The Student Room Group

can I go for a walk today, TSR?

So then. I am not sure what chain of events has led to this mentality at 22 years old but it seems I am currently a manchild with a partly broken soul. One of the manifestations of this is 'needing permission' to exercise or on bad days, move. God forbid I want to move out, take driving lessons, have sex or something.

I have asked my dad today but he just got annoyed. I take this as a sign he would be disappointed if I did go out for a walk. But it's a lovely.day! Mum hasn't yet responded to the text. I dare not share the extent of this permission seeking to my friends, it's embarrassing.

I can assure TSR I was not like this even when I was 14. I was weird and socially awkward but relatively independent at least. I am hoping one day someone will psychoanalyse me and make some shocking revelation that I made an incorrect assumption that my growing up was the reason my parents divorced and became unhappy and so I decided that the only way to make amends was to engage furiously in associative regression and bequeath all my free will to my parents. But for now, can I go for a walk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
So then. I am not sure what chain of events has led to this mentality at 22 years old but it seems I am currently a manchild with a partly broken soul. One of the manifestations of this is 'needing permission' to exercise or on bad days, move. God forbid I want to move out, take driving lessons, have sex or something.

I have asked my dad today but he just got annoyed. I take this as a sign he would be disappointed if I did go out for a walk. But it's a lovely.day! Mum hasn't yet responded to the text. I dare not share the extent of this permission seeking to my friends, it's embarrassing.

I can assure TSR I was not like this even when I was 14. I was weird and socially awkward but relatively independent at least. I am hoping one day someone will psychoanalyse me and make some shocking revelation that I made an incorrect assumption that my growing up was the reason my parents divorced and became unhappy and so I decided that the only way to make amends was to engage furiously in associative regression and bequeath all my free will to my parents. But for now, can I go for a walk?

Can you go for a walk? You tell me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR is addictive but that don't mean you can't go for a walk :biggrin:
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Can you go for a walk? You tell me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physically I am capable of walking, but I feel like if I did so without their 'permission' now I would cause them great anxiety and upset, which riddles me with guilt and shame. :s-smilie:
I say yes, run free like a puppy and then go home and sleep
Physically I am capable of walking, but I feel like if I did so without their 'permission' now I would cause them great anxiety and upset, which riddles me with guilt and shame. :s-smilie:

Just tell them you want to go outside and air yourself out and admire the views and you'll be home in time for tea

A man's character is his fate. Take reign or be subjugated by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
A man's character is his fate. Take reign or be subjugated by it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like it woild be poor character for me to do this. My parents are more.noble people than me and they walk less

Original post by Juday
Just tell them you want to go outside and air yourself out and admire the views and you'll be home in time for tea

Not sure if patronising...I resent having to do this but feel awful when I don't
I feel like it woild be poor character for me to do this. My parents are more.noble people than me and they walk less

Not sure if patronising...I resent having to do this but feel awful when I don't

Ask them to come with you then? :smile:

Now go walk out the door

[video="youtube;ZBR2G-iI3-I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I[/video]
Original post by the bear
Now go walk out the door

[video="youtube;ZBR2G-iI3-I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I[/video]

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Go for a walk if you want to. The reason your dad got annoyed is because you're a grown man and you don't need his permission to go a walk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
Go for a walk if you want to. The reason your dad got annoyed is because you're a grown man and you don't need his permission to go a walk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't do but feel compelled. More so when he says what he REALLY thinks about me behind my back
Shouldn't do but feel compelled. More so when he says what he REALLY thinks about me behind my back

Try it tomorrow. Be assertive and say to your dad 'I'm going for a walk, see you later'. If you're worried about what he thinks of you, I'm sure he'd be happier to see you making your own decisions and not trying to copy him

Posted from TSR Mobile
What odd socks said. Youre a grown man, so start acting like one, or forever live in your parents pockets. What kind of ****ed up reasoning makes you think you need to ask permission to do things on tsr.
Original post by sherlockfan
What odd socks said. Youre a grown man, so start acting like one, or forever live in your parents pockets. What kind of ****ed up reasoning makes you think you need to ask permission to do things on tsr.

As I mention in OP, my favourite reason is the combination of intellectual maturity along with practical associative regression as defence mechanism for what was perceived by adolescent self as trauma [probably divorce] c. 2009, long past its sell by date but now used manipulatively as part of my Machiavellian tendencies; however due to lifelong risk of addictive tendencies the process backfires hence transference of dependency in absence of parents to laptop, Internet and by extension TSR becomes the surrogate mother figure I crave validation and approval from.
As I mention in OP, my favourite reason is the combination of intellectual maturity along with practical associative regression as defence mechanism for what was perceived by adolescent self as trauma [probably divorce] c. 2009, long past its sell by date but now used manipulatively as part of my Machiavellian tendencies; however due to lifelong risk of addictive tendencies the process backfires hence transference of dependency in absence of parents to laptop, Internet and by extension TSR becomes the surrogate mother figure I crave validation and approval from.

I cant say i understand a lot of what you say. Either youre a supreme intellectual which i doubt, are trying to pose as one or you have some form of thought disorder going on.
(edited 9 years ago)
I cant say i understand a lot of what you say. Either youre a supreme intellectual which i doubt, or you have some form of thought disorder going on.

bit of both lol. Doctor says I'm smart anyway

1) I was stressed by the divorce or some 'trauma'

2) -> I coped by reverting to pre-trauma child-like state and mentality in situations invoking the trauma (mostly regarding independence, e.g. going out alone)-Regression. Manifestation: Emotionally immature craving for validation, reassurance, approval of parents (studies would show this is not conducive to my psychosocial development)

3)-> I had to remain high functioning enough to cope with studies and be flexibly independent-hence not always regressive, in specific situations it seems

4) ->5 years on from the divorce, I am using the same defence mechanism. I am both victim of it, and engaging quite deliberately with it for my own ends (benefits of not growing up)-manipulative streak-to callit Machiavellian is a bit pretentious and extreme, but it's a milder example (for example, making my dad submit)

5) Risk of anxiety disorder preceded drama, is possibly genetic or risk factor of my personality (INFJ? need to double check). Included in this, risk of addictive tendencies to cope with generalised anxiety. Hence, Internet addiction (and alcoholism) always a risk factor.

6) Therefore when I am high functioning adult I can use the defence mechanism manipulatively to my own ends; but at the same time when I use it I lose my capacity to be independent and high functioning, which means I cannot manipulate, indeed I AM manipulated. I also lose control of my addiction in such a state

7) In the now Internet-addicted child-like state, in the absence of my parents, I transfer the source of my validation/reassurance/approval from parents to the new authority figures-which happens to be, rather problematically, my peers not versed in mental health problems…

8) and so I talk to my peers as if they were my mum and dad and I was 12, and receive negative feedback for acting like a child.

Wonder what my psych would make of this theory?

Thee is also the matter of feeling I have the intellectual tools to overcome the trauma but not the practical ones; hence thinking all the time, doing nothing
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
What kind of ****ed up reasoning makes you think you need to ask permission to do things on tsr.

Exactly the line of reasoning that seeks positive affirmation of their opinion of a celebrity enough to make a TSR thread about it, but I digress.

You're in absolutely no position to be doling out comments like this.

OT:
If you don't go for a walk tomorrow I'm going to hunt you down and bop you on the noggin for being such a wet sausage.

Take hold of the thread of fate and reel it in until the rainbow trout at the end is firmly in your grasp

If you believe, you can achieve

420 yolo swag
Original post by Kaiju
Exactly the line of reasoning that seeks positive affirmation of their opinion of a celebrity enough to make a TSR thread about it, but I digress.

You're in absolutely no position to be doling out comments like this.

OT:
If you don't go for a walk tomorrow I'm going to hunt you down and bop you on the noggin for being such a wet sausage.

Take hold of the thread of fate and reel it in until the rainbow trout at the end is firmly in your grasp

If you believe, you can achieve

420 yolo swag

and youre in no position to tell me what position I'm in, but I digress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending