The Student Room Group

Stereotypes of East European guys?

We all know that Polish birds are good lookers with a penchant for denim but the identity of the males is much harder to pin down.

I always thought personally they fall in to two camps; either drunken hooligan/factory lads or the boffin/chess playing type, rarely anything in between.
I have only really met either the ones that drive taxis or the ones that pick fruit. They are both heavy drinkers and scary as ****.
Original post by Bristol 5
We all know that Polish birds are good lookers with a penchant for denim

Eh?
Usually employed as cleaners, factory workers and hotel staff !!

Usually have small country syndrome !!
A Common stereotype is that they are "Hard" though I don't know how true this is.
Reply 5
taking all our jerbs!!
Works for way less than the average brit
Fixes all my stuff for 2 pounds/hour.
We all know that Polish birds are good lookers with a penchant for denim but the identity of the males is much harder to pin down.

I always thought personally they fall in to two camps; either drunken hooligan/factory lads or the boffin/chess playing type, rarely anything in between.

"Drunken hooligan factory lads" stereotype is due to the fact that most East European immigrants in the UK are working class. Obviously you're not going to get many middle class Poles coming to the UK, because why would they?

Those who migrate are often the equivalence of British "chavs".

The Eastern Europeans I know at Oxford are mostly from better socio-economic backgrounds so Oxford Polish students have little or nothing in common with the "drunken hooligan factory lads" aforementioned. It's like comparing British oxbridge students to British lads.
Reply 9

Trust me there is as many good looking Polish women / men as there are fugly ones. Poles are also extremely mixed - you get a lot of them who look like Scandinavians, Russians, Greeks, Germans or like middle eastern Jews or central Asian Tatars etc.

As for the stereotypes, why do you need stereotypes? It's not like it's some kind of reliable guidance. Very few Brits fit into "British stereotypes". Everyone is different as an individual. Obviously, you cannot compare a finance guy from Goldman Sachs in Warsaw with unskilled workers in the UK. The Polish doctor who got 4.5 mln GBP as a remedy for discrimination is obviously a very different person from a Polish mafia person and so on. Everyone is different.

The bottom line is that if you take a Dutch, Italian, Polish and say French lawyers they'll probably have much more in common despite different nationalities than with their own working class counterparts. Same, factory workers in Britain, Israel and Bulgaria probably have much more in common with each other than their political class.
Reply 10
Original post by Yael
Poles are also extremely mixed - you get a lot of them who look like Scandinavians, Russians, Greeks, Germans or like middle eastern Jews or central Asian Tatars etc.

I can never tell really.
Reply 11
Original post by Extreme&Violent
One of the stereotypes I often hear about Poland is religiosity, but the actual level of engagement in religious life is not adequately reflected in the statistics. The general pattern is that the poorer and the less educated are more religious. Still, I don't think Poland is any more religious than Germany. Lots of people are atheist/agnostic or belong to a religious denomination but never actually practice.

I think the voting map above is also pretty interesting. This shows the historical divide between the German and the Russian empires and the liberal v conservative worldviews. However, the south-east of Poland was part of the Habsburg empire so the East v West hypothesis doesn't really apply.

What do the colours represent? Your diagram should put some labels on them damn it! :mad:
Went to school with quite a few Polish lads. They were nice enough, usually kept to themselves though. Was pretty amusing watching them get to grips with Rugby, but they loved their football. I think that the girls were more apt at integrating themselves though. If they arrived between Year 7-9, they just became parts of the regular cliques around school, whereas the boys tended to stick together. We had quite a few Polish students in our English set, I'll never forget some of them getting better grades than a few of English pupils :lol:

As for stereotypes I suppose high cheekbones and a healthy appetite for Tyskie or Zubr are about it.
http://youtu.be/2iUGfURqyhs

I believe this video best showcases the stereotypes of eastern European men :wink:
Oi, I'm Eastern European (Romania-Transylvania) and I don't fit that stereotype...I'm not a heavy drinker or the chess playing type, I'm not working in a factory, but I would if in dire need for a job (I'd never live on benefits) and in the past i worked as a logger, working with a chainsaw (in Portugal, where I lived for a few years before moving to UK). I don't look Eastern European and most of people would mistake me for a typical Mediterranean guy.

Regarding the Eastern Europeans that I have met in the UK if found good numbers of highly educated individuals and working class people...however, I found very few of them that are heavy drinkers, or that drink more than the average club goer in the weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest