The Student Room Group

presentations on a Psychology course?

Hi!
I've applied for Birmingham, Lincoln, Loughborough, Kent,and Southampton so would appreciate feedback from anyone who has attended these universities to study Psychology.
I was wandering whether there would be many presentations that you'd be required to do in front of a class as part of the course. If so, does any of this count towards your overall degree? If this happens more at one uni than another it would be really helpful to know, as I'm not the best at presenting in front of a large group!
Well then you shall go and build your confidence.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonynous
Well then you shall go and build your confidence.

That's something I've always intended to do. Its not that I want to wholly avoid it, but I'd just rather know. Plus if I was assessed more on essay writing than presentations I'd be more drawn to that course because I know that's where my skill set lie.
We had to give a presentation for our dissertation, it was worth 10% of the dissertation module in the third year, but you know your dissertation like the back of your hand anyway.
In first and second year we basically did little bits of presenting in order to prepare us for that, but it didn't count for anything.

Lancaster uni, btw, so not one of the ones you've applied for, but might be useful if you don't get any responses from anyone at those unis.
Reply 4
Original post by minimarshmallow
We had to give a presentation for our dissertation, it was worth 10% of the dissertation module in the third year, but you know your dissertation like the back of your hand anyway.
In first and second year we basically did little bits of presenting in order to prepare us for that, but it didn't count for anything.

Lancaster uni, btw, so not one of the ones you've applied for, but might be useful if you don't get any responses from anyone at those unis.

Ah, okay. That's helpful- thanks for that!
Reply 5
When I was studying Psychology at Kent there was one presentation to do for one module in the second year. I think altogether it worked out as around 1% of the entire degree mark (if I remember rightly...), so there's not too much pressure from that. I actually ended up not doing it anyway because I was so anxious and stressed and frightened of it that the student advisor said it wasn't worth it, and they gave me a concession for it. So wherever you go, I would recommend speaking to your student advisor and/or lecturer - they can help you to find ways to cope with it if necessary (e.g. at my current postgrad uni one of our lecturers has helped me to try to build up to communicating in seminars by doing things like e-mailing beforehand, trying to whisper one sentence, working with somebody else, etc), or alternatives if it comes to that.

But yes, unless things have changed since I graduated there was just one presentation for Kent's Psychology degree.
I remember googling this exact same question when applying for Psychology courses!

Cardiff doesn't do too many presentations. I think I've done two in my two years at uni, one was a group presentation. They are only in front of less than 20 people so could be worse, and they didn't count. I think they've recently introduced presentations in the 3rd year for the final year research project, and I'm not sure if they count (I'm currently on my placement year).
Original post by Liv1204
When I was studying Psychology at Kent there was one presentation to do for one module in the second year. I think altogether it worked out as around 1% of the entire degree mark (if I remember rightly...), so there's not too much pressure from that. I actually ended up not doing it anyway because I was so anxious and stressed and frightened of it that the student advisor said it wasn't worth it, and they gave me a concession for it. So wherever you go, I would recommend speaking to your student advisor and/or lecturer - they can help you to find ways to cope with it if necessary (e.g. at my current postgrad uni one of our lecturers has helped me to try to build up to communicating in seminars by doing things like e-mailing beforehand, trying to whisper one sentence, working with somebody else, etc), or alternatives if it comes to that.

But yes, unless things have changed since I graduated there was just one presentation for Kent's Psychology degree.

How do you find running seminars? :smile: I've always wondered. I'd like to do a post-grad and I'm sure it must be quite daunting the first few times you lead a seminar.
Reply 8
Original post by Liv1204

Ah okay, that's really insightful, thank you!!
Reply 9
Original post by TolerantBeing
How do you find running seminars? :smile: I've always wondered. I'd like to do a post-grad and I'm sure it must be quite daunting the first few times you lead a seminar.

I don't run seminars, I just go to them! I'm doing my MSc, it's usually PhD students who start to lead seminars (although on my course our lecturers do the seminars too - we tend to have one 3-hour lecture one week to introduce a topic, and then the next week we have a 3-hour seminar where there's more discussion about the papers read and the studies we're looked at).

Some sessions are 'student-led' though, but that tends to be just a case of reading the paper you're set (7 or 8 on the course, so each person reads a different paper/area) and presenting a summary of the study, findings, strengths, weaknesses, etc etc. But I haven't managed to get as far as standing up and speaking yet. :redface: Or sitting down and speaking, come to think of it...

I would love to do a PhD after my MSc though, so I would like to learn how to lead seminars etc too!

Original post by Emily.97
Ah okay, that's really insightful, thank you!!

That's ok, anything else you'd like to know about the course/Psychology etc in general feel free to ask. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest