The Student Room Group

Are you getting bored of people constantly playing the 'race card'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truths
Like 5% of the time, there are people making false claims about racism. That's nothing to get up in arms about.

Exactly and five percent of the time, they are playing the race card. I never said it applies to most of the time, but a distinction must be made between genuine grievances regarding race, and the race card being played.
Original post by therapiststeve
Example 1 happened at a company my uncle works for.

Example 2 occurs on every single saturday morning debate.

But if you don't accept those two, look at the third.

Example 3 just shows your ridiculous attitude. Barnes had opportunities at Celtic Tranmere and Jamaica and failed every time due to lack of managerial ability. There are plenty of white managers that have been just as bad, but of course they have no race card to play and are simply considered **** managers.
A good manager should find it easier managing in a bad league, because the other managers that you would find yourself up against would be worse. Look how well Ferguson did with Aberdeen. If a top businessman were to take over a small company and go into competition with other small companies, it would be easier than being in charge of Warner Brothers and having to compete with other giants for example. Likewise expectations at a bad team would be lower, yet Barnes failed to meet them. However rather than accepting this, it MUST be his race, right? RIGHT?

Ignoring the first two because these are not credible, how does the third prove that people are 'constantly playing the race card'? You've said that there were plenty that would've been just as bad, but where's the proof, where are the direct comparisons that allow you to prove that his subsequent inability to get a job wasn't about race? You're not supporting your argument.
Original post by Antifazian
Ignoring the first two because these are not credible, how does the third prove that people are 'constantly playing the race card'? You've said that there were plenty that would've been just as bad, but where's the proof, where are the direct comparisons that allow you to prove that his subsequent inability to get a job wasn't about race? You're not supporting your argument.

Diego Maradona
Roy Keane
Graeme Souness
Stoichkov
Mike Walker

All of these (that I can be bothered to list) have had poor managing careers and are now unemployable as managers. Unfortunately for all of them, they were born white (or latino) and don't have the race card to play. If Barnes was white, he would have ended up just like them (as he did) but because he is black, you are willing to propagate some ridiculous conspiracy theory that his race had something to do with it.

The last team Barnes managed, won 3, drew 1 and lost EIGHT. Now show ME evidence that his sacking was race related and nothing to do with that poor run of results.
Diego Maradona
Roy Keane
Graeme Souness
Stoichkov
Mike Walker

All of these (that I can be bothered to list) have had poor managing careers and are now unemployable as managers. Unfortunately for all of them, they were born white (or latino) and don't have the race card to play. If Barnes was white, he would have ended up just like them (as he did) but because he is black, you are willing to propagate some ridiculous conspiracy theory that his race had something to do with it.

The last team Barnes managed, won 3, drew 1 and lost EIGHT. Now show ME evidence that his sacking was race related and nothing to do with that poor run of results.

A single example doesn't prove your arguments that this is a 'constant' occurrence. Must try harder.
Reply 64
Exactly and five percent of the time, they are playing the race card. I never said it applies to most of the time, but a distinction must be made between genuine grievances regarding race, and the race card being played.

Something that happens so rarely isn't really notable enough for a thread imo. It's misleading.
Original post by Truths
Something that happens so rarely isn't really notable enough for a thread imo. It's misleading.

Not really, because otherwise just like false rape claims and false injury lawsuits et al, race card playing would become even more commonplace unless it was called out, and like false rape claims and false injury lawsuits, it is also damaging to real cases of racism. Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?
Original post by Antifazian
A single example doesn't prove your arguments that this is a 'constant' occurrence. Must try harder.

You asked for ONE example and I gave you one, and before we move on to other examples, do you accept that Barnes was playing the race card?
Reply 67
Not really, because otherwise just like false rape claims and false injury lawsuits et al, race card playing would become even more commonplace unless it was called out, and like false rape claims and false injury lawsuits, it is also damaging to real cases of racism. Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?

Yes, because we see people making threads titled "I'm bored of false injury lawsuits"?..

Original post by Truths

Yes, because we see people making threads titled "I'm bored of false injury lawsuits"?..

Ah the memes, I remember seeing you debating on here. Aren't you that Christian guy who is a black social justice warrior, but also a homophobe?

What a stupid response. Of course students aren't going to be talking about false injury because it has little to do with them, but for councils and governments they are a big problem, because they have been allowed to spiral out of control.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/article4244706.ece
http://www.insuranceage.co.uk/insurance-age/news/1598855/fraudulent-personal-injury-claims-reaching-epidemic-levels-research
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Ah the memes, I remember seeing you debating on here. Aren't you that Christian guy who is a black social justice warrior, but also a homophobe?

What a stupid response. Of course students aren't going to be talking about false injury because it has little to do with them, but for councils and governments they are a big problem, because they have been allowed to spiral out of control.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/article4244706.ece
http://www.insuranceage.co.uk/insurance-age/news/1598855/fraudulent-personal-injury-claims-reaching-epidemic-levels-research

Nor are people making threads titled "Are you getting bored of false rape claims?". And how does any of those instances of false racism claims concern you as a student?

Original post by Morrisseya

well hello sexy :wink:
Original post by Truths
Nor are people making threads titled "Are you getting bored of false rape claims?". And how does any of those instances of false racism claims concern you as a student?

There have been threads about false rape, and because it's tiresome and unhelpful, but I think you're missing the point/intellect, so I'll leave you with this. Fight da powa brotha

[video="youtube;kga2soqvMF0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga2soqvMF0[/video]
Reply 72
There have been threads about false rape, and because it's tiresome and unhelpful, but I think you're missing the point/intellect, so I'll leave you with this. Fight da powa brotha

[video="youtube;kga2soqvMF0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga2soqvMF0[/video]

Oh dear. Your argument is all over the place. I don't see the relevance of this video or much of what you're talking about for that matter. Yes people have made threads about false rape, discussing the implications and such. But nobody has titled such a thread to give it the tone that false rape is so prevalent and overbearing that it impacts our daily lives. But do you I guess.
Original post by Truths
Oh dear. Your argument is all over the place. I don't see the relevance of this video or much of what you're talking about for that matter. Yes people have made threads about false rape, discussing the implications and such. But nobody has titled such a thread to give it the tone that false rape is so prevalent and overbearing that it impacts our daily lives. But do you I guess.

The video was someone else's take on you and all other individuals with massive chips on their shoulders. Racism doesn't have an overbearing influence on my or any of my friends lives. Neither does war, famine etc. Guess we shouldn't give a ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 74
The video was someone else's take on you and all other individuals with massive chips on their shoulders. Racism doesn't have an overbearing influence on my or any of my friends lives. Neither does war, famine etc. Guess we shouldn't give a ****.

I don't know what logic(or lack of) you used to draw such a parrellel. But do you sis. We will have to agree to disagree.
"you think immigration levels are too high? you must be a racist"
"you hate obama? oh you must be a racist"
"you think islam is a crazy religion? you must be a racist"
Original post by soanonymous
Another point that I've seen a lot on twitter... Can you be racist to a white person?

Because according to twitter you can't, but I disagree

White people = oppressors
People of colour = oppressed

How many white people do you know that have been victims of racially motivated attacks? Compare that to the number of people of colour.

White people hold ALL the political, economic and institutional power. Who does this benefit? White people. Damn, white people don't even recognise their own privilege.

Oppressed groups are only angry at white people due to the years and years of oppression - effects of which are still felt today. White people just have to feel included in everything otherwise they whine and moan.

Reverse racism isn't real because white people have not been oppressed in masses due to their RACE/COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN.
Original post by zippity.doodah

"you think islam is a crazy religion? you must be a racist"

I don't know how this links. Muslims are followers of Islam, made up of people from a lot of different races. Muslims aren't a race.
Original post by socially inept
I don't know how this links. Muslims are followers of Islam, made up of people from a lot of different races. Muslims aren't a race.

exactly
Original post by socially inept
White people = oppressors
People of colour = oppressed

How many white people do you know that have been victims of racially motivated attacks? Compare that to the number of people of colour.

White people hold ALL the political, economic and institutional power. Who does this benefit? White people. Damn, white people don't even recognise their own privilege.

Oppressed groups are only angry at white people due to the years and years of oppression - effects of which are still felt today. White people just have to feel included in everything otherwise they whine and moan.

Reverse racism isn't real because white people have not been oppressed in masses due to their RACE/COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN.

If this is the case then why are non whites like you desperate to live in white societies ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending