The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

haha I don't even live with anybody other than my husband and daughter, and my house is messier than that!

Unfortunately both hubby and I procrastinate terribly, and it doesn't help in the tidy house situation to have a 1 year old!

*nat wonders whether freshers or toddlers make the most mess* :wink:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
at the moment... we have 2 fridges and 2 freezers between 5.. but thats only because 2 of our housemates moved out owing to the mess...

funny that .. now they've gone, the mess has all disappeared :-o!
not that there was much to start.. our only problem is that our washing up piles become enormous as noone can be arsed to wash up straight away, but we have 2 sinks so i solved that by making one sink for clean stuff and one for dirty :smile:

U need to just tell it to them straight.. no pussying notes or watever (thats what our former housemate did .. "clean up or the warden will be made aware"!... yeah good way to make friends, threatening your housemates!)

Good Luck!!! x
Reply 22
Well this is very odd indeed. Another thing about my kitchen: It seems to be the gathering area for all of Leodis. Most of the time when I go in to get a drink or some food, at least half of my flatmates are in there, along with two other people I've never seen before. Therefore, I suppose there's quite a few people in and around who can recognise my kitchen.

That said, the day after I posted this topic, my flatmates tidied up considerably to the point where I could actually cook a meal, and also stopped making cracks at me. There's been an odd change of atmosphere. If there's someone on here who's recognised the kitchen and told my flatmates, I'd appreciate if you'd tell me too. You did kinda do the right thing though, don't worry. :3
Reply 23
Leodis? Im in carr mills just down the road.. we have two spare rooms lol if it ever gets too much lol xx
Reply 24
most students are messy what can i say, dont tell me you expected to live like an adult in a house in perfect condition and tidyness?

stay in your room :wink:
Reply 25
Do not bother talking to them. Talk to the accommodation warden. Make sure they are reported.
rugdollap
Do not bother talking to them. Talk to the accommodation warden. Make sure they are reported.

What use will that do except cause a massive gap between you and your housemates? Your flat might be a bit more tidy for a couple of weeks but people would respect you so much more if you talk to them, even if it doesn't do much- at the end of the day, if they're that messy, a doubt a word from the warden will do that much long term good.
I just think that 'do not bother talking to them' is such bad advice.
Reply 27
They are messy and haven't thought about you beforehand. I don't think they will listen to you so it's better to let someone with authority TELL them to clean it up. If they are not willing to respect you then why should you put up with their mess? If they see their wrong later on they will forgive you for reporting on them. It's about drawing a line and saying I will not tolerate this any further.
maybe they don't realise how messy they are and how inconsiderate it is. telling the warden will just create a gap. be mature about it and talk to them
Reply 29
We're talking about adults/young adults, not little children who doesn't know how messy they are.
Reply 30
PinkPigeon
What use will that do except cause a massive gap between you and your housemates? Your flat might be a bit more tidy for a couple of weeks but people would respect you so much more if you talk to them, even if it doesn't do much- at the end of the day, if they're that messy, a doubt a word from the warden will do that much long term good.
I just think that 'do not bother talking to them' is such bad advice.

Exactly.... do not report it....and for god sake, do not ring the emergency no. if you live in James Baillie to complain about the noise at midnight on a Saturday night ....
our music was a little loud, but not excessively, and someone in our block called the emergency no. to get a sub warden to ask us to turn it down...Didn't even have the guts to ask us ourselves. Obviously stupid as well, as after the subwarden had left, loads of people came home and whacked on their music...

if you live in Student Accomodation, you have to put up with mess and noise...its all part of uni life!
Reply 31
If all else fails, leave amusing notes around the flat :biggrin:

(Yes I'm aware I'm not even in Leeds but i'm bored and no-one is replying on the Sheffield threads at the moment :frown:)
Reply 32
Darielle
If all else fails, leave amusing notes around the flat :biggrin:

(Yes I'm aware I'm not even in Leeds but i'm bored and no-one is replying on the Sheffield threads at the moment :frown:)

i was going to say, we have been to flats with post-it notes around the kitchen....but i might offer yours as a suggestion! lol :biggrin:
rugdollap
We're talking about adults/young adults, not little children who doesn't know how messy they are.

Exactly my point, thats why you don't get someone to TELL them what to do, because all they will do is think 'I'm not a child, I didn't come here to be spoken to like that' and if anything get worse.
Reply 34
PinkPigeon
Exactly my point, thats why you don't get someone to TELL them what to do, because all they will do is think 'I'm not a child, I didn't come here to be spoken to like that' and if anything get worse.

exactly how our flat felt! (well the two of us who were in....didnt help trying not to laugh through being drunk/stoned!)
Reply 35
Well it's going to be particularly hard of me to try to get my flatmates to listen. Especially since how I'm the youngest and quietest of the lot, and technically I'm not even an adult yet. So they don't really seem to respect my feelings at all.
Reply 36
Podge
if you live in Student Accomodation, you have to put up with mess and noise...its all part of uni life!

some mess and noise perhaps. But only once you have gone as far as you can with reasonable and wise confrontation of the offenders. Uni is not about learning how to become a doormat, and for some, the reason they go £20K into debt is because they want/need to get a good degree.

But A Dad would say that! :-)
Reply 37
I don't see what's the fuss is all about. What's wrong with a lot of mess and intolerable noise?

Isn't uni about learning to become a doormat?

Latest