The Student Room Group

Biology question on the breakdown of triglcerides?

"Lipases are enzymes that are involved in the breakdown of lipids, such as
triglycerides"

Suggest what effect the breakdown of triglycerides could have on the pH of a reaction mixture.

Can someone explain this? The mark scheme says it causes a drop but I don't understand how though

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Here's something to consider:

Triglycerides are composed of three fatty ACIDS and glycerol, which in addition to water, are the products of the reaction
Original post by zhang-liao
triglycerides"

Suggest what effect the breakdown of triglycerides could have on the pH of a reaction mixture.

Can someone explain this? The mark scheme says it causes a drop but I don't understand how though

Spoiler

A triglyceride is made up of one molecule of glycerol with three fatty acids attached. If the triglyceride is hydrolysed, the fatty acids will cause the pH to drop (become more acidic, become more minus, raise the concentration of Hydrogen ions) when they are released.
triglycerides"

Spoiler

Well, what are triglycerides broken down into? :smile:
When a triglyceride is broken down, it breaks down to form glycerol and three fatty ACIDS. When a solution becomes more acidic the pH decreases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by usycool1

Original post by beyknowles
A triglyceride is made up of one molecule of glycerol with three fatty acids attached. If the triglyceride is hydrolysed, the fatty acids will cause the pH to drop (become more acidic, become more minus, raise the concentration of Hydrogen ions) when they are released.

Original post by ashelisms
Here's something to consider:

Triglycerides are composed of three fatty ACIDS and glycerol, which in addition to water, are the products of the reaction

Original post by francescac
When a triglyceride is broken down, it breaks down to form glycerol and three fatty ACIDS. When a solution becomes more acidic the pH decreases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah I get it now...:colondollar:
The drop is caused by the acidity of the fatty acid chains (aka the lipids)

Sly question, that was...:colondollar:
Aaah I get it now...:colondollar:
The drop is caused by the acidity of the fatty acid chains (aka the lipids)

Sly question, that was...:colondollar:

Loool, happy to help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by usycool1

Usy, I can't rep you now because I've repped you before but once I've got the chance, I should do hopefully :biggrin:

Quick Reply