The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yea, 5A is great. Leicester is a pretty good university for Law:smile:
Reply 2
What use do you think an excellent grading for "research" will be to you as an undergrad?
Reply 3
Well i think the research grading us useful otherwise why would the university say what theres is.
Reply 4
hussain1403
Well i think the research grading us useful otherwise why would the university say what theres is.

Because any University is going to want to show off about any of its achievements even though some of them may be of peripheral relevance to you. The fact is that an excellent research grading is of far more importance to postgrads (rather than undergrads) although I recognise that such a grading may also be reflective of the general quality of staff.

I think their 5A grading dates back to 2001. Are all the staff who were present then, still employed at the faculty?

My understanding is that Leicester is a relatively good Uni. Just be careful you base your own assessment on criteria which are directly relevant to you.
Reply 5
A kind Oxford Admissions tutor (Head of Admissions) told me that research quality isn't really relevant at all, it's just a way for unis to get higher in the rankings and look better to undergrads. Of course they try and make it look relevant by saying things like "This means you'll be taught about all the new advancements/stuff we find out etc.." - though this is extremely unlikely to be the case. Furthermore, he said that a good research quality kind of goes against/clashes with good teaching quality and a Uni which actually cares about its students - since if they're busy researching they're not teaching/concerned about what their students are getting up to.

Obviously, I'm not saying a Uni can't possess those qualities whilst being good at research (e.g. Leicester probably) - but when it comes down to it judge a uni by many other factors first than research quality.
You would hope that every uni teaches you about the recent developments in the law... but generally I'd say it's relevant more to postgrads and stuff and yeah it's just an excuse for league tables! Good facilities might assist you doing a dissertation I suppose.
ive just started law at leicester. i you have any questions pm me. i will try and reply as quick as possible.

Latest