The Student Room Group

Parents want me to fail in life.

Parents want me to fail in life so I can end up being a housewife.

During GCSE's, hardly allowed to study. Go home, cook for the family (youngest, but stupidly aged 13ish, I wanted to learn how to cook, so I did). Had no time when I'd go home from school, so I'd end up waking up 5AM to study. It was hard, especially because my secondary school wasn't great, so I had to self-teach everything.

Now done with GCSE's, I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
I have been trying to study a lot, but parent's have a problem with me being in my room for too long. I even asked my mum if i could buy Revision Guides etc, she said "Why do you need a book, what are teachers and school for?" :colonhash: But ended up buying them anyway lel.
I done work experience this summer and carried on for 3 months, when my mum was away on holiday. It was a great experience, and I enjoyed it. Was at an elderly care home, but after my mum came back, she said i couldn't go anymore, and I'm attached to the elderly people there :cry2:

Now, looking for work experience again, I have been accepted at a GP, not far away either. I told my mum, and she said no and that you don't need work experience "Clean the house, and cook for us; that is work experience for you." They are unbelievable, and do not understand anything. They think that they are still in the 1970s, back in their hometown.

I also want to go away for University, but this is a 100% no no :frown:
I don't know what to do :cry2:
Reply 1
I always thought Asians were big on education. All the Asians I know (male and female) are under massive parental pressure to excel. (Btw I'm assuming you're Asian)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GPODT
I always thought Asians were big on education. All the Asians I know (male and female) are under massive parental pressure to excel. (Btw I'm assuming you're Asian)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asian indeed, yeah my family is just weird and annoying like that :colonhash:
Do apply for uni, don't let your parents know about it
Reply 4
Omg! That's so mean! I really hope you go to a good uni because you seen like such an intelligent girl. I know this may sound bad but u need to be independent and rebellious cos your parents should not restrict you from education. I think you should definitely go for the work experience and go to university regardless of what your parents say. I'm assuming you want to study medicine because of the subjects you chose and I think you have such a bright future ahead of you.
Go for it and do what you like!!

Good luck on everything xo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
Do apply for uni, don't let your parents know about it

Original post by DeeXiomara
Omg! That's so mean! I really hope you go to a good uni because you seen like such an intelligent girl. I know this may sound bad but u need to be independent and rebellious cos your parents should not restrict you from education. I think you should definitely go for the work experience and go to university regardless of what your parents say. I'm assuming you want to study medicine because of the subjects you chose and I think you have such a bright future ahead of you.
Go for it and do what you like!!

Good luck on everything xo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to be sneaky, but I think it is mean, to just leave them like that.
Idky, they make my life a misery, but deep inside i'll feel guilty and horrible and I don't think I could do that.. But really really want to :redface:

Also, I still have no idea what I want to do at Uni, I just want to go somewhere far away from my family.

And Thank you :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reminds me of Josef Fritzl and that whole scenario :erm:
I'm sorry but this is gonna sound harsh - in sure ur parents love u death but it really dosent seem that way to me! If they really loved u they would let u live ur dreams. If I were u I would have rang ChildLine or NSPCC a long time ago! This is abuse! U need to talk to a professional about this! They can't do this to u!!!! Maybe speak to a trusted adult at school/college? They would give u advice! I would even suggest u moving out cuz ur A Levels are very important! If they want a full time cook/ cleaner then they should hire a maid!!! U need to live ur life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dinaa bbz been too long!

I hate to say it but there are 2 truths to parents

1. Only your parents will ever love you unconditionally, no other adult will love you without strings attached...

2. Until you resist their attempts to control you, your parents will not respect you and neither will any adult
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Just become a housewife and get a husband. This is the best thing to do and parents always know whats best for their children :yes:

Also why does housewife = failure? Ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say you need to try and be more assertive with them to be honest, you sound like you're just letting them steam roll over you and dominate your every choice. Not to offend your mother but she sounds a tad stupid by preventing you from furthering yourself. Don't become some housewife because they forced you on that path
Original post by Dinaa
Parents want me to fail in life so I can end up being a housewife.

During GCSE's, hardly allowed to study. Go home, cook for the family (youngest, but stupidly aged 13ish, I wanted to learn how to cook, so I did). Had no time when I'd go home from school, so I'd end up waking up 5AM to study. It was hard, especially because my secondary school wasn't great, so I had to self-teach everything.

Now done with GCSE's, I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
I have been trying to study a lot, but parent's have a problem with me being in my room for too long. I even asked my mum if i could buy Revision Guides etc, she said "Why do you need a book, what are teachers and school for?" :colonhash: But ended up buying them anyway lel.
I done work experience this summer and carried on for 3 months, when my mum was away on holiday. It was a great experience, and I enjoyed it. Was at an elderly care home, but after my mum came back, she said i couldn't go anymore, and I'm attached to the elderly people there :cry2:

Now, looking for work experience again, I have been accepted at a GP, not far away either. I told my mum, and she said no and that you don't need work experience "Clean the house, and cook for us; that is work experience for you." They are unbelievable, and do not understand anything. They think that they are still in the 1970s, back in their hometown.

I also want to go away for University, but this is a 100% no no :frown:
I don't know what to do :cry2:

Ugh, I hate Asian parents (speaking from experience).

From what I take it, you want to study medicine, or something allied to that field. It is crucial for you to get as much work experience as possible, along with getting an amazing set of grades. That is your primary purpose right now.

