The Student Room Group

Are you getting bored of people constantly playing the 'race card'

I saw this post about Harry Potter saying that Lavender Brown was black until she got a bigger role and then they changed the actress to a white one.

I have loads to say about this.

For one, if anyone bothered to read the books, she's white. She was only cast as black in the first few movies because the directors didn't realise she was going to play a bigger part later down so they didn't have any kind of description to go by or bother caring about who played her, as far as they were concerned she was just an extra.

Also, IF Lavender was black and they casted her as black, everyone would then be complaining that they didn't go by the books because in the books, it's pretty clear she's white.

No one can win?

It's always about race even when there are other issues that could come into play, it's just getting boring now.

I'm not by any means racist, I grew up in an incredibly multicultural city, and the majority of my friends are black or other ethnic minorities so don't think I'm trying to hate. I'm just curious as to why it's always about race or religion or whatever

Scroll to see replies

I'm not racist my best friend is asian.

Anyway pretty sure in the Harry Potter books JK Rowling didn't really go too much into race of general characters but I'll take your word for that as it was a long time ago when I read the books. You know the specific book that specified Lavender Brown was fair skinned/white?
Most people don't care about race.

The people that talk about race a lot are people who have some issue about a particular race/races that they dislike for whatever reason and they spend their lives justifying it. Sometimes it's not a race its people that follow a particular religion (usually with brown or black skin) and they will say its not about race its about religion - but it's the same thing, they really dislike a particular group for whatever reason.

For these people a large part of their lives is about finding justifications for attacking the groups that they don't like, they will scour the internet for evidence about things against this group, post it all over the internet, never shut up talking about it.

They will also then complain "why aren't we allowed to talk about it?" despite the fact they do nothing but talk about it.

Everybody knows the type of person I am on about here.

You see more of this on the internet either on forums or comments to newspaper articles, or on twitter etc, than you find in the 'real world' because very rarely in the real world do you ever hear people talking repeatedly about race issues.

For the vast majority of people, issues of race and religion aren't big deals, they accept everyone and judge them on their character and behaviours not on their race or religion. Their lives are not spent justifying why they have to talk about race all the time.
Original post by soanonymous
I saw this post about Harry Potter saying that Lavender Brown was black until she got a bigger role and then they changed the actress to a white one.

I have loads to say about this.

For one, if anyone bothered to read the books, she's white. She was only cast as black in the first few movies because the directors didn't realise she was going to play a bigger part later down so they didn't have any kind of description to go by or bother caring about who played her, as far as they were concerned she was just an extra.

Also, IF Lavender was black and they casted her as black, everyone would then be complaining that they didn't go by the books because in the books, it's pretty clear she's white.

No one can win?

It's always about race even when there are other issues that could come into play, it's just getting boring now.

I'm not by any means racist, I grew up in an incredibly multicultural city, and the majority of my friends are black or other ethnic minorities so don't think I'm trying to hate. I'm just curious as to why it's always about race or religion or whatever

where in the book doea it say shes white/black

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer to play the Dragon Ice card
but... why are u being racist
Original post by goldie56
I prefer to play the Dragon Ice card

Khajiit master race checking in
Original post by Vito Scaletta
where in the book doea it say shes white/black

Posted from TSR Mobile

Felix Felicis, Page 281, Half-Blood Prince, UK Bloomsbury Edition

"Harry looked into the corner she was indicating. There, in full view of the whole room, stood Ron wrapped so closely around Lavender Brown it was hard to tell whose hands were whose."

Now if Ron and Lavender's hands were entwined and you couldn't tell whose were whose, doesn't that imply that her hand was also white (as Ron's is?). I think it'd be easy to tell whose hand was whose if her hand was black and his was white, don't you think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Felix Felicis, Page 291, Half-Blood Prince, UK Bloomsbury Edition

"Harry looked into the corner she was indicating. There, in full view of the whole room, stood Ron wrapped so closely around Lavender Brown it was hard to tell whose hands were whose."

Now if Ron and Lavender's hands were entwined and you couldn't tell whose were whose, doesn't that imply that her hand was also white (as Ron's is?). I think it'd be easy to tell whose hand was whose if her hand was black and his was white, don't you think?

not really..he worse glasses.

but seriously this isn't alot to go on and it wouldn't make a difference if she was portrayed as black or white in the movie.. making her white because of that short sentence wouldn't be a valid reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not really..he worse glasses.

but seriously this isn't alot to go on and it wouldn't make a difference if she was portrayed as black or white in the movie.. making her white because of that short sentence wouldn't be a valid reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL WHAT.

Darling, the fact that he wears glasses means that his eyesight is BETTER because he has the glasses on.

I'm pretty sure even someone with slightly blurry vision can tell the difference between a white hand and a black hand.

And yes. That little detail is something that could definitely change the whole casting of the actress.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Again, if you'd have read the books, you'd know that that's not Crabbe
Again, if you'd have read the books, you'd know that that's not Crabbe

Of course I haven't read the books, I just like posting memes that haven't been fact-checked.
LOL WHAT.

Darling, the fact that he wears glasses means that his eyesight is BETTER because he has the glasses on.

I'm pretty sure even someone with slightly blurry vision can tell the difference between a white hand and a black hand.

And yes. That little detail is something that could definitely change the whole casting of the actress.

Did the book specifically state he was wearing them at the time? seeing though you take it word for word.

It's not a big deal, clearly they aren't that fussy as the movies are full of bloopers.. e.g harrys scar seems to change sides of his head when it feels like it, there are countless videos of the movies mistakes, so casting her as black is a minior detail. I think you're just a racist looking for something to moan about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Crabbe never changed. The actor who played him was arrested for drug possession (I think), so they put Blaise Zabini in Crabbe's place for this scene. Totally different character.
Did the book specifically state he was wearing them at the time? seeing though you take it word for word.

It's not a big deal, clearly they aren't that fussy as the movies are full of bloopers.. e.g harrys scar seems to change sides of his head when it feels like it, there are countless videos of the movies mistakes, so casting her as black is a minior detail. I think you're just a racist looking for something to moan about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to know a lot for someone who has not read the book. Like I said, even without glasses, it's pretty difficult to mix up a white and a black hand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crozibear96
Crabbe never changed. The actor who played him was arrested for drug possession (I think), so they put Blaise Zabini in Crabbe's place for this scene. Totally different character.

Sigh.
Harry potter is bloody gobble gabble piss packet nonsense
Original post by Blue_Mason
Harry potter is bloody gobble gabble piss packet nonsense

You sound like Mr. Dursley tbh.

Muggles these days.

Quick Reply

Latest