers can choose to blow you out. In some cases attractiveness might I suppose be linked to sexual discrimination. For example employing an attractive person of one sex while rejecting a better qualified but less attractive person of the other sex.

Yes, how can I get back at them for that?
Original post by soanonymous
1. What exactly happened.
2. Unless you can prove that the reason you weren't hired is because of your appearance then legally, you can't really do much about it.

They can make up BS that it may be about something else. That's the problem.
They can make up BS that it may be about something else. That's the problem.

That's what I'm saying. You don't really have anything to stand on (legally). It's tough to prove, and your efforts are probably better spent on something more productive and useful you know?
Legally, they can do this. As looks aren't a protected chracteristic.
There is nothing you can do. You didn't get the job, tough. Stop complaining and go look for another job.
We need pics to confirm it was correct otherwise I can't believe you and will have to blame your poor interview.
Original post by DiddyDec
There is nothing you can do. You didn't get the job, tough. Stop complaining and go look for another job.

What if it's a pattern?
What if it's a pattern?

Unless it is discrimination based on the protected characteristics laid out in the Equality Act 2010 you do not have any grounds on which to sue.
What if it's a pattern?

How do you know that's the common cause and not something else?
Reply 17
Attractiveness on it's own isn't a protected characteristic, you have no case.
Move on if I were you. Be thankful you didn't get the job, since you'd end up working with more people like him and it probably would have made your life miserable.

On the safe side, it's best to improve your look and things like personal hygiene. If you've got tats or excessive jewellery, consider concealing or removing them (unless you're going for a tattoo artist's job!). Natural hair colours and good teeth win the day.

You cannot prosecute someone on looks basis, unless it starts to intervene with discriminating a race or sex, in other words, things that cannot be changed easily.
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Move on if I were you. Be thankful you didn't get the job, since you'd end up working with more people like him and it probably would have made your life miserable.

On the safe side, it's best to improve your look and things like personal hygiene. If you've got tats or excessive jewellery, consider concealing or removing them (unless you're going for a tattoo artist's job!). Natural hair colours and good teeth win the day.

You cannot prosecute someone on looks basis, unless it starts to intervene with discriminating a race or sex, in other words, things that cannot be changed easily.

Maybe he's racist? I am not white.

Quick Reply

Latest