The Student Room Group

they're giving me too many hours over christmas...

hiiiii, so i work at sportsdirect and my store didn't ask how many hours i wanted to work over christmas so now have put me on to work 9/14 days of the christmas holidays, with half of these being split shifts of over eight hours. i'm also working christmas eve, boxing day and new years day and just to make it clear i'm on a ZERO HOUR contract. i'm sixteen, in sixth form and physically cannot work that much - i have so much school work it's unbelievable, and part time work is at the bottom of my list of priorities. i also asked for a day off a month and a bit ago, and my manager said he would look into it and let me know and he hasn't messaged me since and now i've been rota'd in to work that day.
i've texted my supervisor, and she said "well it's christmas" as an excuse but i'll have to text my manager, so i texted him twice and he hasn't replied. i'm going in today and i'm going to raise the issue, any tips? what loopholes will they try to use in order to force me to work, and how do i get out of them ?? i'm aiming to come away with 6/14 days, all of single 3/4 hour shifts maximum as opposed to 9 days with three quarters of them being eight hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
From 16-19(now) I did/do 60-80 hours a week over the holidays. You just get on with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell them to sod off. Your school work is more important than some **** job.

Original post by olitheoblong
From 16-19(now) I did/do 60-80 hours a week over the holidays. You just get on with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

You want a medal? She is under no obligation to work all those hours at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well yes she is as she wanted the job, applied and got the job. Common sense dictates she will be available to work as necessary as the terms of a zero hour contact dictate. If she wanted scheduled hours then perhaps a more detailed contract I.e specific hours each week would have been more appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Tell them to sod off. Your school work is more important than some **** job.

You want a medal? She is under no obligation to work all those hours at all.

haha, thank you. <3 do you have any ideas how to approach them with it ??? my manager is kind of known to have a liking for provoking people into arguments, and i really want to be able to get this sorted without having to stop myself from having an argument with him.

and also, the terms of a zero hour contract are that they do not have to legally give me any hours per work, and i do not legally have to accept any that are offered.
Original post by faggstagram
haha, thank you. <3 do you have any ideas how to approach them with it ??? my manager is kind of known to have a liking for provoking people into arguments, and i really want to be able to get this sorted without having to stop myself from having an argument with him.

Do you have exams/assignments due in after the Christmas break? If so your time is much better spent doing work for those. These things effect your long term future where as this current job is just a short term thing. I'm going to pretend I am a badass for a moment. Say which days you can/are willing to work and refuse to work the others. They will just have to lump it (be aware this may mean they don't give you work, depends how replaceable you are, plus it might make things awkward). You are under no obligation to work whenever they want you to. It would be good practice for sticking up for yourself.

http://www.acas.org.uk/zerohours

"Zero hours contracts normally mean there is no obligation for employers to offer work, or for workers to accept it."

They can't have their cake and eat it. The ability to not offer you work on regular basis and then expect you to work whenever they say. They employ you because ti is cheaper than a full time contract employee, well you are a student with other commitments other than work. If they want someone who will work whenever they want they should employ a full timer or part timer contract worker.

Plus you will only be in this position once. Do you really want to spend your entire holidays working? You will be working for most of your life. I never had a job at school which meant I could get school work done and enjoy myself at the same time. But then I am a bit of a hedonist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well yes she is as she wanted the job, applied and got the job. Common sense dictates she will be available to work as necessary as the terms of a zero hour contact dictate. If she wanted scheduled hours then perhaps a more detailed contract I.e specific hours each week would have been more appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't understand how zero hour contracts work.
You don't understand how zero hour contracts work.

'normally mean there is no obligation to work' if she doesn't then it'll be seen as she can't be bothered so why should they give her any more hours in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have exams/assignments due in after the Christmas break? If so your time is much better spent doing work for those. These things effect your long term future where as this current job is just a short term thing. I'm going to pretend I am a badass for a moment. Say which days you can/are willing to work and refuse to work the others. They will just have to lump it (be aware this may mean they don't give you work, depends how replaceable you are, plus it might make things awkward). You are under no obligation to work whenever they want you to. It would be good practice for sticking up for yourself.

http://www.acas.org.uk/zerohours

"Zero hours contracts normally mean there is no obligation for employers to offer work, or for workers to accept it."

They can't have their cake and eat it. The ability to not offer you work on regular basis and then expect you to work whenever they say. They employ you because ti is cheaper than a full time contract employee, well you are a student with other commitments other than work. If they want someone who will work whenever they want they should employ a full timer or part timer contract worker.

Plus you will only be in this position once. Do you really want to spend your entire holidays working? You will be working for most of your life. I never had a job at school which meant I could get school work done and enjoy myself at the same time. But then I am a bit of a hedonist.

yeah, that's the problem because i have mock exams after christmas and a load of revision to do in order to even pass those. i think i may do that - figure out which days of the ones rota'd i can work and tell them. i absolutely agree with everything you're saying, if i'm going to spend my entire christmas holidays doing work i'd rather it be school work to get me good A levels and help me get a secure future rather than earn my minimum wage i currently have little use for anyway.
'normally mean there is no obligation to work' if she doesn't then it'll be seen as she can't be bothered so why should they give her any more hours in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So they want a full timer they can just sack anytime they want that has non of the protections an actual full timer has. Ok then.

That's why things like unions and worker rights are important :rolleyes:

Well if it was me I would call their bluff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

honestly, you don't seem to understand - i don't care about this job. i'm planning on quitting after christmas anyway. if they don't give me more hours, good for them, i'm not planning on receiving any more anyway. plus my store is really not in the position to be offering people no hours haha, which is probably why i'm rota'd in for so many.
yeah, that's the problem because i have mock exams after christmas and a load of revision to do in order to even pass those. i think i may do that - figure out which days of the ones rota'd i can work and tell them. i absolutely agree with everything you're saying, if i'm going to spend my entire christmas holidays doing work i'd rather it be school work to get me good A levels and help me get a secure future rather than earn my minimum wage i currently have little use for anyway.

You tell 'em! You don't actually need the money so you got the leverage :biggrin:

Call their bluff. :cool:

ChaoticButterfly- inspiring worker dissidence since 1992 :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally having worked at Sports World myself in 6th form i'd say that you should milk the hours (one of the easiest jobs you'll ever do), your hardly going to fail if you have to rearrange 3 days worth of revision (since you want to do 6 rather than 9) but as it's upto you, just go in and be clear and direct with your manager.
Just talk to your manager face to face and explain!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
I also worked quite a few hours alongside 6th form and college. And many others do it. If you organise your time then yo will be fine.
Its a bit late to try and get out of doing the hours anyway and on certain days e.g. boxing day etc) i doubt they will get anyone to cover them anyway.
I have a similar problem working at my local leisure centre. Essentially, one of the perks is the free membership of the centre to use the gym, pool etc. However, you cannot have this benefit if the centre's shift is understaffed. Because we are always under staffed, I have to work every time I go to the gym, which sucks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's not a horse that can work 24/7 :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work at Sports Direct as well, and they get us to fill out an availability sheet of what days and times that we can do. At my store, we also have to let management know what days we cannot do (if it's a day we can do) in advance so they know not to rota us in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hiiiii, so i work at sportsdirect and my store didn't ask how many hours i wanted to work over christmas so now have put me on to work 9/14 days of the christmas holidays, with half of these being split shifts of over eight hours. i'm also working christmas eve, boxing day and new years day and just to make it clear i'm on a ZERO HOUR contract. i'm sixteen, in sixth form and physically cannot work that much - i have so much school work it's unbelievable, and part time work is at the bottom of my list of priorities. i also asked for a day off a month and a bit ago, and my manager said he would look into it and let me know and he hasn't messaged me since and now i've been rota'd in to work that day.
i've texted my supervisor, and she said "well it's christmas" as an excuse but i'll have to text my manager, so i texted him twice and he hasn't replied. i'm going in today and i'm going to raise the issue, any tips? what loopholes will they try to use in order to force me to work, and how do i get out of them ?? i'm aiming to come away with 6/14 days, all of single 3/4 hour shifts maximum as opposed to 9 days with three quarters of them being eight hours.

work hard and become a manager

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending