The Student Room Group

Why is there no post on Sunday?

I don't understand why we can't have post delivered on Sundays. It's 2014, religion should be separate from state and thus all this "day of rest" nonsense should have gone by now.

Benefits of post on Sunday:

Customers get their goods/letters faster

More jobs available for those who want to work on Sunday (and yes, many people do want to work on Sundays - not necessarily 7 days a week though, they can change shifts however etc)

Incentive for shipping companies to increase efficiency as delivery times will fall

Numerous benefits to the economy (employment, trade etc)

I understand the magnitude of these benefits might not be too big since it's only one day of the week, but they're still beneficial.

Also, is there some kind of law preventing post on Sundays? I know some postal services have offered Sunday delivery and Royal Mail started opening their offices on Sundays for collection but why can't they just deliver on Sunday too?

Would you mind having post delivered on Sundays? I think we should start a trial of post on Sundays and see how it goes (although nationally, not just in the London area like the aforementioned RM offices)

Scroll to see replies

I suppose it dates back to a time when everything was shut on Sunday, and no-one worked. I expect in the near future we'll be able to get things delivered on a Sunday, especially now that loads of companies can deliver things to your house, not just Royal Mail. Similarly with Sunday trading laws, I think all shops should be allowed to be open on a Sunday all day if they wish to do so.
Because people are damn lazy.
Reply 3
Original post by Genocidal
Because people are damn lazy.

Seems like it. Over Christmas I worked on Sundays and they seemed no different to Saturdays, though I am also a student.

If shops have started trading on Sundays then it should follow that post is delivered on Sundays as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because people are entitled to a day off. It wouldn't just be the post men and women working on the SUnday if we were having post delivered on a Sunday.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Because people are entitled to a day off. It wouldn't just be the post men and women working on the SUnday if we were having post delivered on a Sunday.

Good point but what if they wanted to work? A lot of people want to work overtime

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student

Hire some more people then? Loads of businesses can arrange their staff to cover all seven days.
Reply 7
1) People need some time off work. 2) Because of 1) it would cost more in in salaries to provide Sunday delivery which Royal Mail doesn't judge worth the investment. 3) It isn't exactly the end of the world to have one day a week where you don't receive mail, particularly since nowadays must of it is futile.
Reply 8
Because Uncle Vernon said so. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Zarek
1) People need some time off work. 2) Because of 1) it would cost more in in salaries to provide Sunday delivery which Royal Mail doesn't judge worth the investment. 3) It isn't exactly the end of the world to have one day a week where you don't receive mail, particularly since nowadays must of it is futile.

I'm not suggesting the same people work, just use different shifts. I don't understand why it would cost more in salaries since there would be less post to deliver during the week so they can finish earlier so the loss in salary can be made up on sundays. i.e. if they finish 1 hour earlier every weekday+Saturday then work 6 hours on Sunday it would be the same.

I'm not saying we are currently in an awful system - it's great and it works, but Sunday deliveries would just make it all go a little bit faster
Original post by Dylann
I'm not suggesting the same people work, just use different shifts. I don't understand why it would cost more in salaries since there would be less post to deliver during the week so they can finish earlier so the loss in salary can be made up on sundays. i.e. if they finish 1 hour earlier every weekday+Saturday then work 6 hours on Sunday it would be the same.

I'm not saying we are currently in an awful system - it's great and it works, but Sunday deliveries would just make it all go a little bit faster

I think there's just no financial or operational incentive to do it. The only people who need mail criticially (i.e. couldn't wait another day) are businesses and most businesses wouldn't need mail on a Sunday. Back in the days where most people needed mail criticially (as it was their only means of communication) there were two deliveries a day. But again there's no financial or operational incentive anymore. It's not like we would pay more for a Sunday delivery so why would they do it?
It's literally the only day..only ONE day out of the whole week. Surely everyone is used to it now?

What's the point in Sunday mail if not everyone will be able to benefit?

Some companies only open Monday-Friday or Monday-Saturday so what difference will it make if it arrives Sunday (when no one is there anyway) and Monday (when people will be there)?

'Faster' does not equal 'better.'
It's nothing to do with religion tbh...

Post used to be delivered three times a day every day except Sunday to give the postie a day off.

Then it went down to two deliveries, one person in the morning round then a different dude in the afternoon...

Then it became once in the morning only -and half of the people working for Royal Mail got laid off (my dad being one of them)...

Now it's become once, sporadically at any time of the day on the whim that Royal Mail thinks "oh yh lol we should probably deliver that huge pile of post that's been there for days lol"

Royal Mail has gone to **** over the last few years, there's basically just no money left to run an effective service :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dylann

With this vision and creativity you could be destined for a bright career in Royal Mail Management.
The idea of having post on Sundays would be actually quite good. For example, most of my family don't work on weekends, so they can easily receive post for me since I'm working on weekends.
There's no post on Saturday.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Summertime112

Posted from TSR Mobile

:s-smilie: there is.
God needed to rest on the seventh day and you think postmen don't?
Original post by Summertime112

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is!
Right you are, Harry

Latest

Trending

Trending