The Student Room Group

Friends with benefits

Does anyone have an FWB? What exactly is it, in your experience? I have one, but sometimes we just hang out as friends and go to the cinema and the pub and such, and we text regularly, and this year we exchanged Christmas presents. My friends tell me that this is weird, and normally FWB is just about the sex. I was wondering if they're right, because I feel somewhat confused.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well the term 'friends with benefits' suggests that you're at least friends, and you've described things that friends do, so I don't see why it'd be abnormal. If it was just sex they'd be a **** buddy.

That said, I've never known an FWB situation end in anything other than one person falling for the other, so my experiences aren't much help :p:
Reply 2
FWB is usually just sex because then it's easier to separate emotional attachment and sexual pleasure. Only FWB I've done wasn't really a proper FWB because we decided to do it about two days after meeting each other in college lol. Ended with both of us being interested in other people so we stopped. That's probably the best way it can end, most FWBs seem to end with one person falling for the other. I don't like the guy any more but that's not to do with us sleeping together, it's just that as I spent more time knowing him I really don't like him. :tongue:
I been in a couple of these, the only trouble is after time someone always develops feelings in the end.
Original post by Little Hobbit
Does anyone have an FWB? What exactly is it, in your experience? I have one, but sometimes we just hang out as friends and go to the cinema and the pub and such, and we text regularly, and this year we exchanged Christmas presents. My friends tell me that this is weird, and jormaly FWB is just about the sex. I was wondering if they're right, because I feel somewhat confused.

that is a bit weird, i get on with my FWB but we don't really hang out together outside of the bedroom. sure, we talk and stuff but actively organizing to do something is a no-no.
Original post by Pretendredhead
that is a bit weird, i get on with my FWB but we don't really hang out together outside of the bedroom. sure, we talk and stuff but actively organizing to do something is a no-no.

FWB's just bang, no strings stuff so all this Christmas present exchanging is quite odd
Original post by DarkWhite
Well the term 'friends with benefits' suggests that you're at least friends, and you've described things that friends do, so I don't see why it'd be abnormal. If it was just sex they'd be a **** buddy.

That said, I've never known an FWB situation end in anything other than one person falling for the other, so my experiences aren't much help :p:

Yeah this is the argument I have with my friends but nobody really accepts that. I just get "That's not FWB, you went for lunch, that's a date" or "Why don't you just be a couple?" That sort of thing.

Original post by Treeroy
FWB is usually just sex because then it's easier to separate emotional attachment and sexual pleasure. Only FWB I've done wasn't really a proper FWB because we decided to do it about two days after meeting each other in college lol. Ended with both of us being interested in other people so we stopped. That's probably the best way it can end, most FWBs seem to end with one person falling for the other. I don't like the guy any more but that's not to do with us sleeping together, it's just that as I spent more time knowing him I really don't like him. :tongue:

Original post by Pretendredhead

We've been FWB since June I guess, with periods where we spend a lot of time together, then other times not so much. We text a lot though. I have some sort of feelings for him which I can't really put into words, but we're friends first and that's the most important thing to me. I'm not going to analyse it too much. It seems to work for us.

Treeroy that sounds like a really clean break, if only we could all be so fortunate when things end :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Little Hobbit
Treeroy that sounds like a really clean break, if only we could all be so fortunate when things end :smile:

Yeah it was good. It probably helped that I didn't know him at all before we were FWB - it was the start of the school year and first time we talked, it ended up going towards sex and we became fwb. xD

If it had been one of my current friends then it wouldn't have worked. All the friends I've slept with, I've always grown attached to them afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest