The Student Room Group

"Happy holidays" is bull**** Christian normativity.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kolasinac138
Yet you only criticize one religion. What a coincidence! :colondollar:

Well what can I do about the fact that practically all the threads are on Islam? If they were on others then I'd say the same. :biggrin:
Original post by Heirophant
I am religiously atheist and culturally jewish. I don't believe in god above, and I certainly don't believe in your little baby jesus. Furthermore, as someone who vividly remembers getting the crap kicked out of him in middle school for being the only jewish kid in the class, I can personally tell anyone who wants to say "it's just being nice! there's nothing wrong with it! it's just PC bull****." that otherization and the attempted normalization of one religious ideology has real world consequences for real people. It's not just you being nice, it's you actively participating in a system of control that is hurtful and offensive.

When you say happy holidays, what you are actually saying is "I think everyone should be celebrating Christmas right now, and I will make you celebrate it with me with a thinly veiled code word for Christmas."

This is true for two reasons. First, when you wish me happy holidays, you are only demonstrating your ignorance of the fact that the "Holiday" I am supposed to be celebrating ended roughly 2 weeks ago. If someone were to wish you happy holidays on January 9th you would look at them a little funny and wonder what they were talking about. I don't have to do that, because I know what you're actually talking about. You're talking about Christmas. Stop with the patronizing, faux-inclusive bull****.

The other reason it is true is because Hanukkah is not an important holiday. Like, at all. It is minor as all hell. In terms of important holidays Hanukkah is about as important as boxing day is. To Americans. It just happens to be almost exclusively the only Jewish holiday that Christians know about. It's almost as if this is because they trot it out to act like their Christmas celebrations are somehow secular. They sing 6 Christmas carols and 1 Hanukkah song at the kids "Holiday concert" and they go home in their nice little subaru foresters marveling at how cosmopolitan they all are.

From now on I am going to start wishing Christians "happy holidays" around Yom Kippur and then when they look at me funny explain to them that we're celebrating our important holidays together, so I was wishing them a wonderful St. Andrew's day. Thirty days in advance.

Seriously. Just stop it.
bud, calm down. All they said was "happy holidays." Not "convert to my religion or else you ****ing bastard."
Honestly just get over yourself, what must it be like in your head?
Just reading some of the back and forths in this thread, I really wish the downvote button still existed...
Original post by Ronove
I'm not entirely convinced that you're not just pulling Planta's leg here, but anyway: I am an atheist. My atheism means that I lack an active belief in god. I could also actively believe that there cannot be a god (for whatever reason, probability, science, purely emotional eg hatred of organised religion, etc), but that wouldn't make me 'more of' an atheist or anything like that. It is simply the fact that I do not actively believe in a god that means I am an atheist.

Original post by bittr n swt
Lol what a stupid thing to say. Athiests have no faith whatsoever

Original post by The Polymath
Nah, he doesn't.

Original post by Nogoodsorgods
It's not a religion in the sense that others are called religions.

Atheism has far less religious meaning in its own right then the importance of, say, Star Wars or the TV show Friends.

Atheism basically says God is not sufficiently proven. You can point to physical or mental phenemonon but you don't have a proof that God made them.

Unlike, say, Star Wars or Friends, atheism doesn't necessarily say that being atheist should make you a) try to be more of anything in your life
nor b) try to be less of anything in your life.

When an atheist does think about a best way for OTHER people to live their life (or a best way to live their OWN life), they hopefully realise that, like Star Wars or Friends (or, arguably, a religion) what they are trying to do is create a community or fanbase - whether that's a community of one if they're deliberately a loner who gains a thrill from having an original interest that no others or only a few have - or a community of a few carefully chosen people or a community of many.

Some say that a higher percentage of people employed in intellectual occupations tend to be atheists.

Well firstly I must put across an oppostite view which is that might be the case for an 'everyday' genius if one can be called that but that some (not all) 'supergeniuses' might be more inclined to believe in God- or at least to want to believe in God. If genius is something that they wish to preserve - or something that they do not feel has been properly rewardded in this life- then of course they are going to want an afterlife.

Fortunately, some of those also realise that does not, in itself, mean that God does not exist. All it means that, on AVERAGE, people who have the WILL, MEANS, OPPORTUNITY and SUPPORT to end up employed in intellectual occupations tend to call themselves atheists, who might allow that 'I don't or can't know whether or not God exists' HOWEVER, going beyond mere agnosticism, the combination of that lack of being able to know and the evidence of the world leads them to BELIEVE that there is no God.
A belief that, unless other evidence arises, they could argue it is reasonable to say is consistent with other long held beliefs such as that it will be relatively safe to leave the house in a morning because gravity will not suddenly cease to exist. Therefore atheism becomes less like a belief and more like a 'this is how it is. I'm aware of gravity existing every day and I'm aware of not experiencing unicorns nor God'.

If you say atheism is a faith then you must also say that not belieivng in a flying teapot in the sky is a faith and that leaving the house on a morning and not expecting once friendly seeming people to kill you is a faith.
And, sadly, that's exactly what life is. The more faith we seem to have in others, the more likely they seem to have in us.

But the more faith we have in God the more faith God has in us is a leap that, whilst many do hold it to be a true,, for an atheist might as well be a trip in to madness- or at least a childhood regression, a naive, harmless and charming thought of imaginary friends.

You all believe there is no god.
Reply 45
Original post by KingCorneliusIII
And if anything you celebrate Xmas, Christmas refers to the birth of Christ which Christians celebrate. Xmas is just an excuse for atheists to get some presents and time off school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christmas is a holiday that Christians stole from the pagans. Enjoy your Christmas tree, I'm sure Jesus loved his. :curious:

Snagprophet
You all believe there is no god.

Evidence would strongly suggest there is no god - at least no god in the sense of the ones we have been banging on about for millennia. Therefore I don't actively believe there is a god, and I even lean towards it being highly likely that there cannot be a god of any kind - though the latter depends on definitions, and it isn't what makes me an atheist.

That also doesn't mean I fill the gaps with my own hypotheses. It's quite easy to just not come to conclusions where there is no evidence to draw conclusions from. The only way in which religion and deities are relevant to my life is the way it makes other people act. Otherwise it is entirely possible to just not think about it. At all. I don't actively believe anything on faith.
(edited 9 years ago)
Jheeez, so you can't even wish someone a happy holiday without them thinking you're trying to convert them/an ulterior motive. Chill out. You're in a Christian country, obviously them wishing you a happy holiday would revolve around their calender, not yours.

I'd hate to think of your thought process when someone tells you 'good morning'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove

Evidence would strongly suggest there is no god - at least no god in the sense of the ones we have been banging on about for millennia. Therefore I don't actively believe there is a god, and I even lean towards it being highly likely that there cannot be a god of any kind - though the latter depends on definitions, and it isn't what makes me an atheist.

That also doesn't mean I fill the gaps with my own hypotheses. It's quite easy to just not come to conclusions where there is no evidence to draw conclusions from. The only way in which religion and deities are relevant to my life is the way it makes other people act. Otherwise it is entirely possible to just not think about it. At all. I don't actively believe anything on faith.

There's no evidence of a god, but there is also no evidence there is no god either.
Reply 48
Original post by Snagprophet
There's no evidence of a god, but there is also no evidence there is no god either.

OK you're trolling. That's fine. Carry on.
Original post by Ronove
OK you're trolling. That's fine. Carry on.

That was the only comment I made in this thread that's not a troll.
Reply 50
Original post by Snagprophet
That was the only comment I made in this thread that's not a troll.

But you know it's not possible to prove a negative. If you get vague enough in your description then it's an unfalsifiable claim. But you also know that the big religions are full of claims that are far from unfalsifiable.

(Mainly saying this for the benefit of the hard-of-thinking that may be reading, rather than you.)
Original post by Ronove
Christmas is a holiday that Christians stole from the pagans. Enjoy your Christmas tree, I'm sure Jesus loved his. :curious:

While you are partly correct in saying we stole the christmas tree from the pagans. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ and seeing as the pagans did not believe in Christ we did not actually steal the holiday itself from the pagans.
Original post by KingCorneliusIII

While you are partly correct in saying we stole the christmas tree from the pagans. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ and seeing as the pagans did not believe in Christ we did not actually steal the holiday itself from the pagans.

Well Jesus was born in spring or summer, not winter.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well Jesus was born in spring or summer, not winter.

Irrelevant, Christmas still celebrates the birth of Christ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Stop derailing this thread please
Well. Peoples religious beliefs aside the UK is still a nation that is at least culturally christian evidenced by the fact that most of the people celebrating Christmas are not Christians. It's a cultural holiday now more than it is a religious one, which is why I see absolutely no issue with happy christmas being the default greeting this time of year.
Reply 56
This is great example of why political correctness is such a toxic thing - whatever you try and do, it will never be enough and people will continue to whine. In fact, the more that you try and accomodate people, the louder they will complain that you arent doing enough. Noone used to complain about "Merry Christmas" but now that society has tried to be more 'inclusive' through the "Happy Holidays" thing, weakness has been smelt and we now have to listen to stuff like this.

Minorities in countries which are overtly and openly Christian like Spain/Italy/etc dont complain about this stuff, they only do it in the US/UK because we try to be 'nice' and accomodate them, and it can just never, ever be enough. Its similar to how (eg) male feminists need to endure constant whining about how they arent being allies in the right way, while everyone else just ignores it. The more you try and do, the more others try to exploit your good nature and increase their demands..
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Jewish / Atheist and I think you're a douche OP.

Christians say happy holidays because it's a Christian country and they have every right to celebrate their festival, and do it anywhere they want, and they are being nice by not forcing it onto you, instead just saying "have a nice time at this time of year".

Also, Christians generally don't know much about Judaism but a lot of them DO know about Chanukah so that's why they say it. Stop whining like a little kid.
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
I guess that you either don't believe in God OR don't think that believing in God / claiming to believe in God has generally been a good thing for the world whether or not God actually exists.

But to say that the idea of God is offensive?

That doesn't compute. If God created everything then it's God's ball game. God would get the right to INVENT what is good and bad.

Plus God would get the right for supposedly bad things to happen to supposedly good people and vice versa.

For it would be God who would be the objective decider of how the grand scheme of things will pan out- in this world AND an afterlife.

You can still have your own ball game within God's (or society's) ball game. But it can be difficult. It's easier, if you're moral, to go along with the idea that there is a God who has a ball game. Otherwise the immorality of others will start to drive you mad with anger.

However- I don't currently believe in God. So that might partly explain why I'm mad with anger with the world and with a lazy band of 'intellectuals' (or not to intellectual) who lack, say, Dawkins's erudition, who, unlike him, feel smug looking down on believers without feeling that they have to justify why belief, for them personally, is an error.

I fail to see why God would have any rights over me just because he created the universe. My parents created me, they do not own me and nor should they. I reject entirely the concept of ownership over human beings. I don't look down on believers as people, they are absolutely equal to me, I look down on beliefs. There's an important distinction between disliking a people and disliking an idea. Belief is just an idea.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I fail to see why God would have any rights over me just because he created the universe.

What are you going to do- go to the Court of Human Rights and say that it's unfair that the very creator of the universe, if they exist, might be judging and picking on you?

And then the court, at great financial expense, can come up with some judgement that has absolutely no bearing - or even the opposite effect - on God because God, understandably, wouldn't wish to be dictated to by a human created legal system? And God would say, why are you, out of all of the billions of people, to be allowed to be entirely free to murder in private without consequence during life (if the police don't catch you) or after death (whichever God chooses depending on what good aspects that person might have, however bad some of their deeds). Death itself is not a punishment as such as all people die.
So is a guilty feeling that cannot be shaken off even if it manifests itself in to some kind of physical nervousness (I see it in many people) that puts off the truly good evidence of God's power over people?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending