The Student Room Group

first year learning disability nursing student -ask away!

HI everyone.
I am a first year learning disability nursing student and haven't seen much on here for learning disabilities.
I'm also writing a blog to try and help those applying for the course and inform others. Especially those who may not know much or may have the view its not 'proper' nursing (which I have come across).
If anyone has amy questions then feel free to ask! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've got an interview for LD Nursing in January for a September start. Very excited. There does seem to be a lack of info for LD nursing on the net for some reason...
Reply 2
Original post by BellaPembers
I've got an interview for LD Nursing in January for a September start. Very excited. There does seem to be a lack of info for LD nursing on the net for some reason...

Yes I discovered this when I was looking when I first applied.
Hence starting the blog.
The amazing thing about learning disability nursing is you cover aspects of all the other branches too. It's an amazing course and I love it.
I so hope I am able to get on the course. I've got to do maths and English assessments and a one on one interview rather than a group session. Im nervous but really looking forward to it. I've done all my research/revision and have thought about answers that they could ask me and came up with answers so I don't go blank.

Im struggling to think of questions to ask after my interview. I did alot of asking at the open day. I know its good to have questions prepared though.

How many placements are you doing in your first year?
Reply 4
I do 3 each year. Just finished my first one. Best of luck with your interview. Ask questions such as where you will be going on placements,if you are able to return and work there, are you taught breakaway techniques and if you do placements mainly with adults with learning disabilities or children as well.
You may think of more during the interview. But it's helpful to know the above!
My first placement was adults, my second is children. So I need to do a lot of revision for that when it comes to medications and working them out according to a child's weight etc. It's non stop learning but so fun too!
Thank you, ill definitely ask those questions.

Also I know in nursing interviews they like to ask about current nursing topics etc.

I've read relevant report inc death by indifference, reports on winterbourne, nmc code, can you recommend any other relevant reports or current events I can research?

Sorry to bombard you I just really want to be prepared :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you, ill definitely ask those questions.

Also I know in nursing interviews they like to ask about current nursing topics etc.

I've read relevant report inc death by indifference, reports on winterbourne, nmc code, can you recommend any other relevant reports or current events I can research?

Sorry to bombard you I just really want to be prepared :smile:

No problem.
They don't expect you to know everything so don't worry!
As long as you keep up to date with health news ie the Ebola crisis and nursing topics such as the strikes planned for the new year and such likes you will be fine. BBC health news is helpful as well as the nursing times learning disability page.
Keep looking at articles that appear in the news in regards to l.d and there are a few groups on Facebook that are very helpful.
Look for 'positive choices' learning disability nurses are fantastic and learning disability nurse . com on there too.
There are many people who are more than willing to help!
Look at the bild website and another one I love is ldok.net. an amazing website ran by people with learning disabilities.
Best of luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
where is it you study deviant182?
Reply 8
I study at a great uni !
Love my course and how much we have learnt so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by deviant182
I study at qub and it's a great university.
Love my course and how much we have learnt so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonderful! I am glad you are enjoying it! Did you do an access course before uni or A levels ect? I am almost half way through my access course and keep getting told ill find the 1st yr of my degree easier then the access course....how did u decide which uni to go to? Because i applied to the two closest uni's to me that do ld nursing and they have both offered me a place but i don't no which 1 to chose. I trying to consider which will leave me with the best job opportunities.
Access courses are tough and yes 1st year may seem like a breeze to some people. But in my honest opinion, it is these people that don't realise how much of a difference university education is.
I've heard people saying we weren't taught that or we weren't told that etc. You won't be. It's university. They give you the foundations and you're expected to go away and read and learn more. So if you take into account the amount of self directed learning you have to do and the amount of reading and revision you have to do its a whole different style of education compared to an access course.
As for choosing what university, go to the one you feel you will enjoy more. It is more or less a myth that the uni you attend dictates what job you will get. It won't. I've not had one interviewer ask me what uni I attended or what degree I got. It's after you graduate how you come across at interview and if you're suitable for the job. Remember you're coming away with a nursing qualification, the degree is just extra.
I chose because of the location and my future plans. I had moved here with my partner a year previous so I didn't really want to move again. However if I hadn't got into it and had elsewhere I would have moved. I wanted to do nursing regardless!
Best of luck with everything and choose what's best for you! uni is 3 years of your life, you need to enjoy it and make the most of it while you're there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I'm applying for Nursing Learning disabilities and I have an interivew in 4 weeks
. I was wondering if you had any tips for me please. Thank you :smile: :smile:
Original post by Ashleigh_jade17
Hi, I'm applying for Nursing Learning disabilities and I have an interivew in 4 weeks
. I was wondering if you had any tips for me please. Thank you :smile: :smile:

Hey!
Best of luck for your interview!
Have you experience with l.d?
Think about how you will answer questions as communication is very important in learning disabilities. Think about how you would deal with challenging situations / behaviour and also look at the news which is looking at implementing changes post Winterbourne view and closing residential hospitals.
See what is local to you for people with learning disabilities and how you could make a difference as a rnld.
Show your passion for the branch and don't be afraid to ask them questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! And yep I've done volunteering working with children with Learning disabilities since I was about 15 I think :smile: thank so much for the advice :smile:
Well I recommend reflecting on your experience and how that has led to where you are now and why you have chosen to do l.d nursing :smile:
Just be confident and don't be afraid to show your passion. I nearly cried in my interview because of the questions they asked and how much I wanted it. Got a little carried away haha. But I love my course so much! Wouldn't change it. Loads of luck to you 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww thank you so much!
I received an offer for my top choice today for LD nursing. Literally can not describe how happy I am. Good luck to everyone on their interviews!
I received an offer for my top choice today for LD nursing. Literally can not describe how happy I am. Good luck to everyone on their interviews!

Congratulations! Make the most of your free time now! :smile:
Hi! I've been offered a place for learning disability nursing but also a place for adult nursing? All of my experience is with adults with learning disabilities and I love it but really unsure what to do as adult nursing seems to be seen as a much wider field. Is it just as easy to get a job in ld nursing etc? I really don't know what to do, if you've got any advice id be really grateful x
Original post by Jordenamber
Hi! I've been offered a place for learning disability nursing but also a place for adult nursing? All of my experience is with adults with learning disabilities and I love it but really unsure what to do as adult nursing seems to be seen as a much wider field. Is it just as easy to get a job in ld nursing etc? I really don't know what to do, if you've got any advice id be really grateful x

Where does your passion lie first and foremost? You're going to be doing your training for 3 years and then wherever else you go after that.
I will say this.
You will meet people who say theres no jobs in ld. People who say it's pointless. People who say that they're going to phase it out etc. This has been said for years. Mainly due to the lack of education on these people's parts. I love learning disability and can't imagine doing anything else. I love how we don't focus so much on making people better but on their whole level of care. How we can deal with children and adults.
Look at where you want to be.
In ld you can work with adults and children. You can work with mental health as a lot of people with learning disabilities will have a dual diagnosis. There will always be jobs as there will always be people with learning disabilities. Follow your heart.
Good luck and congratulations on your offers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending