The Student Room Group

I have A Levels but don't want to declare them on UCAS

I'm in my 20s. I have 3 A Levels at BBD grades.

I've messed about so much I just want a clean start.

A university offers and access course for something I'd be really interested in. However, they only offer it to people that have GCSEs only and not to people that have A Levels in science.

Can I just say I have GCSEs only? How easily can the university find out? I really want a spot on this course, it would probably turn my life around.

Thanks.
Original post by genericusern4me

A university offers and access course for something I'd be really interested in. However, they only offer it to people that have GCSEs only and not to people that have A Levels in science.

Can I just say I have GCSEs only? How easily can the university find out? I really want a spot on this course, it would probably turn my life around.

Thanks.

You have no choice. Not to declare all qualifications is regarded by universities as fraud. How about looking at foundation years? Although you will find places at university with BBD without too much problem.
Reply 2
If you lie, the uni will find out easily. Unfortunately, if they don't offer this course for people with A Levels you can't do it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You have no choice. Not to declare all qualifications is regarded by universities as fraud. How about looking at foundation years? Although you will find places at university with BBD without too much problem.

It is a foundation year, I just don't qualify for it because I've done some science A Levels. I did pretty **** in them anyway. How likely am I to get caught if I just miss them off?

I don't like the idea of lying but I really want a place on this course.
No, you have to declare them. Your only chance would be to contact them directly to see if they could make an exception for you. I don't know why they would but I don't think there's any harm in trying?
It is a foundation year, I just don't qualify for it because I've done some science A Levels. I did pretty **** in them anyway. How likely am I to get caught if I just miss them off?

I don't like the idea of lying but I really want a place on this course.

Very likely, and at any point during the whole course, at which point you would be chucked off it. Take a look at www.whatuni.com and type in the subject and your qualifications and you will probably be amazed at how many options you will have with BBD, which is 240 points.

Thanks.

I'm a bit confused, do you want to apply for an Access to HE course at a college or a foundation year at a university? It would certainly be a lot easier and less risky lying to your local college about having A levels, but you absolutely must declare all your qualifications if you are applying through UCAS, it is fraudulent not to do so. I don't know if a university would find out, but if they did then they would be within their rights to chuck you off the course, even if you were a week away from graduating.

Do you know this for certain? I know a number of people who have gone on to do foundation years even though they have A levels. Obviously universities are unlikely to accept students who have recently completed A levels, they usually require there to be a gap of at least three years between you finishing school and starting the foundation year. If you haven't already done so, contact the university and ask them if they'd consider you with old A levels.

Edit: I go to make a sandwich in the middle of typing a reply and everyone answers before me. :doh:
(edited 9 years ago)
You're going to get caught out :lol:
Original post by Snufkin
I'm a bit confused, do you want to apply for an Access to HE course at a college or a foundation year at a university? It would certainly be a lot easier and less risky lying to your local college about having A levels, but you absolutely must declare all your qualifications if you are applying through UCAS, it is fraudulent not to do so. I don't know if a university would find out, but if they did then they would be within their rights to chuck you off the course, even if you were a week away from graduating.

Do you know this for certain? I know a number of people who have gone on to do foundation years even though they have A levels. Obviously universities are unlikely to accept students who have recently completed A levels, they usually require there to be a gap of at least three years between you finishing school and starting the foundation year. If you haven't already done so, contact the university and ask them if they'd consider you with old A levels.

Edit: I go to make a sandwich in the middle of typing a reply and everyone answers before me. :doh:

It's at a HE college but the application must be done through UCAS. They have links with a university and it would guarantee me a place on a course there if I passed the year at the college.

It explicitly says that they will not consider A Level students unless they've had 5 years+ out of education and did non science subjects. I'm 5 years out of education but did science based A Levels.

I seem to have found the perfect course but I'm unable to apply for it without lying.
You might class as a mature student. In which case, they don't really care about your A Levels so you might be accepted onto the course even with them. Just call up and find out but don't miss them off your UCAS otherwise they can just kick you off.
Original post by CaptainDJJoe
You might class as a mature student. In which case, they don't really care about your A Levels so you might be accepted onto the course even with them.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and help but I really don't think that's the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending