The Student Room Group

Grade this GCSE Romeo essay

How does Romeo change between Act 1 scene 1 and Act 1 scene 5?
The audience can depict a huge variation between, Romeos’ behaviour and mood, as the play progresses. For example at the start of the play Romeo is portrayed as being psychologically conflicted, predominantly due to his persistent behaviour, towards his lover: Rosaline. Shakespeare presents the unrequited love, between Romeo and Rosaline, by the use of constant oxymorons, which are specifically used to show Romeo’s childish obsession and misunderstanding of the terminology of love, this can possibly unleash empathy towards Romeo, from the reader’s mind, as they believe that Romeo is being deceived by Rosaline’s vivacity. When Romeo first encounters with the audience, he contradicts himself (oxymoron): ‘why, then, O brawling love, O loving hate’. Not only does he express his extreme emotions but he also demonstrates immaturity and potential for deeper love. He also fantasises about something that is impossible for him to gain, which hence leaves him in anguish; it also shows that Romeo is vulnerable and naïve. Romeo also notices the paradoxical nature of ‘love’ and ‘hate’, or alternatively he might be implying that love causes affray, whereas love can cause hate (or you can love the one’s you hate - ideally referring to his future love: Juliet). This may refer to the historical and cultural context as the main theme (antithesis between love and hate), which traces back to the Roman period (a century before Christ), when Catullus wrote the first poem which first contrasted and played with the two strong topics: love and hate. This deals with the most significant and sensitive topics in the whole play, and might foreshadow the Capulet family, though it also gives the audience an insight into the character of Romeo, as he associates grief with love (or vice versa). Romeo’s confusion is further emphasised through another oxymoron, which shows his agonising suffering due to his lovesick nature. Romeo illustrates his disturbed mental state as: ’Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health, still-walking sleep!’ This shows that love is not working for him, maybe due to his lack of knowledge or experience of the subject it’s as contradictory as a ‘feather of lead’ or ‘cold fire’. This quote also distinguishes of Romeo being in love and being depressed; it could also refer to the family quarrel and the affection of Romeo, towards his lover. Love should bestow ecstasy and happiness, however instead it makes Romeo feel melancholic, depressed and isolated from the world of joy. Shakespeare also uses metaphors to make it easier to perceive between Romeo’s oppressive thoughts, consequently this evokes strong feelings and mesmerises the audience. For example Romeo states (whilst expressing his sorrows towards Benvolio):‘love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs’. This thus relates to smoke , which is very obscure and can kill - just like love. ‘Smoke’ generally has negative connotations, as it is produced from fire, which can symbolises: rage, power,pain and destruction, however it can also show a passionate and energetic aspect of life, thus representing Romeo . Alternatively, Shakespeare portrays that Romeo is enchanted by Rosaline’s beauty, possibly showing him being slightly prejudice, by using the verb ‘sigh’; it also shows that if you sigh at someone you endeavour to seek their attention, and thereby possess them - though you can not have them. On the final three lines of the soliloquy Romeo states: ‘Love is madness, love chokes us, love preserves us’. This quote however differentiates, since it delivers both: an ambiguous positive image, as well as an evocative negative meaning. For instance two of the images created in the audiences’ mind are negative, as ‘love chokes us’ like smoke, thus bringing the audience back to the first line (coherence); love is also associated with ‘madness’. The audience might interpret that the term lovesick correctly defines Romeo’s behaviour, as his madness and impulsiveness is in terms of gaining satisfaction, by Rosaline acknowledging that she also acquires love for Romeo, wholeheartedly. Although the quote also creates a strong vivid image, which opposes with the negativity. For example the word ‘preserve’ connotates with protection, which is given by true love. The soliloquy finishes with the word ‘sweet’. Not only does this show the significance of true love, but the soliloquy also declares that love can be agonising when one of the both lovers don’t express or hold any sacred and esteem views within their relationship, thus damaging the lover who does hold affection (in this case it is Romeo). Overall Shakespeare's complex mingle with love not only captivates the audience, but it also makes them praise the values of true love, thus making them intrigued to the plot of the play. Romeo’s behavior suddenly diverts to the positive aspects of life, whilst being mesmerised by Juliet’s extreme beauty, in act 1 scene 5. This is shown through another soliloquy,which throughout signifies an emblem for love from first sight, which hence declares that the love felt from both protagonists is nothing but true love.
I'd personally say an A....Get your teacher to mark it :smile:
Hi, my French teacher has asked me to write a paragraph in the present tense, can someone chechk it for me and give me a grade as I don't want to rewrite it. Thankyou Tous les 36 du mois je vais aller en afrique du sud avec mes ami pour une semaine puisqu'il fait vraiment chaud. Nous sommes voyageur parfois en avion de l'aeroport de Gatwich. malheureusement le voyageur dure approximatives neuf heure, une perte de temps. Par contre me parents le voyage est rapide mais tout est bien. Nous rester hotel de luxe bord de la mer parce que 'aime bronzer. Si mes parents nous la permetlent je un feu sur la plage et dormir a la belle etoile parce que ca coute trop cher louer une appartment dans une tation. Finalement je visite les musees car j'appris beaucoup au surfet de l'historie. :smile:
Reply 3
anyone out there who can give constructive feedback and a grade
If this is controlled assessment you can no longer use it.
Reply 5
no
Original post by skidders
Hi, my French teacher has asked me to write a paragraph in the present tense, can someone chechk it for me and give me a grade as I don't want to rewrite it. Thankyou Tous les 36 du mois je vais aller en afrique du sud avec mes ami pour une semaine puisqu'il fait vraiment chaud. Nous sommes voyageur parfois en avion de l'aeroport de Gatwich. malheureusement le voyageur dure approximatives neuf heure, une perte de temps. Par contre me parents le voyage est rapide mais tout est bien. Nous rester hotel de luxe bord de la mer parce que 'aime bronzer. Si mes parents nous la permetlent je un feu sur la plage et dormir a la belle etoile parce que ca coute trop cher louer une appartment dans une tation. Finalement je visite les musees car j'appris beaucoup au surfet de l'historie. :smile:

You should probably post this in the French section and not on someones article.

Quick Reply

Latest