The Student Room Group

quick question...

basically I am doing my AS levels in my first year in history, ITC, Maths and law I am currently planning to go to uni afterwards and do a maths degree the question is do u need to do futhermaths as an Alevel to do a maths degree??:confused:
thank you
:colondollar:
Original post by tiger98
basically I am doing my AS levels in my first year in history, ITC, Maths and law I am currently planning to go to uni afterwards and do a maths degree the question is do u need to do futhermaths as an Alevel to do a maths degree??:confused:
thank you

No, you don't need a further maths A-level to take a maths degree. However, it does help you get onto the course and will help in your degree. Also, your subjects aren't very maths related. You should at least take AS further maths next year, possibly fast-track the whole A-level if possible. Taking AS physics will also help.

ITC was supposed to mean ICT wasn't it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tiger98
thank you

with these A levels I feel it will be very useful
Reply 3
Further maths will always help branch your knowledge, especially at this level, however, you'll inevitably go through the further maths syllabus at the start of your degree. So it's entirely down to how confident you'd feel doing it, whether it's workload or difficulty that could be an issue.
Reply 4
I did an AS in Further Maths in year 13, learnt about matrices and complex numbers etc which came in handy during the maths degree.
Original post by MaloneJ
I did an AS in Further Maths in year 13, learnt about matrices and complex numbers etc which came in handy during the maths degree.

AS just introduces some basic concepts, A2 will be much more helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002

Of course A2 is more helpful, but it's also a far higher workload at A2 level. You could argue that A2 just introduces some basic concepts, when you see what's inevitably coming.

However, the degree course will most definitely cover the A2 Further at the beginning, whether its for a maths, or a physics degree. So although it does give you a head start, eventually it won't matter too much.
Original post by Phichi
Of course A2 is more helpful, but it's also a far higher workload at A2 level. You could argue that A2 just introduces some basic concepts, when you see what's inevitably coming.

However, the degree course will most definitely cover the A2 Further at the beginning, whether its for a maths, or a physics degree. So although it does give you a head start, eventually it won't matter too much.

I know. From FP3/FP4/STEP I have started to get a feeling of what's beyond. A2 further maths will be much better preparation than AS further maths.
Reply 8

Yes but if he's already in his AS then it's not possible. I had no trouble at all with my maths degree but i think without the AS i may have struggled to get to grips with the concepts as quick as they expect you to.
Reply 9
I know. From FP3/FP4/STEP I have started to get a feeling of what's beyond. A2 further maths will be much better preparation than AS further maths.

I did FP1-3 (Edexcel, where FP4 doesn't exist) and M1-5, and indeed it was good preparation. However I spent the first term and beyond of my degree learning close to nothing where maths and mechanics was involved. The beginning of the course will always cover parts of the material from basic A-Level and all of the material from further, to make up for the fact some people haven't done it. So the answer is, for the OP, to just do what they feel most comfortable with, because it won't in the end, make them more successful at university. The idea of preparation is correct, but it shouldn't matter. On the other hand, I'd say learning the A2 maths course thoroughly is very good preparation, as they will assume you mostly know it.

Also, the speed at which they take you through the material might be something to think about, but university really revolves around self teaching, nethertheless, taking the AS might give OP some peace of mind when entering degree stage, but he seems to have already started AS, so it might be a no go.

The inevitable answer to your question OP is no, you'll be fine, and won't be pushed aside because you haven't done it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest