The Student Room Group

Who is in charge or seen as boss in your house?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SophieSmall
Someone will say "fancy going the pub" we will decide amongst ourselves whether we feel like going the pub. Like go where? We don't really have the money to be going to crazy golf or whatever else people do as a family and options are limited anyway as my mum is disabled.

And no money is not tight because of taxis, like seriously how is a £3 taxi maybe once every 2 months if even that (as I already said we rarely go out as a family but you ignored) going to cause money to be tight?

£3 the taxi fares are cheap where you live where I live that's pretty much the starting price.You can get a disabled person onto a bus so you can go most places.
Original post by Dalek1099
£3 the taxi fares are cheap where you live where I live that's pretty much the starting price.You can get a disabled person onto a bus so you can go most places.

Do not tell me what we can do as a family.
Pretty much no buses in my area can take on a mobility scooter, a wheelchair yes but not a mobility scooter which is considerably large and needs a ramp in order to board buses.

And also most family activities a bus would take you to cost a significant amount of money (on our budget anyway). Such as the cinema + transport for 3 people you're looking at around £40 that is like half our weekly budget.

Yes there are a few places which are free such as museum or art gallery but transportation problems are a factor.
Reply 42
My dad is head of finances, my mum is head of social affairs.
Buses are a ****ing rip off!

£2.50 for a 10min journey!

I seem to be the only one that pays, every old sod seems to have a pass. :huff:
You know mothers can be in charge you know? :rolleyes:
When my sister, my brothers and I were children my mother was in charge. But now we are adults the power play is no longer necessary.

Really?
Reply 45
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
probably because he's stricter.

In what way is he more strict?
Reply 46
Do not tell me what we can do as a family.
Pretty much no buses in my area can take on a mobility scooter, a wheelchair yes but not a mobility scooter which is considerably large and needs a ramp in order to board buses.

And also most family activities a bus would take you to cost a significant amount of money (on our budget anyway). Such as the cinema + transport for 3 people you're looking at around £40 that is like half our weekly budget.

Yes there are a few places which are free such as museum or art gallery but transportation problems are a factor.

You could use a wheelchair as opposed to a mobility scooter.In my area you could go to the cinema for £22(on the cheapest day) including bus fares, if already had a regular bus pass(which you could do for a week to save money) then it would only be £10.50.

It seems as if your family doesn't have a definite leader due to the fact that you don't do much as a family inside or outside the house and you seem incredibly able to compromise on decisions which I find strange-your family is very unusual.
You could use a wheelchair as opposed to a mobility scooter.In my area you could go to the cinema for £22(on the cheapest day) including bus fares, if already had a regular bus pass(which you could do for a week to save money) then it would only be £10.50.

It seems as if your family doesn't have a definite leader due to the fact that you don't do much as a family inside or outside the house and you seem incredibly able to compromise on decisions which I find strange-your family is very unusual.

My mother does not have the mobility to be able to use a wheelchair as the arthritis in her arms and shoulders is too bad (it's funny hoe you presume to know what my family can and cannot do when you know nothing about us or my mothers condition). Also I am not in your area, so that bares no importance to me how expensive it is for you.

Please tell me why is a definite leader necessary? Is there something wrong with my family dynamic? Just because it is not the norm and you find it strange?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

They damn well are >.<
Original post by bittr n swt
Really?

Yes.
Yes.

If that helps you sleep better at night then sure
Original post by bittr n swt
If that helps you sleep better at night then sure

You feel free to presume you know more about me and my family, who you have never met. If that makes you feel so superior.
This guy...
Reply 53
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Buses are really designed to be used by the public on a regular basis using week passes will save you a lot and buses are much cheaper than cars if you go on them on a weekly basis.I agree that bus fares should be much cheaper, its all the problem of privatisation and exploitation by greedy businessmen/women.

To be quite honest the cinema is a rip off and I never choose to go there to spend money anymore. What happened to the days where tickets were like 2-3 pounds. Now they can be up to 8 for 1 person and that is stupid.

As for someone being in charge, maybe you are so adamant that Sophie needs to have someone in charge in her family because you have a rather large family or maybe a dysfunctional family who needs more rules and decisions. You have got to realise that not every family is the same and that not all families need people in charge especially if they lead separate lives.

Furthermore, being in charge of small situations such as organizing a meal and what not could vary and is not the same as being in charge of the majority of situations. For example, one week I could organise a restaurant or activity and if everyone in my family can make it (my dad, mum and younger brother) then we would probably go as long as there were no problems with money. Then guess what? My mum could organise an activity and as long as the rest of my family are free and we have no money issues then we would most likely do that as well. There would be no real arguments (because my family appreciates when we do something different or something that is organised by someone else) and if there was a problem e.g. my dad chose to go to an Indian restaurant in which I don't particularly like then the next time I would be able to choose.
They damn well are >.<

and trains.

**** the lot of 'em.
Reply 56
Original post by kingdoo
To be quite honest the cinema is a rip off and I never choose to go there to spend money anymore. What happened to the days where tickets were like 2-3 pounds. Now they can be up to 8 for 1 person and that is stupid.

As for someone being in charge, maybe you are so adamant that Sophie needs to have someone in charge in her family because you have a rather large family or maybe a dysfunctional family who needs more rules and decisions. You have got to realise that not every family is the same and that not all families need people in charge especially if they lead separate lives.

Furthermore, being in charge of small situations such as organizing a meal and what not could vary and is not the same as being in charge of the majority of situations. For example, one week I could organise a restaurant or activity and if everyone in my family can make it (my dad, mum and younger brother) then we would probably go as long as there were no problems with money. Then guess what? My mum could organise an activity and as long as the rest of my family are free and we have no money issues then we would most likely do that as well. There would be no real arguments (because my family appreciates when we do something different or something that is organised by someone else) and if there was a problem e.g. my dad chose to go to an Indian restaurant in which I don't particularly like then the next time I would be able to choose.

In my area cinema is £3.50 on the cheapest day.

Whoever holds the power over whether or not what someone wants will happen is boss, my mam may suggest something and I may agree and we will do that but if I don't then we won't do that.What if two people propose different ideas at the same time?
Original post by kingdoo

It's up to £12 in my area, cheapest is around £6 though that is during hours my sister works so cheapest for us is £10. It is a right rip off.

Whoever holds the power over whether or not what someone wants will happen is boss, my mam may suggest something and I may agree and we will do that but if I don't then we won't do that.What if two people propose different ideas at the same time?

Like I said we would compromise. I dislike curry and Indian food so would never on my own choose to go. If my dad suggested it then I would probably say yes. Oh then he must be in charge you may say? But no because I would be able to choose next time, or my mother or brother depending on who's turn it is. We do it as a rotary system normally unless it is a special occasion such as a birthday in which that family member would choose.

Anyway there is also the choice of going to restaurants which aren't specific Frankie and Benny's which do burgers, pizzas, pasta ect so if we cannot agree with what we want to eat it will most likely end up with a restaurant which complements all.

Anyway since you didn't bother to read the rest of my post to try and pose a reliable counter argument and since you seem to know every single family in the world so they must happen to have someone in charge you are mistaken.

Answer me this. Are families different with different cultures, backgrounds, ages ect ect? If you agree then you have no counter argument because people as well as families are all different and therefore have different hierarchical systems

Holy ****. Two people have different ideas?! How on Earth can people possibly decide? I mean, it's not like humans are able to compromise or anything.

(Note I said humans can compromise so it may not apply to you and probably explains quite a few of your posts on this forum)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending