The Student Room Group

Which of the two finance jobs would less adversely affect my grad entry application?

I have been working as a Mechanical Engineer for 1.5 years (my undergrad was in Biomedical Engineering). Not happy with the salary and career progression, lack of challenge.

At the moment I have two opportunities in finance: one as a junior physical gas trader and one as a software engineer / quantitative modeller. The "gas" job is at a better firm, but less close to what I like. The "quant" job is closer to what I like, but at a slightly dodgy firm.

I am also considering doing a graduate entry course in medicine applying this year for a start in two years time. I can kind of see how Biomedical Engineering can lead to Medicine and my unique experience might be valued.

The challenge is my current opportunities. They might develop into fulfilling careers, but if not, which one would be telling a better story: a) BME --> Gas Trading --> b) Medicine or BME --> Quant Finance --> Medicine?

N.B. Please be nice, this is not a troll question as "odd" as it may sound.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by a.l.verminburger
I have been working as a Mechanical Engineer for 1.5 years (my undergrad was in Biomedical Engineering). Not happy with the salary and career progression, lack of challenge.

At the moment I have two opportunities in finance: one as a junior physical gas trader and one as a software engineer / quantitative modeller. The "gas" job is at a better firm, but less close to what I like. The "quant" job is closer to what I like, but at a slightly dodgy firm.

I am also considering doing a graduate entry course in medicine applying this year for a start in two years time. I can kind of see how Biomedical Engineering can lead to Medicine and my unique experience might be valued.

The challenge is my current opportunities. They might develop into fulfilling careers, but if not, which one would be telling a better story: a) BME --> Gas Trading --> b) Medicine or BME --> Quant Finance --> Medicine?

N.B. Please be nice, this is not a troll question as "odd" as it may sound.

They couldn't possibly care less out of those two. You're going to need to go with whatever job allows you enough time off to gain the requisite work experience and voluntary work, though.

I don't think you can apply for deferred entry, by the way - unless you mean you'd be applying by the October 2015 deadline for entry in September 2016, of course.
Original post by Ronove
They couldn't possibly care less out of those two. You're going to need to go with whatever job allows you enough time off to gain the requisite work experience and voluntary work, though.

I don't think you can apply for deferred entry, by the way - unless you mean you'd be applying by the October 2015 deadline for entry in September 2016, of course.

Hi Ronove. Thank you for the reply -- I haven't considered the dimension of "time available for voluntary work" in any of these options. My gut feeling is that they will probably be both similar in this respect though. I do have biomedical research experience, but not patient contact one.

In one of the open days, I've heard one of the lecturers suggest that it is good to have a hobby like "programming" to counter the (at times) monotony of medical training :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending