The Student Room Group

Should I tell my peers I have Asperger's after 3 years?

So should I go ahead and tell them? Im a real outsider sort of figure and im considered really eccentric to euphemise "lunatic" XD

Should I tell one of the people im on good terms with and let him/ask him to tell others? Im tired of being judged by normal standards of social conduct and attracting labels like "psycho" or whatever else people might describe me as behind my back

Hw should I go about it?
If you think it could help them understand you better, then I think you should go for it. Tell them what Asperger's means specifically for you, so they'll get a good understanding on why you are and work the way you do.
Reply 2
Original post by Legilimency
If you think it could help them understand you better, then I think you should go for it. Tell them what Asperger's means specifically for you, so they'll get a good understanding on why you are and work the way you do.

:-) thanks! but how?
Original post by Anonymous
:-) thanks! but how?

Asking them to sit down with you one day and telling them there's someting you want to talk to them about. Then perhaps you continue by saying the might have noticed you acting odd and weirdly. After mentioning that, you could follow up by explain that you being different is because you are autistic. The, of course, you'd have to tell a bit about what autism is and what the diagnose means for you; what's autistic about you. Then you could end with taking questions if there's anything your friends would like to ask or if there's something they wonder. That's up to you and this is just an example. Adapt it to suite you needs and preferences!
Reply 4
I made a half assed attempt on facebook but the person hasn't got back to me yet which is awkward. I pm'ed a glen gould vid to one of my classmates and mentioned that he's an inspiration as a fellow Aspergian. Wish I hadn't now. I cant really mention it to anyone else either now
Never tell a soul.
So should I go ahead and tell them? Im a real outsider sort of figure and im considered really eccentric to euphemise "lunatic" XD

Should I tell one of the people im on good terms with and let him/ask him to tell others? Im tired of being judged by normal standards of social conduct and attracting labels like "psycho" or whatever else people might describe me as behind my back

Hw should I go about it?

If you want to. I don't think it's a huge deal to be honest, it's just a label, it doesn't change who you are - you're still very much the same person you were before telling them! I don't think any of my friends particularly cared to be honest, everyone knew that there was something a little odd about me anyway so the response to me saying "I've got Asperger's" was probably something like "Oh, okay".
NO NO NO NEVER!! please, i have autism, its a devilish disorder which has given me depression. If you tell people your aspergers - thats it really, they will treat you much more worse
NO NO NO NEVER!! please, i have autism, its a devilish disorder which has given me depression. If you tell people your aspergers - thats it really, they will treat you much more worse

That really doesn't have to be the case... It certainly isn't in my situation.
Reply 9
I have already told one person s of 2 hours ago and no reply so im not sure what to do next really
I have already told one person s of 2 hours ago and no reply so im not sure what to do next really

ffs why??? do you feel comfortable being autistic? if you do then its fine but if you dont and the person has not replied back to you, it basically means his/her trying to think of an excuse of your case whether be it good or bad
Fundamentally, it shouldn't matter whether they know or not. I'd slip into conversation and if they treat you differently without realising then have a word. If they do it on purpose then they're not your friends.
...surely they already know if you're "like that"?
Reply 13
I made a half assed attempt on facebook but the person hasn't got back to me yet which is awkward. I pm'ed a glen gould vid to one of my classmates and mentioned that he's an inspiration as a fellow Aspergian. Wish I hadn't now. I cant really mention it to anyone else either now

You shouldn't have done it on fb, important things should be said carefully, face to face. That way you can see how they take it and react to it yourself.

No need to panick. Perhaps he or she hasn't seen the message yet or need some time to digest the message. Try to be calm and cool about it. I suggest talking about it eye to eye when you find the time.
Reply 15
We have a couple of Aspies at uni and they've always been open about it. If anything, when they first arrived, they overdid it and worked their Aspergers into every conversation! If they hadn't mentioned it then they might just have been viewed as a bit eccentric. But knowing about it, staff and students just shrug and understand.

It's helped the staff, especially as dissertation supervisors. They understand that one of them tends to get sidetracked and fixated on topics which are irrelevant to their actual research. Knowing about the Aspergers, staff can help them implement strategies which get them back on the proper research path. That student now has a folder of notes about "interesting things" which they can go back to once the diss is complete. Some of the subjects might even feed into a postgrad project, so they're still valued and useful.
Look. I have Asperger's and I didn't tell my school about it for three years. I told a few people and it explained my quirks. If they can't accept it, then that's their problem. I was worried that I would be discriminated against but in fact it's the opposite. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending