The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics A [6th Jan 2015]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
What did you guys get for the last question by any chance?

I didn't actually do it......can't remember the exact numbers, but you use the cosine rule.
Original post by MouseyBrown
I didn't actually do it......can't remember the exact numbers, but you use the cosine rule.

Yup... but answer came to a long decimal and i got something like 2.60 which is completely wrong...
Original post by annag98
6.25 but everyone else seemed to get 3.5 ugh

What did you guys get for the last question by any chance?

Used the cosine rule - it cancelled out - then realised the trick after the exam.... too late now...
but I guessed it (trial and error) and got 2.5? It seemed to work....

Argh, this exam....
Yup... but answer came to a long decimal and i got something like 2.60 which is completely wrong...

Well at least you will get something for working out, unlike me who messed around aimlessly with the stupid sin rule.
Original post by turn-to-page394
Used the cosine rule - it cancelled out - then realised the trick after the exam.... too late now...
but I guessed it (trial and error) and got 2.5? It seemed to work....

Argh, this exam....

Yeah, i worked it out after the exam -___-
Hopefully, 4h ill be a lot easier :P
Well at least you will get something for working out, unlike me who messed around aimlessly with the stupid sin rule.

Dw, I tried to use that as well hehe but i wrote random stuff and I managed to factorise wrong in the exam :/ but its done now... I think the grade boundaries will be fairly low- i reckon mid to high 70 or maybe low 80 for A*
Dw, I tried to use that as well hehe but i wrote random stuff and I managed to factorise wrong in the exam :/ but its done now... I think the grade boundaries will be fairly low- i reckon mid to high 70 or maybe low 80 for A*

Yeah overall I feel alright. Got good grades on my mocks and overall this didn't feel much worse, just more difficult. Good luck on 4h. Let us know what you reckon!
Yeah overall I feel alright. Got good grades on my mocks and overall this didn't feel much worse, just more difficult. Good luck on 4h. Let us know what you reckon!

You too... and to anyone else taking it- good luck hehe :smile:
Yeah, i worked it out after the exam -___-
Hopefully, 4h ill be a lot easier :P

._____. Life. Argh. Pain. Hate it when that happens and you just want to facepalm for not realising the answer earlier...

Yeah, hopefully. :smile: Although there quite a lot of topics that weren't covered in this paper... :/
Good luck. :smile:
For question:
1 - i got 7200 yens
2 - put in calculator
3 - factorising etc.
4 - area of shape=something like 216
5 - total angles=900 degrees
- angle x =25.7 degrees

the bottle question - 20.2cm

proportion question - 1.25
thats all i can remember
Reply 30
Original post by wizardwonder123
for question:
1 - i got 7200 yens
2 - put in calculator
3 - factorising etc.
- angle x =25.7 degrees

thats all i can remember

same there is hope for us all
Reply 31
For question:
1 - i got 7200 yens
2 - put in calculator
3 - factorising etc.
- angle x =25.7 degrees

thats all i can remember

maybe you will remember some if i spark a question. for the differentiation did you get the co-ordinates 2,3 and the x value range as 0.5 ?
Original post by annag98
same there is hope for us all

Same. That bottle question is the perfect example of why this paper was hard. It's a doable question, but for a number 5 or whatever it was tricky.
Normally the first few are things like 'divide 2 by 2 on your calculator and write down all the numbers it displays'.
Reply 33
Same. That bottle question is the perfect example of why this paper was hard. It's a doable question, but for a number 5 or whatever it was tricky.
Normally the first few are things like 'divide 2 by 2 on your calculator and write down all the numbers it displays'.

they literally are omg hahaha i found the bottle one pretty easy bc we have done a lot similar in lessons but i dont know why, i just looked at every question and wanted to kms
For the range of x values in the differentiation question, i got 2/3<x<2...did anyone els get the same?
Please say yes haha...
Reply 35
Does anyone remember what they got got the cone question or the line equation question?
Yes! phew that took me ages.
But for the range i got (2/3)<x<2 i dont even know what that means :/ i was just taught it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS PAPER WAS HARD?

honest answers, no exaggerations please.

I had 2 students on it and I have not seen the paper.
For the range of x values in the differentiation question, i got 2/3<x<2...did anyone els get the same?
Please say yes haha...

Yep that's what I got too. I got worried cos 1 person said you had calculate rpthe range value ie 2-2/3= 1 1/3 but most ppl put the range down like that:smile:
For question:
1 - i got 7200 yens
2 - put in calculator
3 - factorising etc.
- angle x =25.7 degrees

thats all i can remember

I'm so annoyed with myself cos on the second last question with the cone I got everything right until the last step! I found that the radius was 8 and used pythag to get length as 17. But for some reason when I calculated the curved surface I got something like 176. And I have no idea wat I did to get it so wrong cos afterwards I tried to see if I inserted wrong numbers into the pi times radius times length. But nothing came close! It's so annoying cos it was 5 easy marks lost! The correct answer was 427.

idk maybe I did get it right and I just rembered a different answer to wat I put? I think ill prob get at least 3 method marks tho.

how did you find that question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending