The Student Room Group

Which legal path after graduation to take?

Hey everyone I'm new here so please be nice! :smile:

I'm so confused as to which is the most successful path to take once completing my law degree this summer. I know a select few of my friends have managed to secure TC's which is amazing, but is it too late applying? And how likely is it that I will be successful? I don't want to waste forever applying if I'm up against people with a better CV than me! I should mention that currently I'm on a 2:2 so I wouldn't be applying to the main firms like Freshfields etc, probably local high street firms.

I've completed work experience at two different law firms over summer so that's going to look quite appealing but I get so nervous in interviews and I feel like this is really going to hold me back. On the other hand, paralegal work is attractive but similarly, I've heard this type of work is difficult to obtain and highly competitive. I really don't want to have nothing to do once I graduate, that would be so depressing.

I guess if both those legal routes fail I could apply for regular jobs like retail/hospitality in the meantime, but obviously I'd like my career to take off sooner rather than later so I can progress and not have to wait around.

Any comments or advice/personal experience would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 1
My friend graduated last summer and went straight on to working as a paralegal. I've heard that you don't need an LPC for that job, although if you want to train as a solicitor the firm may make you do the LPC and then have a solicitors position waiting for you on completion of the LPC.

I'm interested in criminal but there's no money in that field. Worked in a small conveyencing office over summer and hated it, very dull and wasn't what I expected. I'd probably want to do something non-corporate? I know most TC's offer corporate/commercial positions though so this is making me think I won't get anywhere haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending