The Student Room Group

Do you have your Macbook in a case??

Hey Guys,

Considering our Macs are works of art, where do you stand on the whole case thing? Personally I've never used cases on my iPhone etc but after dropping £2.5K on my new retina wondering if some sort of case would be a good idea?

So guys, do you have a case? Experiences? Worth it?

Thanks Dudes

RAC :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have a macbook pro and since day 1 I've had it in a case, I got one of the coloured plastic ones with the cutout for the apple logo. I've had the mac for 2 and half years now and I've replaced the case once because the bottom half was cracked. I think it's worth it, I dropped my mac once when it was on my bed and I leant down to get something, the mattress dipped and it slipped off, the corner of the plastic case cracked but my mac was fine. Obviously I don't know what damage would've been done but I feel happier knowing that I potentially avoided serious damage. Over 2 years later my mac is completely undamaged, no scratches, no dents, practically perfect.

The only downside I see to the case is that now I'm at uni I use my mac a lot more, it gets hot quite quickly, since I don't really take it out of my room so I took off the bottom half to help it keep cooler. I left the top part on because I like having my mac in my favourite colour.
Original post by hrbrox
I have a macbook pro and since day 1 I've had it in a case, I got one of the coloured plastic ones with the cutout for the apple logo. I've had the mac for 2 and half years now and I've replaced the case once because the bottom half was cracked. I think it's worth it, I dropped my mac once when it was on my bed and I leant down to get something, the mattress dipped and it slipped off, the corner of the plastic case cracked but my mac was fine. Obviously I don't know what damage would've been done but I feel happier knowing that I potentially avoided serious damage. Over 2 years later my mac is completely undamaged, no scratches, no dents, practically perfect.

The only downside I see to the case is that now I'm at uni I use my mac a lot more, it gets hot quite quickly, since I don't really take it out of my room so I took off the bottom half to help it keep cooler. I left the top part on because I like having my mac in my favourite colour.

Interesting, Thanks, Would you say it added much bulk/thickness to the Machine?
Original post by Ryan_Anthony_
Interesting, Thanks, Would you say it added much bulk/thickness to the Machine?

Not really, I've just taken a couple of pics, one with the case, one without, I tried to get the as close to the same angle as possible. Mine's a mid-2012 model so it's quite bulky anyway, I don't notice the difference but judge for yourself :smile:

Upload button isn't working and I've got to go, I'll try again later :smile:
No.. I should though tbh
Original post by childofthesun
No.. I should though tbh

Mind me asking why? I'm assuming it's picked up some marks along the way...
Mind me asking why? I'm assuming it's picked up some marks along the way...

No particular reason. I've been meaning to get one for ages
A few scratches. It has only gotten badly damaged once but that was a result of my stupid little sister
Original post by childofthesun
No particular reason. I've been meaning to get one for ages
A few scratches. It has only gotten badly damaged once but that was a result of my stupid little sister

Ahh see what you mean, Spend most my life commuting so probably should! Thanks
Yes. Given my habit of dropping it, buying a protective case seemed like a good idea. As was getting it insured against accidental damage.
No, but i've been meaning to get one for the past year. Mines got a couple nicks but nothing too noticeable. I would recommend getting one, I accidentally dropped some tweezers next to my track pad which has left a little tiny chip, but damn doesnt it piss me off.
Here we are, my MacBook with and without case. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419187261.720482.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1419187274.545791.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I have a sleeve to stop it rubbing against other things in my bag but when I'm using the computer I don't want anything stuck on it, defeats the point of having a nice thin laptop.
Original post by Quantex
Yes. Given my habit of dropping it, buying a protective case seemed like a good idea. As was getting it insured against accidental damage.

Already got it insured, Protect my bubble :smile: imagine they'd tell me to take a hike just for some scratches though lol
Which one do you have? Been looking at the Speck's but they have some pretty meh reviews...

Original post by College_Dropout
No, but i've been meaning to get one for the past year. Mines got a couple nicks but nothing too noticeable. I would recommend getting one, I accidentally dropped some tweezers next to my track pad which has left a little tiny chip, but damn doesnt it piss me off.

Exactly my reasoning, I could probably live with a few scracthes but anything else would just iritate me, on the other hand, so would a case ruining my work of art.... Ahhhh first world problems:smile:

Original post by hrbrox
Here we are, my MacBook with and without case. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419187261.720482.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1419187274.545791.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thanks dude, can't see a major difference myself, see what you mean about the cracks and bits missing, imagine it's not as stable as it used to be... May have to get a clear case then (Couldn't deal with the colours)
Original post by jameswhughes
No. I have a sleeve to stop it rubbing against other things in my bag but when I'm using the computer I don't want anything stuck on it, defeats the point of having a nice thin laptop.

That's the argument my OCD pain in the arse brain is putting up, if you don't Mind me asking, what's the condition like and how long have you had it?
That's the argument my OCD pain in the arse brain is putting up, if you don't Mind me asking, what's the condition like and how long have you had it?

Pristine and two years. :wink:

I'd recommend one of those LCD screen cleaning kits to keep it shiny (you can use the spray over the entire machine not just the display :biggrin:)

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleaning-complete-microfibre-anti-static-storage/dp/B000I7D7OG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419188497&sr=8-4&keywords=lcd+screen+cleaner)
Original post by jameswhughes
Pristine and two years. :wink:

I'd recommend one of those LCD screen cleaning kits to keep it shiny (you can use the spray over the entire machine not just the display :biggrin:)

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleaning-complete-microfibre-anti-static-storage/dp/B000I7D7OG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419188497&sr=8-4&keywords=lcd+screen+cleaner)

Wow awesome, I'd be using mine mostly at home, on the train, at work and at uni so fair bit of commuting so at the least would get a sleeve..

Never thought about that, thanks for the link!
Already got it insured, Protect my bubble :smile: imagine they'd tell me to take a hike just for some scratches though lol
Which one do you have? Been looking at the Speck's but they have some pretty meh reviews...

It is some unbranded one I bought on eBay, but it seems robust enough.

As for insurance, did you not look into getting it bolted onto house insurance/parent's house insurance? Protect my bubble and other such companies are an absolute con. I think I pay a few quid a year.
Original post by Quantex
It is some unbranded one I bought on eBay, but it seems robust enough.

As for insurance, did you not look into getting it bolted onto house insurance/parent's house insurance? Protect my bubble and other such companies are an absolute con. I think I pay a few quid a year.

Did look into it but didn't cover accidental damage so didn't bother, Insure my iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 64GB, Macbook, Xbox one and my Bro's laptop (good brother eh :smile: )for £25 a month.... Seemed acceptable to me at the time...

Exactly my reasoning, I could probably live with a few scracthes but anything else would just iritate me, on the other hand, so would a case ruining my work of art.... Ahhhh first world problems:smile:

Wow thanks dude, can't see a major difference myself, see what you mean about the cracks and bits missing, imagine it's not as stable as it used to be... May have to get a clear case then (Couldn't deal with the colours)

Tell me about it. This little thing pisses me off so hard.
IMG_0163.jpg
Original post by College_Dropout
Tell me about it. This little thing pisses me off so hard.

Unbelieveably small but would drive me absouloutley nuts... I feel sorry for you bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending