The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering-University choice

Hi everyone,
I've currently applied to study Mechanical Engineering at university and I've received all 5 of my offers from Nottingham, Warwick, UCL, Birmingham, and Loughborough.

However I'm not sure which to firm, can anyone give me any advice on what their opinions are of these units?

Im inclined towards Nottingham because its ranked the highest, has a really good night life and is really really good for sport (Im a sporty guy). I got 5As at AS and 9A*s and 1A at GCSE.

Thanks
Original post by thegayman
Hi everyone,
I've currently applied to study Mechanical Engineering at university and I've received all 5 of my offers from Nottingham, Warwick, UCL, Birmingham, and Loughborough.

However I'm not sure which to firm, can anyone give me any advice on what their opinions are of these units?

Im inclined towards Nottingham because its ranked the highest, has a really good night life and is really really good for sport (Im a sporty guy). I got 5As at AS and 9A*s and 1A at GCSE.

Thanks

Go for the one you think you'd enjoy the most. They're all really great universities - I think it's more important looking at which ones you think you'd enjoy attending rather than examining petty differences in league tables. From the sound of what you're saying, Nottingham would look like a great choice (although Loughborough is also very good for sport apparently).
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Go for the one you think you'd enjoy the most. They're all really great universities - I think it's more important looking at which ones you think you'd enjoy attending rather than examining petty differences in league tables. From the sound of what you're saying, Nottingham would look like a great choice (although Loughborough is also very good for sport apparently).

hey, thanks for the feedback. I was only comparing universities on league tables as it gave me a good idea of where students should aim, but I've heard that facilities and the course isn't enjoyable at places like ucl and warwick despite them being very successful universities.
hey, thanks for the feedback. I was only comparing universities on league tables as it gave me a good idea of where students should aim, but I've heard that facilities and the course isn't enjoyable at places like ucl and warwick despite them being very successful universities.

I know that UCL's student satisfaction is very low but a lot of UCL students don't actually seem to know why.
I'd say go for Nottingham or Warwick depending on which campus you prefer. UCL's mechanical department has a horrible reputation, Loughborough has a bad reputation as a student city, Birmingham is a somewhat dodgy uni given their practices with using unconditional offers to lure people in.
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say go for Nottingham or Warwick depending on which campus you prefer. UCL's mechanical department has a horrible reputation, Loughborough has a bad reputation as a student city, Birmingham is a somewhat dodgy uni given their practices with using unconditional offers to lure people in.

Cheers for the feedback, in your opinion would you say Nottingham is a university that is respected by job employers? And would it stand out when applying to the higher paid jobs? Thanks
Cheers for the feedback, in your opinion would you say Nottingham is a university that is respected by job employers? And would it stand out when applying to the higher paid jobs? Thanks

Depends what you're applying to, from what I know Nottingham doesn't particularly stand out for engineering, but if you're applying for say finance or IB you should have a reasonable chance as it's a semi target uni, although Warwick would probably give better prospects for those areas.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Depends what you're applying to, from what I know Nottingham doesn't particularly stand out for engineering, but if you're applying for say finance or IB you should have a reasonable chance as it's a semi target uni, although Warwick would probably give better prospects for those areas.

again thanks for taking the time to read this. I was indeed thinking of either going into finance/IB with my degree. Assuming i graduated with a 1st class honours and a masters in mechanical engineering, which would look better to job employers from say for example Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan; a graduate from Nottingham or a graduate from Warwick?
again thanks for taking the time to read this. I was indeed thinking of either going into finance/IB with my degree. Assuming i graduated with a 1st class honours and a masters in mechanical engineering, which would look better to job employers from say for example Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan; a graduate from Nottingham or a graduate from Warwick?

People here will say Warwick but I don't care, you'll be on equal footing. If you have the ECs, the experience and the drive - you'll fare well at either university.

Honestly, any top 20 university will give you a shot at finance/consulting. I'm quite tired of TSR touting the 'targets' and 'semi-targets'; that system is more fitting in the US where interviews are conducted on campus.

It would be best to ask that in the IB subforum. I think Warwick would have a slight advantage but don't quote me on that.

Quick Reply

Latest