You cannot be submissive. You have to fight for what you want with every ounce of strength you have, because no one, not even parents, have the right to take away your goals. If you really want to get somewhere, you have to be strong and not easily swayed by your parents.

Talk to your parents first. Tell them what you want for yourself. Be firm, but diplomatic. Try (pretend) to show that you understand where they're coming from but tell them that you have a plan for yourself, and that is the one you wish to stick to. If they love you, they would want you to do what you want. Don't be naive or weak. Asian parents tend to manipulate and scare their children in order to put them in line and that is nothing short of abuse. If you live in the UK, and your parents are making you miserable and not listening to you at all, then I would suggest speaking to child services. I don't have that in my country, but if I did, I would have used it on my father a long time ago.

Basically, my father was so opposed to me taking a gap year in order to reapply for medicine (it's tough to get in, especially as an international!), that he insisted I take a 3 year course (my fallback option). I refused. I put up a fight. Smashed my exams. Put my foot down to every suggestion of his, and often spoke back to him whenever he would reprimand me for taking a year off. He would become scary (especially since he was an alcoholic too), but I thought long and hard about this.It's my future. He could die and I'd be doing some course I'm not even passionate about. No thanks. when it comes to my future, I'll do as I please. It's my right.

It's yours too.
Reply 12
Kudos to you for being so positive. This is a serious issue. The only viable exit path I see for you is to study your a** off and then leave to uni when you're eighteen. Until then you will have to balance the household chore/study act. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by marco14196
I would say you need to try and be more assertive with them to be honest, you sound like you're just letting them steam roll over you and dominate your every choice. Not to offend your mother but she sounds a tad stupid by preventing you from furthering yourself. Don't become some housewife because they forced you on that path

Tbh, I'm not going to lie, I do let them walk all over me, but that's because I'm the youngest of 3. That basically means I have no say.. In anything :colonhash:
And thank you :3

Original post by Zamilooni
Just become a housewife and get a husband. This is the best thing to do and parents always know whats best for their children :yes:

Also why does housewife = failure? Ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mean it like that, and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. But, no I do not want to be dependent on my husband, and I don't want to be anything like my mother rn. She is also a housewife, and ascertaining her life right now, she should want me to steer right away from that path.
And no I don't think they 'Always' know what is best.

Original post by Inglisred
Ugh, I hate Asian parents (speaking from experience).

From what I take it, you want to study medicine, or something allied to that field. It is crucial for you to get as much work experience as possible, along with getting an amazing set of grades. That is your primary purpose right now.

You cannot be submissive. You have to fight for what you want with every ounce of strength you have, because no one, not even parents, have the right to take away your goals. If you really want to get somewhere, you have to be strong and not easily swayed by your parents.

Talk to your parents first. Tell them what you want for yourself. Be firm, but diplomatic. Try (pretend) to show that you understand where they're coming from but tell them that you have a plan for yourself, and that is the one you wish to stick to. If they love you, they would want you to do what you want. Don't be naive or weak. Asian parents tend to manipulate and scare their children in order to put them in line and that is nothing short of abuse. If you live in the UK, and your parents are making you miserable and not listening to you at all, then I would suggest speaking to child services. I don't have that in my country, but if I did, I would have used it on my father a long time ago.

Basically, my father was so opposed to me taking a gap year in order to reapply for medicine (it's tough to get in, especially as an international!), that he insisted I take a 3 year course (my fallback option). I refused. I put up a fight. Smashed my exams. Put my foot down to every suggestion of his, and often spoke back to him whenever he would reprimand me for taking a year off. He would become scary (especially since he was an alcoholic too), but I thought long and hard about this.It's my future. He could die and I'd be doing some course I'm not even passionate about. No thanks. when it comes to my future, I'll do as I please. It's my right.

It's yours too.

Thank you for sharing! Yeah, I agree I need to stand on my feet and tell them 'No'. But, It's 5 VS 1. My whole family, weirdly have that mindset. I don't understand why though, my siblings were all born in the UK, but all have the same view on this issue. I don't really say 'no' or fight back.. Ever :lolwut: I also suffer from Anxiety and get really bad panic attacks, which lead to me hyperventilating severely, so it's really hard for me to just BOOM, say no..

But yeah, I guess at the moment I need to just work 100x harder than others and get them grades. It's so hard to self-teach and have other things on your plate though, so I am worried about getting the grades too :frown:
I'm just a little scared about everything lel :cry2:

I think about the work experience, I shall go and tell my school teacher, and make him/her write a letter to my mother, telling her that it is compulsory to do get as much work xp as possible. But it's a bit late for that too -.-
I'll think of something :/

Yet again, thank you so much!
No parent wants their child to fail. Think about it, they got you this far.. Plus it's a reflection of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Sounds pretty typical to me, of what I have heard/been told by friends etc.

Had you been born a boy, maybe you would have been seen differently.
I am that same problem (I'm not Asian)
It's not so much the fact they want me to stay at home and cook etc... but I am expected to as I am the youngest and everyone else works, nobody really wanted me to go to University but I applied anyway. I am going to Leeds in October hopefully - don't let them stop you!
They won't it and it'll cause a row but oh well, you'll be gone by then
Hi, I know this is from 6 years ago... just wanted an update in how you are doing now? (If you ever still get emails from TSR lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending