The Student Room Group

Who is in charge or seen as boss in your house?

Poll

Who is boss in your household?

If you think there is a large amount of conflict and arguments then click unstable(sorry I missed this option out by accident).I am interested to see whether the generally perceived view that its the man of the house is true.In my household I am boss but that's only because my big brother went on a gap year and possibly to do with the fact my sister is hardly in, my mam obeys me-this might again be to do with the man of the household thing.My mam use to be the boss but couldn't cope with it so my brother became boss.I think that children, who are cleverer than their parents, shouldn't be bossed around by their parents.I am interested in whether the family being single parent affects things, my dad would probably have been in control if he hadn't divorced my mam although I still generally decide things when he comes up.I selected Oldest Male Sibling(single parent) as I am the oldest male sibling in the house currently and my brother would be in charge if he was here.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You sound like a control freak
Whoever bought the bacon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmao you boss your mum? Wow

Obviously father is the boss. I'm probably second to the title even though I have 2 older sisters lol
Reply 4
Original post by miln08
You sound like a control freak

My brother was in charge before though and his aunty told him to take over the house because my mam found it too stressful.I am currently in charge or maybe a bit of a coalition with my sister, when she is there and we both tell my mam what to do and say that she has to do her mammy duties.I believe that if you are caring for someone then you should do what they say, you would get told off in a care home if you ordered them around.I am very pleased that my brother has left the household for his gap year so that I am in power now.
The cat. And I'm completely serious, anyone with a cat knows who truly rules the roost :dry:
Original post by Dalek1099
My brother was in charge before though and his aunty told him to take over the house because my mam found it too stressful.I am currently in charge or maybe a bit of a coalition with my sister, when she is there and we both tell my mam what to do and say that she has to do her mammy duties.I believe that if you are caring for someone then you should do what they say, you would get told off in a care home if you ordered them around.I am very pleased that my brother has left the household for his gap year so that I am in power now.

Power? Coalition? Lmaooo how does your ma feel about this?
Reply 7
Original post by bittr n swt
Power? Coalition? Lmaooo how does your ma feel about this?

She sometimes says that I should obey her but I just tell her that she should obey me and I always get her to do what I want.She really didn't want me to have an 18th Birthday party but I decided to have one and that she would make the meals and that it would be good work experience for her.
Conficus says

eat **** control freak
She sometimes says that I should obey her but I just tell her that she should obey me and I always get her to do what I want.She really didn't want me to have an 18th Birthday party but I decided to have one and that she would make the meals and that it would be good work experience for her.

Last bit actually made me LOL please PM for me bantz.
Reply 10
According to the internet my mam has raised three spoiled brats but that can't be true as we all behaved reasonably well in school and are doing well in education.Surely if parents are bossy then they are just as much a brat as children who are bossy, so someone basically has to be brat or the whole household would be unstable and there would be constant arguments.
When I was growing up my mother was a single parent, and my grandmother lived with us and another elderly lady. My mother was the boss of the house.

Now that I have kids of my own, I'd like to THINK it's both hubby and I equally but I'm relatively sure that the kids see my hubby as more of the boss, probably because he's stricter.
I live by myself so I guess I'm in charge...

At my parents house, I would say it was both of my parents in charge.
Husband in my home, my Grand-dad at their place.
Non of the above, in my family home my mother, myself and sister all have equal footing. We are all adults now, no need for anyone to be the boss in the home.
Probably my mother.

I'm my own boss though.
Reply 16
Technically my dad since he owns the house, but since my brother and I aren't terribly behaved, it doesn't really feel like there are house rules or people that need to enforce them.
(edited 9 years ago)
I live in an anarchist commune.
Reply 18
Original post by SophieSmall
Non of the above, in my family home my mother, myself and sister all have equal footing. We are all adults now, no need for anyone to be the boss in the home.

How can that work?Either you are in denial or the household is what I would describe as unstable and lots of arguments could happen and possibly violence because if everyone is in equal footing then who makes the decisions and if their is disagreement then who do people follow?
How can that work?Either you are in denial or the household is what I would describe as unstable and lots of arguments could happen and possibly violence because if everyone is in equal footing then who makes the decisions and if their is disagreement then who do people follow?

We rarely argue and it works because we all respect eachother, there are no children in the house anymore. There is no need for anyone to be in charge. We're a household the only real decisions that need to be made is what we have for dinner or what to watch on television. It's hardly massively important arguable decisions like whether or not we should go to war or passing legislation.

If there is a disagreement, such as what to have for dinner we will either not care enough to argue because for Christ sake it only dinner, or we will all have something different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending