The Student Room Group

What are the effects of abusive parenting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
From what I've experienced when I was younger it's made me take a lot longer to warm up to people and trust them than a lot of other people

Also got low self esteem and depression, it's taken a lot of work on myself to become more loud/happier/trusting and realising I'm worth something
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
It vastly depends on the child and everything that represents their enviroment. For example: physical abuse (that in itself being varied) could make the child abusive as well, or very submissive, accepting beatings as they come from other people as well; It's very true that some kids will feel as if it is their fault they are being abused, but at the same time others won't and they'll blame it on the agressor. Some might try to escape, some not.

An example for emotional abuse: let's say that you keep on telling your offspring that they are useless. Again and again, always the same story; no praise, negativity enough to eat them up. Here I'd say that it would mostly result in them lacking any motivation and feeling as a failure, actually not managing to do anything good (I have no data), or in them going against that and fighting even harder.

Sometimes abuse might also give birth to dangerous fetishes/ways to feel pleasure inside the victim's mind, or at least to such desires that society views as 'abnormal' and 'gross'.

The common thread to their stories: I don't actually think that any kid that grows up like this (is exposed to abuse for long) will grow up healthy. Somewhere, something will begin to go in weird directions at some point. Of course, many don't turn dangerous, but they may be unhappy and definately scarred. Depression, anxiety, shyness, specific hatred of people, may of course form, some more likely than others.

But living in such a stressful enviroment can do so much worse to the mind. For example, schizophrenia can install in earlier years than normal for people who have this mental issue, early 20s. It can cause speech impediments. So much, so many consequences.
Reply 22
Original post by upagumtree
I think enrolling in a subject you have little interest in is a mistake, to be honest, no matter what its job prospects are. My brother-in-law is an engineer. He and my sis live comfortably but I just think.....how dull!

This is exactly my gut feeling about it.
I just feel that engineering will land me in a prison of maths and physics for the rest of my life... :frown:

Not only that, but I suspect that the great "career prospects" for engineers only apply to younger engineers anyway?
I have read countless times now that the "STEM shortage" is a myth, and how there is a lot of ageism in engineering.

So imagine all that hard work only to leave engineering after 10-20 years.

Don't get too caught up in what the job prospects are for psychology students. There is nothing wrong with just doing a degree because of your interest in it. You will end up doing something you love eventually. What subject is more likely to lead to a career in research into abuse; engineering or psychology?

Exactly! Exactly!!

I think that because I have been "poor" (by western standards though) for most of my life. Going to uni is seen as an opportunity to become "well off", but on the other hand it's not really for myself but for my parents? :frown:
So I felt guilty for following what I want for myself...

On the other hand though, my parents don't really pressure me about this any more, but I have still not been able to get rid of this fear and anxiety about it.

There are a few people in my class who have already completed psychology degrees and it is most likely the thing that boosted their chances of getting into MH nursing. So there are uses for a psychology degree even if we don't all become psychologists or psychiatrists after the four years.

Here's another option, if you are concerned about spending 3/4 years at uni fearing the job market. Consider getting work as a healthcare assistant to see if you might be suited to work as a nurse. Annoyingly you have to start off doing general nursing/care of the elderly work before you can work with people with mental health problems but doing it part-time to begin with will give you an idea of what its like.

Thank you so much for this,

Honestly the job market has made me so scared that I thought I would flee back to the Netherlands (grew up there), where it would hopefully be less competitive for graduates. Since a tiny minority of school leavers go to university there, but of course I still expect some competition, but not as fierce as in the UK.

Having said that, I think it would be best for you to study psychology, maybe do a pHD or masters or postgrad or something and try to get into research.

I'm honestly scared off doing a Phd because I have heard a lot about how tough and long it is, but if it means that it would give me the chance to do research just like Alice Miller or Bowlby did, then I would definitely go for it.
It's definitely a long road, but I will take it step by step.

Interestingly one thing Alice Miller mentioned in one of her books was how people with cruel childhoods have a lot of difficulty meeting their own needs and knowing what they want from life, because they're so alienated from their own feelings.

I guess I'm a good example of that, since I know that research into childhood is one of my interests (an needs), but all I'm familiar with, are my parents (and society's) expectations of getting into a "good" career.
Which is what reinforces my fear and guilt of pursuing what I really want? :frown:

Luckily I can see through this now and thank you for supporting me :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
I've read quite a few online things about it and, from what I can remember, child abuse (I'm talking emotional abuse here but physical abuse probably causes these things as well) just lends itself to mental health problems later in life eg depression, anxiety, low self esteem, potential eating disorders etc

And I suppose a child who has suffered abuse will think it's their fault and, what hurts is, you probably love your family and want to be involved in their lives, but perhaps you're also left feeling that you don't want anything to do with them? You think these people are toxic and not good for you mentally, but they're the only family you have so you have to/want to be with them?

In your opinion, do you think that people with abusive childhoods fear being abandoned emotionally by their parents, especially if they are still young and dependent on them?

Also what in your opinion, happens to all that anger, fear and resentment as a result of abuse, where does it go?

And is forgiveness of cruelty important in your opinion?

Thank you,

flame.
Reply 24
Original post by Infan2a
From what I've experienced when I was younger it's made me take a lot longer to warm up to people and trust them than a lot of other people

Also got low self esteem and depression, it's taken a lot of work on myself to become more loud/happier/trusting and realising I'm worth something

I'm so sorry for that :frown:

I can definitely relate to the massive lack of trust in other people.
I only realized later when I tried to understand these feelings, why I still felt the need to be so distrustful of other people.

Out of interest, how have you dealt with these difficult feelings so far?

And do you feel that you should forgive the people that were cruel to you when you were young?
Reply 25
Original post by iama
It vastly depends on the child and everything that represents their enviroment. For example: physical abuse (that in itself being varied) could make the child abusive as well, or very submissive, accepting beatings as they come from other people as well; It's very true that some kids will feel as if it is their fault they are being abused, but at the same time others won't and they'll blame it on the agressor. Some might try to escape, some not.

An example for emotional abuse: let's say that you keep on telling your offspring that they are useless. Again and again, always the same story; no praise, negativity enough to eat them up. Here I'd say that it would mostly result in them lacking any motivation and feeling as a failure, actually not managing to do anything good (I have no data), or in them going against that and fighting even harder.

Sometimes abuse might also give birth to dangerous fetishes/ways to feel pleasure inside the victim's mind, or at least to such desires that society views as 'abnormal' and 'gross'.

The common thread to their stories: I don't actually think that any kid that grows up like this (is exposed to abuse for long) will grow up healthy. Somewhere, something will begin to go in weird directions at some point. Of course, many don't turn dangerous, but they may be unhappy and definately scarred. Depression, anxiety, shyness, specific hatred of people, may of course form, some more likely than others.

But living in such a stressful enviroment can do so much worse to the mind. For example, schizophrenia can install in earlier years than normal for people who have this mental issue, early 20s. It can cause speech impediments. So much, so many consequences.

Wow, I pretty much agree with the above imo.
I don't know what else to say.

But where and how have you learned this information?
In my opinion, child abuse/mistreatment is still not a thing of the past, since it's still taboo.
The are of emotional abuse and corporal punishment is also still quite taboo imo.
See Bowlby on adulthood attachment. There are also correlates with adulthood obesity and academic achievement etc.
Original post by tinyflame
Hello,

I'm just interested to see what most people's opinions are about this topic in TSR.

My question is

What effects does abusive parenting have on children?

And I mean that the child suffers from any type of abuse, from physical to emotional.

And what have you read about this topic, any books, articles, documentaries, any neuroscience on this etc. ?

Feel free to discuss, I'm interested in what responses this question raises...

Anxiety, depression, low self-esteem and awful social skills.
Reply 28
I'm so sorry for that :frown:

I can definitely relate to the massive lack of trust in other people.
I only realized later when I tried to understand these feelings, why I still felt the need to be so distrustful of other people.

Out of interest, how have you dealt with these difficult feelings so far?

And do you feel that you should forgive the people that were cruel to you when you were young?

And I can't really help it, I might meet a really nice person but I just subconsciously distrust them immediately, it's been one of the hardest things to stop doing

And I could have probably dealt with it a lot better if I had gone to see someone but I learned that no on really cares about my problems so I dealt with them myself, when I was inevitably unable to deal with all my problems I turned to the extremes (suicide) before turning to self harm. It wasn't ideal and I don't really want my family to go through it again so that's all behind me.

And I forgive most people in my life nowadays, but I will never forgive what happened to me when I was younger :noway:
Reply 29
Original post by Infan2a

And I can't really help it, I might meet a really nice person but I just subconsciously distrust them immediately, it's been one of the hardest things to stop doing

And I could have probably dealt with it a lot better if I had gone to see someone but I learned that no on really cares about my problems so I dealt with them myself, when I was inevitably unable to deal with all my problems I turned to the extremes (suicide) before turning to self harm. It wasn't ideal and I don't really want my family to go through it again so that's all behind me.

I can also relate to this, for most of my life I felt guilty about feeling anger to my own parents, and even fear, because I was not allowed to recognize how they behaved (I was a child, still dependent on them). In fact I rarely even felt any anger when I was younger, it was all suppressed, I constantly had to distract myself from these feelings through addiction, which always lead to depression as a result.

Not only that, but I feel that most people, even my closest friends, always take the side of parents, even if they treated me destructively.
And because of this taboo, and pressure from other people to "stop complaining" (or forgive) it makes me feel alone with what I went through.

At the moment, I have just used Alice Miller's books and tried to deal with my feelings myself.
I feel that most therapist would just pressure me to forgive and manipulate how I feel towards my parents?

Have you had this experience too?

And I forgive most people in my life nowadays, but I will never forgive what happened to me when I was younger :noway:

I'm interested though, what has happened to all that anger and resentment, how have you dealt with it? (I mean the feelings you had towards your parents)

For me, I try my best to deal with them consciously, but sometimes my "repression" wins, and I prefer to be depressed (or addicted), rather than to feel so angry and disappointed all the time.
But on the other hand when I do succeed in being in contact with my emotions, I feel much more in control of my life.

Again thank you for being here :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Wow, I pretty much agree with the above imo.
I don't know what else to say.

But where and how have you learned this information?
In my opinion, child abuse/mistreatment is still not a thing of the past, since it's still taboo.
The are of emotional abuse and corporal punishment is also still quite taboo imo.

Ohh, thank you! I'm glad you agree. :smile:
Hmm, I wouldn't consider it taboo (where I am, at least), but I find it to be a trully interesting subject. I'm really into psychology (almost applied for a degree but damn, the job market sucks) and always loved observing and analysing stuff like these, other situations, their consequences, etc. This is what I think to be true. Where exactly? Well, from here and there, I know people :smile: What about you, how did you come to think this?
I don't really want to go into detail about the other parts because I don't like to talk about it and you seem to have enough helpful comments from other posters! But I feel like I can get along with almost anyone as I can't justify a reason to dislike someone as much as my abuser, if that makes sense? Although the exceptions to this are people who have traits that I can recognise in my abuser, e.g. appear self centred or manipulative and I quickly panic and shut these people out. I'm a bit paranoid about people manipulating me though so I probably have made some rash decisions due to my past :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by iama
Ohh, thank you! I'm glad you agree. :smile:
Hmm, I wouldn't consider it taboo (where I am, at least), but I find it to be a trully interesting subject. I'm really into psychology (almost applied for a degree but damn, the job market sucks)
I actually have the very same worries, I want to do a degree in forensic psychology, but I'm so scared about what the job prospects of it would be.
From what I've read, so many people say it's terrible and advise to study something with better job prospects like engineering for example.
But on the other hand engineering is not exactly easy either, and I would probably barely last until the 2nd year.

I mean I barely have an interest in engineering and I would dread the fact of doing maths for the rest of my life? :frown:
Not only that, but I pretty much want to do something about this issue of child abuse?

and always loved observing and analysing stuff like these, other situations, their consequences, etc. This is what I think to be true. Where exactly? Well, from here and there, I know people :smile: What about you, how did you come to think this?

Well for me, I personally suffered from addiction, anxiety and depression (and so much more) for a very, very long time in my life. Now that I'm more grown up, I have started to ask myself why it's so difficult for me to be comfortable with my feelings, especially when all the feelings I have are anger, pain and resentment.

Then slowly, I discovered Alice Miller's books, and from that point on, I just got massively interested in the subject of child abuse and why it happens. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by TheDaylighter
I don't really want to go into detail about the other parts because I don't like to talk about it and you seem to have enough helpful comments from other posters!

It's alright, you can go into this as much as you like.
I really want this to be a place where other people can open up and discuss with each other, I just talked a bit about myself to let others know why I'm interested in this subject.

But I feel like I can get along with almost anyone as I can't justify a reason to dislike someone as much as my abuser, if that makes sense? Although the exceptions to this are people who have traits that I can recognise in my abuser, e.g. appear self centred or manipulative and I quickly panic and shut these people out. I'm a bit paranoid about people manipulating me though so I probably have made some rash decisions due to my past :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am actually quite interested in how you have dealt with your feelings from the past towards these people (or person) who treated you cruelly?
It's alright, you can go into this as much as you like.
I really want this to be a place where other people can open up and discuss with each other, I just talked a bit about myself to let others know why I'm interested in this subject.

I am actually quite interested in how you have dealt with your feelings from the past towards these people (or person) who treated you cruelly?

Maybe I will open up at some point, I need to stop bottling it all up.

I don't deal with any negative feelings, I got so used to hiding them out of fear that I just bury them subconsciously now, I only know they're there when it all hits me in one big go.

I used to hate them but I've realised recently that this person doesn't actually intend to be cruel - they just have no capacity for seeing how they affect other people. It's made just accept that it is what it is and I count down the days until I can move away from it all and have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by TheDaylighter
Maybe I will open up at some point, I need to stop bottling it all up.

I don't deal with any negative feelings, I got so used to hiding them out of fear that I just bury them subconsciously now, I only know they're there when it all hits me in one big go.

You're definitely, definitely not the only person going through this.
I myself have a problem with facing my difficult memories and emotions, it's what makes me flee into addiction and what brings my depression.

As soon as I have the ability to face that pain and anger, to remember what happened to feel all of my feelings, not just the positive ones, that's when I, ironically start to actually feel better, because all that pressure to face my emotions just goes away. And more importantly, I get to understand my life and why I behave the way I do, from which I can start to change things for the better.

Alo, why do you feel that you have to hide your negative feelings out of fear?
What is it you fear? The unpleasant emotions, or the fear of being honest these people how you truly feel about them? Would these people punish you, if you were honest to them about this anger for example?

I used to hate them but I've realised recently that this person doesn't actually intend to be cruel - they just have no capacity for seeing how they affect other people. It's made just accept that it is what it is and I count down the days until I can move away from it all and have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the bold part, do you mean that you still live with these people?
Are you still dependent on them in anyway?
From my own experience, I can sometimes succumb to my guilt and fear of showing how I really feel towards my parents, which again leads me to depression/addiction.

The more I make myself independent (emotionally) of them, the less I feel guilty about what I feel, and the healthier I am.

If I'm honest, if you have a problem with feeling your negative feelings, then I would highly, highly recommend looking up Alice Miller, since her work is all about this problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
You're definitely, definitely not the only person going through this.
I myself have a problem with facing my difficult memories and emotions, it's what makes me flee into addiction and what brings my depression.

As soon as I have the ability to face that pain and anger, to remember what happened to feel all of my feelings, not just the positive ones, that's when I, ironically start to actually feel better, because all that pressure to face my emotions just goes away. And more importantly, I get to understand my life and why I behave the way I do, from which I can start to change things for the better.

In the bold part, do you mean that you still live with these people?
Are you still dependent on them in anyway?
From my own experience, I can sometimes succumb to my guilt and fear of showing how I really feel towards my parents, which again leads me to depression/addiction.

The more I make myself independent of them, the less I feel guilty about what I feel, and the healthier I am.

I've started to understand why I'm the way I am, I just wish I could overcome it now, I think I'll always be a little bit broken.

I don't really know how to deal with these feelings tbh, all I know is that the longer I spend away the happier I get. Spent 7 weeks away last summer and it was the best time of my life, fully got over my anxiety with minimal effort but when I went back home my depression was at it's worst. About the addiction part, I'm very much the same, I throw myself into working out when I feel crappy but I can't stop because I feel like it's kinda good for me?

I don't think I've ever felt guilty for my childhood, my sister and I were close and I think I turned out way better than I would have if I was an only child. I don't think I'd be strong enough to deal with all my issues as well as guilt! :colonhash:

Yeah the people are my parents (mainly my mum), I'm pretty self sufficient though, but I still have to rely on them for stuff sadly. I plan to cut them out completely as soon as I'm fully independent.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I can also relate to this, for most of my life I felt guilty about feeling anger to my own parents, and even fear, because I was not allowed to recognize how they behaved (I was a child, still dependent on them). In fact I rarely even felt any anger when I was younger, it was all suppressed, I constantly had to distract myself from these feelings through addiction, which always lead to depression as a result.

Not only that, but I feel that most people, even my closest friends, always take the side of parents, even if they treated me destructively.
And because of this taboo, and pressure from other people to "stop complaining" (or forgive) it makes me feel alone with what I went through.

At the moment, I have just used Alice Miller's books and tried to deal with my feelings myself.
I feel that most therapist would just pressure me to forgive and manipulate how I feel towards my parents?

Have you had this experience too?

I'm interested though, what has happened to all that anger and resentment, how have you dealt with it? (I mean the feelings you had towards your parents)

For me, I try my best to deal with them consciously, but sometimes my "repression" wins, and I prefer to be depressed (or addicted), rather than to feel so angry and disappointed all the time.
But on the other hand when I do succeed in being in contact with my emotions, I feel much more in control of my life.

Again thank you for being here :smile:

I wouldn't really know about the therapist bit, I only saw one once a week for a month or two after what happened

Once the guy who had caused all this was finally kicked out the house, I was obviously still not great so things like music played a huge part for me. When you suddenly stop seeing them and all the problems start to go away then that was my chance to recover

In order to recover too I've been really blunt with myself and I mean it worked because like 3 years ago when I was just starting to put faith in myself and stuff I got into my first proper relationship...It's sounds pretty sad/petty but that was a pretty huge step and I was actually really surprised that someone actually liked me after how much self hate I had for myself, since then things have just gone from strength to strength. :h:
Reply 38
I had to deal with my mums emotional abuse my whole life. Once I finally left I thought my depression would go, which I've had for about 5 years now, but instead it just got worse but in a different way. Agile at home my mood would be constantly bad with no break but now I have days where I can actually smile but in a split second from being happy my depression comes crashing back and I'll be in bad for a couple days not eating and barley drinking, just staring at the ceiling.

I've realised since I've left that I can't actually interact with people normally. I'm living with my bf now and we have the same sense of humour etc but I find I can't even make small banter with him or even laugh at things I'd usually find funny. I'm starting to display all the negativity that's built up inside me over the years and it feels like an unstoppable force. And everyday this continues the hatred I have for my mum builds up even more.

There is no excuse in abusing a child, but my mum would take out all her stress on me and make my life hell. I don't ever plan on seeing her again and I will certainly never forgive her for giving me so many mental health problems. It affects my friendships, my relationships, I failed college, affects my jobs and most of all it affects the way I view myself. I don't remember the last time I've truly been happy with my life and now I don't ever talk or laugh so I've pretty much become invisible to people. I want nothing more than to change and be able to talk normally again and laugh and smile but I don't know how.

I'm so angry inside and I cry randomly for no reason. And even when I confronted my mum and told her I tried to commit suicide at one point all she had to say was "that's stupid"

That bitch can rot in the ground for all I care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Like many things (sexuality for one) I think a massive problem here is that abuse is not always black and white. Obviously, certain patterns and types of abuse are unmistakably abuse. But there are others that are one parent's 'love' and another's 'abuse.' A classic example might be the parents who let their children eat to excess. The parents may be doing this out of 'love' but others would say that letting the children become obese is actually abuse. Also parents who discipline their children with a smack - some see this as 'abuse' whilst others see it as necessary to keep them in line.

And then there's the cultural and religious. Some would consider not allowing/strongly discouraging their teenage children to eat or drink anything from 2:30am to 10pm for a month as abuse - Muslims would call it Ramadan when it falls in June!

As everything is a mixture of the environmental and innate (the former can include random good/bad luck like getting run over by the #5 bus) a child *could* end up making disastrous life choices with brilliant parents and vice versa, some very strong individuals have emerged from utterly oppressive childhoods. But of course there is the correlation and good parenting correlates to a medium extent with well adjusted adults.

Often individuals fail as people due to society itself - parents can do their best to protect but we still live in a very challenging, hostile society in many ways.

Quick Reply

Latest