The Student Room Group

Would you datesomeone who does drugs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
I don't really understand how somebody could say they wouldn't date somebody who takes mdma on a night out but would date somebody who drinks. They have the exact same purpose. It just doesn't make any sense.

One is illegal, one is not?
Original post by Dungarees

Well yeah so I suppose if you would never date anyone who did/does anything illegal, then you have a valid reason.

But almost everybody does something illegal every now and then (driving over the speed limit, downloading a song/movie, etc) so for most people that's not the issue.
Reply 62
If it was occasionally and the drugs weren't hard drugs, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was a regular thing, or involved harder drugs then I don't think I could date them - too problematic.
If you see someone who drinks it's not too different. Alcohol is much more likely to end in addiction, bad health and financial ruin than the vast majority of drugs.

Though some drugs such as crack and heroin are obviously off limits.
Depends on the drug and how often. For example, a guy smoking a joint every now and then is fine. A guy constantly under the influence of weed isn't.

I feel the same way about alcohol. A guy having a pint here and there, or going out with his friends and getting drunk on occasion is fine. A guy getting wasted all the time isn't.

When it comes to doing drugs like heroin, that's a big no.
Original post by Anonymous
I really like this guy on my course but have heard on the grapevine he does drugs on nights out? Have no idea how to deal with this because it might only be hearsay but if its its true do I still date him ? What do others think ?

I would never date someone who didn't do drugs.
No I wouldn't.
Original post by Dungarees

What difference does that make?
As long as it didn't start effecting the relationship.
TBH, if you like him, then don't let hearsay stop you. At least approach him and find out for yourself if it's true.
But, regardless, I don't see why that would be a reason not to at least attempt a relationship. You never know, a stable relationship (if one starts) might just be the push he needs to stop...
Original post by therapiststeve
Even if the guy is like a cocaine drug lord and he can buy you anything in the world you want?

Besides the point, but... If I knew someone like that, instant gold digger moment... Just saying.
And, of course, I'll remove this if anyone finds it insensitive/offensive.
Just PM or Quote me and ask
For me, it depends on the persons relationship with said drugs. If it is a negative, problematic relationship (which it is more often with hard drugs than recreational drugs) then it would probably make me think twice. If it is a perfectly reasonable, under control relationship, it would not prevent me dating somebody.
Depends on the drug. I mean if it's stuff like alcohol in moderation then fine, but in most cases I wouldn't like it at all.
i dated a guy who took drugs on a rare occassion. didnt mind since i knew it wasnt a regular occurance.

year into the relationship he went to uni and went off the rails snorting mkat 4x a week (whilst taking other drugs) and waking up in alley ways etc. Needless to say he broke my heart because he cared more about the drugs than me... put me right off dating a drug user again.

saying that tho i really wouldnt mind a guy who smokes weed. just not the harder stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
I wouldn't care within reason as long as it's under control.
Would not be up for that. Was seeing someone who got into drugs a while ago - just weed, then MDMA - now I hear him and his mates take coke regularly. Not saying this is common but it made me terrified every time he went out that something terrible would happen/ I wouldn't be able to help him if he had a very bad low.
Reply 75
a lot of really sheltered people on TSR

personally have done multiple times, as long as they're not completely stupid about it i'm cool with it.
Original post by joker12345
1) what if it's not even a habit, just something they do now and again?
2) would you not date someone who drinks, or drinks regularly, as the habit can become a problem?

I don't agree with drugs, end of. So I wouldn't date anyone who took them at all. My partner doesn't drink, so your second question isn't really a problem. I wouldn't date someone who drinks regularly, or doesn't believe they can have fun without drinking.

I was planning what we were doing for new year last night, and a friend of mine is refusing to come to the party we're going to because he'd have to drive and therefore couldn't drink. So instead he's going to sit in all night on his own just so that he can pour alcohol down his throat. I mean, really? I just find it all a bit sad to be honest.
Yes, unless they were addicted. I similarly wouldn't date someone with an eating disorder, given my own struggles.
No, never.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending