The Student Room Group

I wish I could drop a GCSE.

I'm currently taking 12 and it's quite a lot tbh.
For medicine at uni, most applicants have 10 or 11 GCSE's at A* or A, and really it would give me no more advantage to have an extra 1 or two compared to them. My school makes it compulsary to take GCSE PE and an IT course equivilant to 1 GCSE, and I find it pathetic, especially as I already give up two or three hours extra a week to do GCSE music.

First of all- these sublects aren't my strongest, I recon I'll get a B at most in PE (which will make my application look bad), and a B, or perhaps an A if my teacher steps up a bit, in ICT.
Secondly, its going to take up so much extra revision time that I could be using to study for more important exams...
speak to your teachers and see how they feel?
Reply 2
Original post by German123
speak to your teachers and see how they feel?

I doubt anything would be done, as I'd have 9 free lessons every 2 weeks compared to everyone else.
Two people have dropped PE, a pregnant girl and one who just refused to do it (and hasn't done it since year 7!) but any other person that has asked has been declined :/
Original post by Maya2000
I doubt anything would be done, as I'd have 9 free lessons every 2 weeks compared to everyone else.
Two people have dropped PE, a pregnant girl and one who just refused to do it (and hasn't done it since year 7!) but any other person that has asked has been declined :/

You should get your parents to talk with your teachers.
If you want to go into medicine, you absolutely do not need 10 or more A*s at GCSE level. What you do need is to make sure you get A/A*s in your cores (Eng, Maths, Sci), as these will be the subjects unis will look at. If you get a B in subjects like PE, IT, or Music, unis won't particularly care as long as you are strong in everything else.

As someone who took GCSEs last summer, I recommend you get your parents to let you drop PE, and maybe IT. It's really not worth your other subjects suffering just so you can achieve a B in PE. Just remember that the harder you work for your subjects, the better you'll do, no matter how many you're taking! I worked my ass off, and got 10 A*s, an A and 2 Bs, but A levels are where med schools really look.
Reply 5
What do you reccomend saying to my Head of Year to convince her to let me drop them? & What can I tell her I would do instead- 9 free lessons every fortnight

Quick Reply

Latest