The Student Room Group

UCAS - Reference

Hi!

I am currently completing my UCAS application for 2015 and need some help.

I dont know who to put as a referee? I am not in college at the moment but i finished back in June. So could i use one of my old lecturers or anyone from the college to write my reference and how would i go about it? Should i just call/email them or actually go in and speak to someone?

If not, could i use one of my parents colleagues from work or is that not okay?

Need suggestions since the deadline is pretty soon next year!
Original post by Joeey
Hi!

I am currently completing my UCAS application for 2015 and need some help.

I dont know who to put as a referee? I am not in college at the moment but i finished back in June. So could i use one of my old lecturers or anyone from the college to write my reference and how would i go about it? Should i just call/email them or actually go in and speak to someone?

If not, could i use one of my parents colleagues from work or is that not okay?

Need suggestions since the deadline is pretty soon next year!
You will need an academic reference so you will have to contact the college. Most colleges will have something on file. Contact the head of sixth form or whoever is the equivalent. It doesn't matter how you make contact, but be aware that it will only be admin staff there now that the term has ended. You might want to email so that there is some evidence of your having contacted them. A phone call is likely to go astray at this stage. Using your parents' work colleagues is wholly inappropriate.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You will need an academic reference so you will have to contact the college. Most colleges will have something on file. Contact the head of sixth form or whoever is the equivalent. It doesn't matter how you make contact, but be aware that it will only be admin staff there now that the term has ended. You might want to email so that there is some evidence of your having contacted them. A phone call is likely to go astray at this stage. Using your parents' work colleagues is wholly inappropriate.

Okay thanks!

I know i should have contacted them really earlier this week since ill most likely have to complete this in the new year. Ill give them a call/email asap just incase i get a bit of bad luck at the start of the year.

I knew you couldn't use family/friends and people you know. Just thought anyone beyond that range is acceptable.

Ill get on it! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Joeey
Okay thanks!

I know i should have contacted them really earlier this week since ill most likely have to complete this in the new year. Ill give them a call/email asap just incase i get a bit of bad luck at the start of the year.

I knew you couldn't use family/friends and people you know. Just thought anyone beyond that range is acceptable.

Ill get on it! Thanks :smile:

Since you only left last summer, the universities will expect you to use your college. What they want is an academic reference, not a character one, so using people other than teachers etc is only a last resort for people who have been out of education for a long time, which you haven't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending