The Student Room Group

How do i stop finding higher level maths so scary?

I look at university level analysis and equations and it just scares me a lot. How am I ever going to understand
such complexity?
I am keen on studying Physics as I find knowledge of the intricacies which make up and operate in our universe very intriguing, but I am highly deterred by the (heavily) mathematical aspects of the course...
How do I gradually acclimatise myself to the increased rigor and demands of university level mathematics without becoming stressed if I do not understand concepts easily?

How do I know when to drop out if it 'gets too much'?

I really want a career in science, particularly physics, but the maths scares me!

Help is really appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Joyful_soul
I look at university level analysis and equations and it just scares me a lot. How am I ever going to understand
such complexity?
I am keen on studying Physics as I find knowledge of the intricacies which make up and operate in our universe very intriguing, but I am highly deterred by the (heavily) mathematical aspects of the course...
How do I gradually acclimatise myself to the increased rigor and demands of university level mathematics without becoming stressed if I do not understand concepts easily?

I really want a career in science, particularly physics, but the maths scares me!

Thank you

You do not really need analysis or pure maths to do physics successfully
Original post by Joyful_soul
such complexity?

Thank you

Physics is (now) essentially very applied maths, coupled with experiment and stats. Bear in mind, though, that almost no-one leaves school knowing any higher-level maths, and yet somehow there are hundreds of thousands of physicists in the world.
Although it scares you now, it won't scare you once you start learning it properly.

Every time I start a new module and look through the notes in advance, I literally think it just looks like symbols, but at the end once I've finished the module, it all (mostly) makes sense!
Don't make the mistake of thinking something is hard before you've even tried.
Until you've actually been taught it or self-taught it, you can't comment on the difficulty ! Besides not all ugly equations actually are that difficult ! But I must say it's good to actualy UNDERSTAND the math, rather than just learn how to do questions especially at university level or higher.

Quick Reply

Latest