The Student Room Group

Hiking through Central America

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to go hiking/trekking in Central America next summer and just really looking for anyone who hase done anything similar and has any advice about the best companies to go with / where to go / what to avoid / etc..

I'm not really fussed as to which specific countries I go to (although not Mexico please!) so hopefully that makes it a bit easier. I would estimate I'd like to be out there for 4-6 weeks and visit as many different places as possible! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thankyou!!
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Hey why don't you go to Costa Rica?! its an amazing place. There are loads of places to see, its fairly safe too.

If you do go I highly recommend the Pacuare Reserve. I worked there as a volunteer and then as an assistant and it was the experience of my life!

have a look at www.turtleprotection.org

Good luck
PC

Original post by Wallam
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to go hiking/trekking in Central America next summer and just really looking for anyone who hase done anything similar and has any advice about the best companies to go with / where to go / what to avoid / etc..

I'm not really fussed as to which specific countries I go to (although not Mexico please!) so hopefully that makes it a bit easier. I would estimate I'd like to be out there for 4-6 weeks and visit as many different places as possible! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thankyou!!
Guatemala for the ancient ruins is the standout part of central america in my opinion, you have to go there
Reply 4
Hey I've been travelling Central America for the past 2 months and live in Honduras, message me for advice if you want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I spent 3 months in Nicaragua so can advise you on that if you need

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shahh112
I spent 3 months in Nicaragua so can advise you on that if you need

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I'm going to Nicaragua next year around april-july ish would love some advice/ general best bit to check out!
Reply 7
Original post by eatsleepsurf
Hi I'm going to Nicaragua next year around april-july ish would love some advice/ general best bit to check out!

I spent most of my time in Matagalpa which is a really cool laid back place

I'd defo recommend going to Esteli though, Managua was okay but it is quite hot and humid there

If you do one thing there make sure you go to the volcano at Masaya its honestly the highlight of my trip, the views are amazing, they've also got a really cool tourists market there as well so you can pick up any presents etc - also all the major towns usually have massive churches and id recommend popping in if you can

If you're looking for coffee then the best place to go is Jinotega but the coffee all over the country is amazing

In terms of general advice be prepared for quite hot weather over most of the country but there's also places where I'll be monsoon season so expect heavy rain at times too.

People are generally quite friendly and in terms of contacting home the internet cafes are really cheap - general day to day expenses are also quite low, you can comfortably get 3 meals/drinks a day for around $6-8 depending on what you're looking for

Anything else you wanna know?
I spent most of my time in Matagalpa which is a really cool laid back place

I'd defo recommend going to Esteli though, Managua was okay but it is quite hot and humid there

If you do one thing there make sure you go to the volcano at Masaya its honestly the highlight of my trip, the views are amazing, they've also got a really cool tourists market there as well so you can pick up any presents etc - also all the major towns usually have massive churches and id recommend popping in if you can

If you're looking for coffee then the best place to go is Jinotega but the coffee all over the country is amazing

In terms of general advice be prepared for quite hot weather over most of the country but there's also places where I'll be monsoon season so expect heavy rain at times too.

People are generally quite friendly and in terms of contacting home the internet cafes are really cheap - general day to day expenses are also quite low, you can comfortably get 3 meals/drinks a day for around $6-8 depending on what you're looking for

Anything else you wanna know?

Thats great cheers for the quick reply!
Did you travel around on the 'chicken buses'/ other transport?

How did you find the language (do you speak spanish)?

Was it easy to just turn up randomly and find cool places and things to do or did you plan in detail before?

ahaha very keen sorry for the list
Reply 9
Original post by eatsleepsurf
Thats great cheers for the quick reply!
Did you travel around on the 'chicken buses'/ other transport?

How did you find the language (do you speak spanish)?

Was it easy to just turn up randomly and find cool places and things to do or did you plan in detail before?

ahaha very keen sorry for the list

No problem haha!

All travelling was done on buses

I didn't speak a word of it before I arrived but you'll definitely pick it up - if you do speak Spanish theres subtle differences in pronunciations BTW

Most of it was planned ahead but even just taking a stroll around you find some really cool things - the only real thing planned was the volcano but that's really easy to arrange you just have to pay to get in and its not far from Managua
No problem haha!

All travelling was done on buses

I didn't speak a word of it before I arrived but you'll definitely pick it up - if you do speak Spanish theres subtle differences in pronunciations BTW

Most of it was planned ahead but even just taking a stroll around you find some really cool things - the only real thing planned was the volcano but that's really easy to arrange you just have to pay to get in and its not far from Managua

cool thank you very much ! !

Quick Reply

Latest