The Student Room Group

Healthcare manager??

Hello,
So I'm in my final year of my physiotherapy degree and I've realised that I actually have a strong interest for business and management within healthcare.
Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about it?
I'm aware of the NHS graduate scheme but its so competitive to get on!
Would like to hear some stories from people who were in a similar situation to me!
Thanks
Reply 1
I am on the grad scheme if you want any information regarding that. I think you would struggle to begin with. Have you any NHS experience? Managers I have met have transferred from the private sector or worked their way up. As I am sure you know the NHS is vast; part of the reason of the grad scheme for me was because it gives me a bit of direction. You can't just walk into a managerial job with no experience, the grad scheme is a bit of an exception to that really. Is there a particular reason you don't want to be a physio?
I'm a junior doctor and I've taken a 1 year apprenticeship style job in between furthering my medical training to learn more about NHS management. I'm also doing a postgrad certificate in clinical leadership at uni alongside it. When I'm finished, I'll go back to usual medical training to become a consultant, but will have had a bit more training than most about management.

There's a lot you can do under your own steam without being on a specific course or having a specific job.
Ask to shadow managers in your hospital/healthcare setting on your days off. Become involved in physio and therapist committees and societies locally and nationally. Talk to your lead therapist and find out what experience they've had. Many hospitals have a director of therapies on their executive board.

There's loads of ways to continue being a physio, but also get involved in stuff that meets your interests in management, and it will probably set you apart from other physio's, be the kind of thing that looks good in an interview etc. Looks like the CSP has some web pages on clinical leadership but it's down for maintenance atm so worth having a look at later.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending