The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to become a paramedic? And will it cost me?

I am currently in my second year at uni, studying environmental hazards and Disaster Management. My 3rd year will be my 4th year of student finance as I failed my 1st year of uni and had to retake. I've started thinking about careers, and I've always wanted to be a paramedic.

Do I have to do another degree? Will it cost me to do the degree or course for this? Or can I just go right in to doing some work or some thing after I graduate in 2016?

Thanks!
You will need to do a degree in Paramedic Science. It does not have to be the full 3 year BSc, you can become qualified by doing a 2 year foundation degree, this allows you to become registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. You will need to have A-levels in science or a sufficient amount of science content in your degree, but you would to check this with the individual unis that offer paramedic science as to whether what you have is sufficient to meet their requirements.
You will need to fund this course yourself.
Here's a good place to start researching this career
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/paramedic/entry-and-training/
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending