The Student Room Group

Thoughts about the Green Party?

This kind of thread has probably already been posted, but I'm curious to know about how people perceive the Green Party? In regards to policies, chances in upcoming elections etc.

Scroll to see replies

I thought they were a joke party.

But the last few months, I have taken them seriously, even considered voting for them and hope they finish 4th in the General Election, after UKIP, Conservative and Labour.

They will get the most gains in the general election.

Go to one of their meetings if you can, very open minded people.
Original post by democracyforum
I thought they were a joke party.

But the last few months, I have taken them seriously, even considered voting for them and hope they finish 4th in the General Election, after UKIP, Conservative and Labour.

They will get the most gains in the general election.

Go to one of their meetings if you can, very open minded people.

Exactly the same as my initial thoughts, but after doing some research I am fairly impressed. They are definitely increasing in number, but do you think they'll launch a decent attempt to power in the next 10-15 years? Considering the current political situation with UKIP the party seeming inevitable to take the reigns.
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Exactly the same as my initial thoughts, but after doing some research I am fairly impressed. They are definitely increasing in number, but do you think they'll launch a decent attempt to power in the next 10-15 years? Considering the current political situation with UKIP the party seeming inevitable to take the reigns.

I think they will rise like UKIP did.

The best they will ever do though is become the third biggest party in Britain, if Labour or Conservative disappear, like the Liberal Democrats have.
Original post by democracyforum
I think they will rise like UKIP did.

The best they will ever do though is become the third biggest party in Britain, if Labour or Conservative disappear, like the Liberal Democrats have.

UKIP seem to have shot up at the right time, with a lot of people losing trust in Dave and most never really trusting old Ed in the first place.

Shame really, I think the Green's do have potential.
Reply 5
I did work experience with the Green Party once. Bit boring lol but bunch of really friendly people.
Reply 6
The Green Party have some excellent, radical policies. Its members are generally well-meaning, nice people who want to improve people's lives - that means everyone's lives, not just the rich.

On the other hand, they also have some bad policies. For instance, they oppose nuclear energy and GMOs, despite the weight of the evidence falling on the side of these techniques. Furthermore, while I support scaling down the military and taking some of the money currently in the defence budget and using it to actually do something useful, I think the Greens' policies on the military are a bit too extreme.

Not that this is realistic, but I hope they become the second biggest party after Labour, with the Lib Dems third, Tories fourth and UKIP not even fifth.

They already have one MP, I hope they can build on it. I will certainly consider voting for them in the future, but not this year. If Labour go back to being Thatcherites again, then it will have to be the Greens for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Economic illiterate dangerous statists.

I suppose if they got into power they speed up the collapse of the whole system, may it isn't so bad.
Reply 8
Original post by Falcatas
Economic illiterate dangerous statists.

I suppose if they got into power they speed up the collapse of the whole system, may it isn't so bad.

Agreed 100%.
As a Labour party supporter I can't stand them. They sit on their high horses and harp on about how all the main parties are the same (which is codswallop) and in reality make it more likely that the Tories will get in again by splitting the left wing vote.
Not perfect, but miles better than any of the other options. They are the only party that genuinely seems to care about the environment, social responsibility, science, education, etc. Obviously they're not going to perform any economic miracles but a lot of people haven't quite realised that there are better ways to measure progress than GDP.
I stopped listening to what the Green party had to say after the European Election campaign. Their number one policy was to do with curbing bankers' bonuses. It's a joke policy at best, designed to fuel working class (and self-hating middle class) negative emotion against the wealthy. However, it solves absolutely nothing and they're a completely vacuous and reactionary party.

Someone already said it better: they're economically ignorant. They want to create an egalitarian Marxist state, and if people really want to live in Perpetual victimland on the continent of Guilt, they can vote for Green.
Original post by HigherMinion
I stopped listening to what the Green party had to say after the European Election campaign. Their number one policy was to do with curbing bankers' bonuses. It's a joke policy at best, designed to fuel working class (and self-hating middle class) negative emotion against the wealthy. However, it solves absolutely nothing and they're a completely vacuous and reactionary party.

Someone already said it better: they're economically ignorant. They want to create an egalitarian Marxist state, and if people really want to live in Perpetual victimland on the continent of Guilt, they can vote for Green.

Why when bankers screwed our economy over should they recieve 9 million bonuses? Whereas the average man faces cuts?
Original post by Bornblue
Why when bankers screwed our economy over should they recieve 9 million bonuses? Whereas the average man faces cuts?

The problem is central banking, not their f*cking salary. The Greens like centralisation though, so they can't deal properly with the real problem of the banking system. They're compromised by ideology.
The problem is central banking, not their f*cking salary. The Greens like centralisation though, so they can't deal properly with the real problem of the banking system. They're compromised by ideology.

Answer my question please.
Is it right that after screwing the economy over and making a loss that the bankers should be given £9million pound bonuses?
Original post by Chlorophile
Not perfect, but miles better than any of the other options. They are the only party that genuinely seems to care about the environment, social responsibility, science, education, etc. Obviously they're not going to perform any economic miracles but a lot of people haven't quite realised that there are better ways to measure progress than GDP.

Where's the money coming from? You clearly have no grasp of economics because The Green's would see us go through another financial collapse. Their numbers simply do not add up in real terms.
Original post by Bornblue
Answer my question please.
Is it right that after screwing the economy over and making a loss that the bankers should be given £9million pound bonuses?

They should have been fired, actually. The Green's policy won't prevent this from happening in the future. But you are proving my point entirely about emotionally setting up their voters to rabid levels of wealth-hatred. It's quite sad you fell for it and displayed it right after I called the propaganda out.
Reply 17
Most of their policies seem pretty ludicrous, such as almost doubling the minimum wage (I think).

From what I remember they talk about all these spending pledges, including a massive expansion of the public sector, but when questioned on how to finance it they say they'll raising the top rate of tax by a few per cent and scrapping nuclear weapons (whereas obviously a lot of that money will then have to be spent on conventional weapons to make up), so its like the tax and spend Labour Party of the 1980s but without the honesty/realism to acknowledge the massive tax hikes needed to go with the spending.

Also Natalie Bennett is exceptionally annoying.
They should have been fired, actually. The Green's policy won't prevent this from happening in the future. But you are proving my point entirely about emotionally setting up their voters to rabid levels of wealth-hatred. It's quite sad you fell for it and displayed it right after I called the propaganda out.

I too can't stand the greens.
I just can't understand how you think that banker's bonuses is not an issue. It costs the country a fortune.

My thoughts precisely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending