The Student Room Group

Who is in charge or seen as boss in your house?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SophieSmall
We rarely argue and it works because we all respect eachother, there are no children in the house anymore. There is no need for anyone to be in charge. We're a household the only real decisions that need to be made is what we have for dinner or what to watch on television. It's hardly massively important arguable decisions like whether or not we should go to war or passing legislation.

If there is a disagreement, such as what to have for dinner we will either not care enough to argue because for Christ sake it only dinner, or we will all have something different.

If its only dinner then who gets to choose what to eat? and who gets to choose what to put on TV?who organises things and determines whe
Reply 21
We rarely argue and it works because we all respect eachother, there are no children in the house anymore. There is no need for anyone to be in charge. We're a household the only real decisions that need to be made is what we have for dinner or what to watch on television. It's hardly massively important arguable decisions like whether or not we should go to war or passing legislation.

If there is a disagreement, such as what to have for dinner we will either not care enough to argue because for Christ sake it only dinner, or we will all have something different.

If its only dinner then who gets to choose what to eat? and who gets to choose what to put on TV?who organises things and determines when you are going somewhere and by what method and where you are going?There probably is a boss in your house you just don't realise it-who says that we should just eat something else?If all three of you have different opinions and can't agree then who makes the decision?
Reply 22
Me! They call me 'queen' around here :sexface:

BTW, it's nice to see thoughtful options on the poll, but I happen to not live with any of those.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
If its only dinner then who gets to choose what to eat? and who gets to choose what to put on TV?who organises things and determines when you are going somewhere and by what method and where you are going?There probably is a boss in your house you just don't realise it-who says that we should just eat something else?If all three of you have different opinions and can't agree then who makes the decision?

We are all pretty laid back and what's for dinner is hardly a crucial decision, we pretty much always agree and if we don't like I already said (and you ignored) we will have different things each. As for TV myself and my sister like the same things so we often watch stuff on my laptop and my mum watched stuff on the family computer, I can never think of a time we have clashed in recent years (since childhood).

We all have pretty separate lives so unless my sister and I are visiting my nan there is no need to organise anything with all of us. And if we are doing something together the only thing we need to organise is when we are all free, there is no argument on where we are going as if we are all going out we are either going to the pub (because we feel like it) or to my brothers (because he has invited us), and again we all like this so no arguing, and if someone doesn't want to go then just the other 2 will go.

Why do you find this so hard to understand? And like I have said ALREADY, if we want to eat or do something different we will eat different things or do activities separately. There is no for us to all do and eat the same thing, we lead separate lives we just live in the same house.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Me, its just me and my husband living together. When we do have children I probably will still be in charge. :smile:
Reply 25
We are all pretty laid back and what's for dinner is hardly a crucial decision, we pretty much always agree and if we don't like I already said (and you ignored) we will have different things each. As for TV myself and my sister like the same things so we often watch stuff on my laptop and my mum watched stuff on the family computer, I can never think of a time we have clashed in recent years (since childhood).

We all have pretty separate lives so unless my sister and I are visiting my nan there is no need to organise anything with all of us. And if we are doing something together the only thing we need to organise is when we are all free, there is no argument on where we are going as if we are all going out we are either going to the pub (because we feel like it) or to my brothers (because he has invited us), and again we all like this so no arguing, and if someone doesn't want to go then just the other 2 will go.

Why do you find this so hard to understand? And like I have said ALREADY, if we want to eat or do something different we will eat different things or do activities separately. There is no for us to all do and eat the same thing, we lead separate lives we just live in the same house.

My family eat different things to but if there was a decision what to eat as a family I would decide it.It seems as if your family come and go a lot which might make sense, if you are never all together then there is noone to make a decision with is there?

You seem to have a very unusual family so what would happen if you wanted to watch one programme on tv and your mam wanted to watch another programme?Whoever wins is probably in charge in general and you just don't realise it and someone must win surely.
My family eat different things to but if there was a decision what to eat as a family I would decide it.It seems as if your family come and go a lot which might make sense, if you are never all together then there is noone to make a decision with is there?

You seem to have a very unusual family so what would happen if you wanted to watch one programme on tv and your mam wanted to watch another programme?Whoever wins is probably in charge in general and you just don't realise it and someone must win surely.

Why would we NEED to make a decision on dinner as a family? There is no need for it at all. That's just being awkward.

It's like you;re not listening at all, are you a brick wall? If my mum wants to watch something different she will watch it on the family computer (which she always does anyway) me and my sister will watch stuff on my laptop, and if we all want to watch a film (and NO we do not argue over films) we will watch it on the TV, though we basically never turn the TV on.

No no one is in charge, just because your family needs someone in charge and indeed probably most families does not mean everyone must be, There is no need for power play in this household.

Do you need that explaining to you again? Or are you not going to ask the exact same dinner and TV questions again and just not listen?
Why would we NEED to make a decision on dinner as a family? There is no need for it at all. That's just being awkward.

It's like you;re not listening at all, are you a brick wall? If my mum wants to watch something different she will watch it on the family computer (which she always does anyway) me and my sister will watch stuff on my laptop, and if we all want to watch a film (and NO we do not argue over films) we will watch it on the TV, though we basically never turn the TV on.

No no one is in charge, just because your family needs someone in charge and indeed probably most families does not mean everyone must be, There is no need for power play in this household.

Do you need that explaining to you again? Or are you not going to ask the exact same dinner and TV questions again and just not listen?

Lol you have no one in charge? I think that explains your behaviour on this forum tbh...

You need someone in charge in the house. You need stability and control
Reply 28

Do you never go out together as a family for a meal or anything?Who makes the decision wear to go?Who manages the organisation of how to get there?
Original post by bittr n swt
Lol you have no one in charge? I think that explains your behaviour on this forum tbh...

You need someone in charge in the house. You need stability and control

There is no one in charge in my family home, just as there is no one in charge in my student house. We are not children. We do have stability and we control our own lives. We are a very happy family, we get on well and we don't argue.
Do you never go out together as a family for a meal or anything?Who makes the decision wear to go?Who manages the organisation of how to get there?

We pretty much never go out as a family as money is tight, but if we do go out we will usually go for a pub meal to the closest pub so my mum can get there on her disability scooter. If we fancy a change we will talk amongst ourselves and see what everyone's preferred option is, if no one's is the same we will ALL compromise and pick one we would all not mind going to. If we are ordering take away, we decide amongst ourselves what everyone would prefer, if it matches we will get the same thing if not we will order separately. Nobody needs to organise travel, it is either close enough for us to walk any mum use her disability scooter or we get a taxi and all chip in for the fare.

What is so hard to understudy about that?
There is no one in charge in my family home, just as there is no one in charge in my student house. We are not children. We do have stability and we control our own lives. We are a very happy family, we get on well and we don't argue.

Look at the poll, father wins so I'm guessing you may not know this but I think your father may be in charge.
Look at the poll, father wins so I'm guessing you may not know this but I think your father may be in charge.

He's not in the family house.
Original post by Paralove
Don't worry, no matter what thread this guy makes or is on, he may as well be blind - he makes absolutely no attempt to understand, and is extremely stubborn to anything unless deemed correct by him, even when it is not.

I don't understand why other people being different to him offends or scares him so much. Why is it so awful to him that my family is not like his? Ridiculous.
I don't understand why other people being different to him offends or scares him so much. Why is it so awful to him that my family is not like his? Ridiculous.

No two families are the same, I honestly don't see what their problem is.
Don't worry, no matter what thread this guy makes or is on, he may as well be blind to what you reply - he makes absolutely no attempt to understand, and is extremely stubborn to anything unless deemed correct by him, even when it is not.

If you have something to say say it to my face and not indirectly bait me. It's just immature.

I wasn't stubborn when questioning why sophie doesn't have power in her family. I've accepted her reasoning because her dad isn't in the house.
No two families are the same, I honestly don't see what their problem is.

I don't mind being questioned or asked to explain, the thing that is annoying me is them telling me I am wrong and THEY know more about my family than I do. Pure fallacy.
Reply 37
We pretty much never go out as a family as money is tight, but if we do go out we will usually go for a pub meal to the closest pub so my mum can get there on her disability scooter. If we fancy a change we will talk amongst ourselves and see what everyone's preferred option is, if no one's is the same we will ALL compromise and pick one we would all not mind going to. If we are ordering take away, we decide amongst ourselves what everyone would prefer, if it matches we will get the same thing if not we will order separately. Nobody needs to organise travel, it is either close enough for us to walk any mum use her disability scooter or we get a taxi and all chip in for the fare.

What is so hard to understudy about that?

Who decides to go to the pub, what if some of you want to go elsewhere as a family?If you keep getting taxis no wonder money is tight.
Who decides to go to the pub, what if some of you want to go elsewhere as a family?If you keep getting taxis no wonder money is tight.

Someone will say "fancy going the pub" we will decide amongst ourselves whether we feel like going the pub. Like go where? We don't really have the money to be going to crazy golf or whatever else people do as a family and options are limited anyway as my mum is disabled.

And no money is not tight because of taxis, like seriously how is a £3 taxi maybe once every 2 months if even that (as I already said we rarely go out as a family but you ignored) going to cause money to be tight?
If you have something to say say it to my face and not indirectly bait me. It's just immature.

I wasn't stubborn when questioning why sophie doesn't have power in her family. I've accepted her reasoning because her dad isn't in the house.

You know mothers can be in charge you know? :rolleyes:
When my sister, my brothers and I were children my mother was in charge. But now we are adults the power play is no longer necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending