The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nottingham- since their offer is AAB I'd say that's one provided you've got a GCSE foreign language.
leciester- yep it's ABB- BBB with a B in eng so that should be safe.
kings college AAB (I think) which seems ok.
wawrick Not sure. I don't know the requirements probs AAB which should be okay though they interview most candidates so it would depend on that.
loughborough- Yep into it's ABB with a B in English.
birmingham Don't know because I don't know the requirements.

I'd say you're pretty secure. I'm confused btw are you talking about your brother above or you? I think I've been mislead by the title! lol.
Reply 2
looking at the title of the thread, i thought you were talking about your brother last year. now reading the post, it looks like you're talking about yourself this year.

also, i know it's the internet, but pluralising words with 'z is not great if you are applying to study english at university.

as for unis which would possibly give you an offer, maybe leicester, loughborough and bham.
Reply 3
Are King's and Nottingham really harder to get into than Birmingham? Are we talking purely in terms of the usual offers made? I would have thought the English Dept at Birmingham had a better rep than either of the others...
Reply 4
The OP won't get into KCL, probably not Warwick. Dunno about Nottingham, the course is awful anyway, but has a good chance with the other three. Birmingham and Leicester both having a good reputation for English; dunno about Loughborough.

To ziggurated, I'd say KCL is most probably the hardest to get into out of those 6 for English and is close with Warwick in terms of reputation. Birmingham is good but I wouldn't say it has a better reputation than KCL by any means.
Reply 5
i had the film studies qualification in mind. whilst all unis offer AAB i think, i can imagine bham letting someone in who might have taken film studies. i might be wrong though, because quite a few lecutuers in the english department always moan about people who take film studies as an extra module. that said, the bham admissions tutors say they weclome things like critical thinking as a full A level in its own right as one of the three for the offer..

i don't know which unis have the better departments, but i was thinking more along the lines of snobbery regarding certain subjects at A level.
Reply 6
Alexii
To ziggurated, I'd say KCL is most probably the hardest to get into out of those 6 for English and is close with Warwick in terms of reputation. Birmingham is good but I wouldn't say it has a better reputation than KCL by any means.

Wow, really? I mean, I would have put Warwick in a separate category altogether. They have some really big names in their department. But perhaps that's irrelevant as far as undergrad goes? As far as I can see, KCL's position has been hopelessly inflated ever since it somehow came top of the Guardian's subject list a couple of years ago. (I should point out that I mean no offence to those who go to KCL - hell, I did my MA there - but I just hadn't thought of it as being in the big league.)

Anyway, as usual, I'm wandering hopelessly off-topic. Don't mind me.
Reply 7
silence

as for unis which would possibly give you an offer, maybe leicester, loughborough and bham.

yeah, agreed.
Reply 8
my answer is just a guess and probably a biased by personal experience. i applied to notts with an AAB prediction but my A levels were english, french and latin. they rejected me and i don't think my application would have been boosted if i'd taken film studies instead of a language. and i had a few A*s at gcse, though i know it's not alll about grades.
Reply 9
from what I rememember of the nottingham open day, you needed 5 or 6 A* at GCSE to even be considered. warwick is also very competitive with people with AAA predictions rejected in droves last year (if you got an interview that could swing it)

It's so easy to be misled by the typical offers (Edinburgh's BBB is the classic).

think you should be ok with your other choices though.

good luck
Reply 10
That's not true with Nottingham, or at least wasn't last year. My girlfriend has 2 A*s at GCSE but got an offer.
Reply 11
peachmelba
from what I rememember of the nottingham open day, you needed 5 or 6 A* at GCSE to even be considered.

Untrue, I only got three and they gave me an offer of ABB :smile:
Reply 12
I hate Nottingham, it has such a ****e course.
Reply 13
I love the course. Clearly it wasn't for you though, what don't you like about it? xx
Reply 14
I can't remember exactly; but I think it was because I didn't really want to read any books.
Reply 15
Ha ha, good response. I find myself thinking the same, but only because that's exactly what I have to do.
Reply 16
Don't forget the importance of the personal statement - I got rejected from KCL with 4 predicted A's at A Level and 6 A*s at GCSE, and I'm pretty sure it's because I tailored my PS towards Sussex (i.e. tried to make it a bit kooky!) which was my first choice - luckily I got in!
silence

also, i know it's the internet, but pluralising words with 'z is not great if you are applying to study english at university.

can i just say, I don't know why people are analysing the way people write on here so much like that. Afterall, im sure the person is not a dimwit and going to write like that in an essay. This is on the internet you can write how you want.
Reply 18
the thing is, it's not truncating - apostrophes were added z was used instead of s. just seemed a bit illogical.
Reply 19
silence
the thing is, it's not truncating - apostrophes were added z was used instead of s. just seemed a bit illogical.

Agreed.

Latest

Trending

Trending