The Student Room Group

Is mathematics with physics a applicable option?

Hi everybody! I am thinking about applying for mathematics with physics. I feel myself more attracted by theoretical physics than experimental one... But the cambridge website does not provide much material on this option----maths with physics. Is this course a popular one? Or is it only for a minority of us who have unusual hobbies... (I mean, love physics yet more appreciate mathematical beauty)
More importantly, is this option very competitive? I've seen a thread talking that this option is INSANELY competitive... That sounds daunting to me!!
Reply 1
Original post by Rexsun
Hi everybody! I am thinking about applying for mathematics with physics. I feel myself more attracted by theoretical physics than experimental one... But the cambridge website does not provide much material on this option----maths with physics. Is this course a popular one? Or is it only for a minority of us who have unusual hobbies... (I mean, love physics yet more appreciate mathematical beauty)
More importantly, is this option very competitive? I've seen a thread talking that this option is INSANELY competitive... That sounds daunting to me!!

The maths with physics course means in first year you do 3/4 of the maths tripos (though in practice from what I gather most end up basically doing all of the maths anyway) and the physics from 1st year Natsci tripos (which is 1/4 of Natsci). (I think the physics replaces the maths numbers and sets or something) Then in 2nd year you can decide to either continue doing maths, or switch to Natsci and do double physics and maths. So for more info about the course, look at the info on maths and the physics part of natsci. :smile:

I think it's a minority of mathmos who do maths with physics. It is intended for people interested in theoretical physics. I guess the course would be about as competitive as just maths (and you'd have to do STEP).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Claree
The maths with physics course means in first year you do 3/4 of the maths tripos (though in practice from what I gather most end up basically doing all of the maths anyway) and the physics from 1st year Natsci tripos (which is 1/4 of Natsci). (I think the physics replaces the maths numbers and sets or something) Then in 2nd year you can decide to either continue doing maths, or switch to Natsci and do double physics and maths. So for more info about the course, look at the info on maths and the physics part of natsci. :smile:

I think it's a minority of mathmos who do maths with physics. It is intended for people interested in theoretical physics. I guess the course would be about as competitive as just maths (and you'd have to do STEP).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Claree. Are you doing maths in Cambridge? I am not sure about whether to apply for natural science or maths with physics.. I think I prefer maths with physics, but perhaps I am a bit afraid of not getting in... if maths is very competitive.
May I ask if I should do Step II or Step III in year 12? I'm studying AS level at this moment.
Reply 3
Original post by Rexsun
Thanks Claree. Are you doing maths in Cambridge? I am not sure about whether to apply for natural science or maths with physics.. I think I prefer maths with physics, but perhaps I am a bit afraid of not getting in... if maths is very competitive.
May I ask if I should do Step II or Step III in year 12? I'm studying AS level at this moment.

I'm doing phys natsci at Cambridge. :smile: But at one point I was considering applying for maths with physics. The conpetitve part of getting in for maths is STEP. A greater proportion of applicants get offers for maths than for natsci, so I guess consider how confident you are that you could meet a STEP offer.

Are you in Y12 now? STEP II requires knowledge of A2 maths and STEP III A2 further maths so if you had only done AS before attempting them then you would struggle unless you taught yourself e.g. at least C3-4 and FP1-3. I personally would not do STEP II or III this year if you weren't confident of getting at least a 1 in each. If you were confident of that in Y12, then you would not need to worry much about maths being too competitive! Have you done STEP I?

I would then apply for the subject you would rather do, because if you got in, you'd actually have to do it! Besides physics, would you rather the rest of the 1st year was maths or a mix of mathematical methods and two other experimental sciences e.g. computer science, chemistry, materials science? I'm inclined to think that maths with physics would be better preparation if you were set on theoretical physics. If you were to not end up doing theoretical physics, what could you see yiurself doing otherwise: would it be pure/applied maths or another science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Claree
I'm doing phys natsci at Cambridge. :smile: But at one point I was considering applying for maths with physics. The conpetitve part of getting in for maths is STEP. A greater proportion of applicants get offers for maths than for natsci, so I guess consider how confident you are that you could meet a STEP offer.

Are you in Y12 now? STEP II requires knowledge of A2 maths and STEP III A2 further maths so if you had only done AS before attempting them then you would struggle unless you taught yourself e.g. at least C3-4 and FP1-3. I personally would not do STEP II or III this year if you weren't confident of getting at least a 1 in each. If you were confident of that in Y12, then you would not need to worry much about maths being too competitive! Have you done STEP I?

I would then apply for the subject you would rather do, because if you got in, you'd actually have to do it! Besides physics, would you rather the rest of the 1st year was maths or a mix of mathematical methods and two other experimental sciences e.g. computer science, chemistry, materials science? I'm inclined to think that maths with physics would be better preparation if you were set on theoretical physics. If you were to not end up doing theoretical physics, what could you see yiurself doing otherwise: would it be pure/applied maths or another science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Claree for your warm replying.
The reason I want to do maths with physics is really because I think a solid foundation in mathematics is essential for further theoretical physics like quantum field theory and string theory. A lot of the techniques used in physics.. which I 've learnt, seem to be unjustified to me because my lack of understanding of mathematical analysis.. So I think perhaps I should apply to the maths department instead of natural science. I'm actually quiet interested in other experimental sciences like Biology and Chemistry. But when it comes to choose between maths foundation and these two, I think I have to sacrifice Bio and Chem...
Step is hard indeed.. I'm not sure if I will do I or II. I've finished further mathematics and perhaps will take the exam this year, but I'm not sure. But anyway, thanks for your guidance and merry christmas to you.
Reply 5
Original post by Rexsun
Step is hard indeed.. I'm not sure if I will do I or II. I've finished further mathematics and perhaps will take the exam this year, but I'm not sure. But anyway, thanks for your guidance and merry christmas to you.

If you have FM you need to do Step II and III. If you don't have FM then you take Step I and II.

Most people doing Maths at Camb (with or without Physics) will have FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply