The Student Room Group

What's a good university for Creative Writing?

I want somewhere that's a beautiful place where I can be inspired to write, such as countryside etc...
Somewhere with lovely people, good shops, great accommodation.
I need a really good university where I can feel at home!
I know that UEA is renowned for its Creative Writing course and is close to many beautiful places.
Reply 2
Thanks I looked at that one online :smile:
Reply 3
Warwick is renowned for its creative writing course, but Coventry isn't particularly picturesque. Cornwall is said to be very inspiring for writers - but the Exeter campus there only offers english literature. The Gloucestershire creative writing course sounds fantastic and area is nice.
I've applied to Brunel, Canterbury Christ Church, Hertfordshire, Nottingham and St Mary's Twickenham London for Creative Writing- but Twickenham will be my first choice, even if I get offers from anywhere else. Beautiful location with a lovely atmosphere- plus, it's doing well for a University that's relatively newer than most. On the other hand, Hertfordshire offers an exchange program that allows you to spend a semester in North America, and Canterbury's accommodation is exceptional. Although, out of my choices, Brunel is more renowned for its Creative Writing course- 6th in the country! Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've applied for creative writing at Brunel and Roehampton. I think Roehampton has a nice location,old buildings which have that great smell about them and a lovely lake. I have also applied for creative writing at Winchester but I don't want to go there it was just to fill up my ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for Edge Hill for Creative Writing. :biggrin: The campus is lovely and the course itself really caters to what I want and the qualifications I'll(hopefully!) get at the end of my A Levels. It depends what you're looking for really - some places will do courses more weighted towards poetry, others to prose. I liked EHU because they cover 3 types: prose, poetry and scriptwriting - and then you choose a modual in year 2 and 3 to specialize! :smile: Your best bet is to just look around different university's websites/prospectus' and find a course you will enjoy and plays to your interests!
Hi itslaurajxx,

Here at the University of Hertfordshire we offer a very flexible Humanities programme that allows you to combine your Creative Writing course with other subjects such as American Studies, Media, English Literature and Religious Studies. To find out about the combinations available, visit our website here: http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/schools-of-study/humanities.

You can also see examples of our students' work on our Creative Writing page: http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/schools-of-study/humanities/subject-areas/minor-subjects/creative-writing

We are a campus based university located in Hatfield, about 25 mins from London and 15 minutes from St Albans. We offer campus tours every other Wednesday which you can book here: http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/open-days-visits-and-webinars/book-a-campus-tour

We also offer both study abroad options and work placements.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Heather
University of Hertfordshire
Oxford.
As someone else said, UEA is well known for its creative writing course. The university also has some beautiful surroundings - green spaces, lake, etc. Norwich is also a beautiful little historic city, full of inspiration. :smile:
Oxford :smile:
Reply 11
Aberwyswyth v v beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Uni of Nottingham has a beautiful campus and the city is a really creative space with lots of poetry readings and creative events going on. I'm studying creative writing on the masters course but you can pm me any questions about the uni or teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clh_hilary
Oxford.

They only do a creative writing degree at postgraduate level.
Original post by itslaurajxx
I want somewhere that's a beautiful place where I can be inspired to write, such as countryside etc...
Somewhere with lovely people, good shops, great accommodation.
I need a really good university where I can feel at home!

UEA is the one that is well known. There is also a course at Manchester that combines English with Creative Writing. Though it is a city there are lots of natural parks like the peak district nearby and societies which go to them.

Also it's worth considering when about to pay for a course like this that you really don't need a degree in Creative Writing to become good at it and have a career in it. I'm in my final year in a different subject but I've learnt to do it in my own time and made steps towards a career. So if you're deciding between that and a subject that'd open more doors in other areas it's worth bearing in mind.
Original post by TheWaffle
They only do a creative writing degree at postgraduate level.

Didn't say not looking for postgrad.
Here's a useful creative writing lesson for fully half of you: stop using the exclamation mark!!

I don't know why, but always on these threads.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Here's a useful creative writing lesson for fully half of you: stop using the exclamation mark!!

I don't know why, but always on these threads.

Calm down!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending