The Student Room Group

TSR F1 2015 awards

Hi everyone.

Thought it would be a cool idea to put up some F1 2015 awards from TSR users.

Thinking we can have a nomination thread (this thread) and then a voting thread for each award after the nominations have been received.

Driver of the year.
Team of the year.
Drive of the year.
Race of the year.
Overtake of the year.
Comeback of the year.
Qualifying session of the year.
Crash of the year(nominating anything where people were injured like suzuka not cool obviously)
Worst driver of the year
Worst team of the year

Other suggestions for awards?

Stealing the quote list from the fantasy f1 league since I know you guys like f1.

Quote list

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Driver of the year.

Ricciardo : Same team as current champion, for time champion and kicks his ass.

Team of the year.

Williams: Compared to 2013 their turnaround was simply amazing. Obviously Mercedes were slightly better but comparing budgets etc. Williams did well.

Drive of the year.

Bianchi in Monaco :that ninth place. Spectacular overtakes on the Caterham as well. Very aggressive.

Race of the year.

Bahrain: First time we saw Rosberg v Hamilton properly toe to toe.

Overtake of the year.

Dunno,

Comeback of the year.

Dunno

Monaco :That incident.

Crash of the year(nominating anything where people were injured like suzuka not cool obviously)

Dunno

Worst driver of the year

Kimi : Was a disappointment tbh. Got schooled by alonso.

Worst team of the year

Lotus, Terrible, especially compared to last year.
Original post by Motorbiker
Driver of the year.

Ricciardo : Same team as current champion, for time champion and kicks his ass.

Team of the year.

Williams: Compared to 2013 their turnaround was simply amazing. Obviously Mercedes were slightly better but comparing budgets etc. Williams did well.

Drive of the year.

Bianchi in Monaco :that ninth place. Spectacular overtakes on the Caterham as well. Very aggressive.

Race of the year.

Bahrain: First time we saw Rosberg v Hamilton properly toe to toe.

Overtake of the year.

Dunno,

Comeback of the year.

Dunno

Monaco :That incident.

Dunno

Worst driver of the year

Kimi : Was a disappointment tbh. Got schooled by alonso.

Worst team of the year

Lotus, Terrible, especially compared to last year.

Agree with all here!

Overtake of the year had to be one of Ricciardo's moves. Pulled some superb moves at Suzuka in the wet, one was on Bottas iirc
Reply 3
Original post by James A
Agree with all here!

Overtake of the year had to be one of Ricciardo's moves. Pulled some superb moves at Suzuka in the wet, one was on Bottas iirc

Go watch the highlights and pick one. And I deliberately picked the non obvious one a few times to get people to pick others. Nvm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go watch the highlights and pick one. And I deliberately picked the non obvious one a few times to get people to pick others. Nvm...

Posted from TSR Mobile

On my phone but will post again when on my laptop
Reply 5
Comeback of the year

Lewis Hamilton at Austria. Start from the pitlane. First lap spin with cold tyres and brakes. Comes back to podium ahead of his team mate that started front row, maybe second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Driver of the year.

HAMILTON - started the season with a DNF and was thereafter always playing catch-up to his teammate. Despite a horrible mid season he finishes the season with 6 wins in the last 7 races to claim the WDC. 2nd Alonso, 3rd Ricciardo.

Team of the year.

MERCEDES - dominant, not much else to be said. Slight question marks about reliability but when you win 16/19 races its hard to pick faults.

Drive of the year.

This one is hard...

I think ALONSO deserves it for almost going the distance and winning in Hungary. But Ricciardo and Hamilton were equally good in that race.

Race of the year.

HUNGARY

Overtake of the year.

ALONSO on Vettel around the outside of Copse was my favourite. But Hamilton on Vergne in Hungary and Hamilton on Rosberg in Japan were also impressive.

Comeback of the year.

Not entirely sure what this means but if its for a comeback over the whole season then I'd say MASSA. Quite a lot of people doubted him when he signed for Williams but especially towards the end of the season he showed that he was still very competitive. He could be a dark horse next season if that Williams is fast because he knows how to win races.

Monaco is the most memorable I guess.

Crash of the year.

MALDONADO slamming into GUTIERREZ in Bahrain (roll eyes)

Worst driver of the year

Gutierrez and Sutil were calamitous. But it has to be RAIKKONEN because he was just a disappointment.

Worst team of the year

SAUBER unsurprisingly. Although to be honest their drivers made it a lot worse than it was. Should have scored points. Ferrari were god awful and Lotus worse, although the later is less of a surprise considering the financial on goings.
Reply 7
Original post by RD208
Driver of the year.

HAMILTON - started the season with a DNF and was thereafter always playing catch-up to his teammate. Despite a horrible mid season he finishes the season with 6 wins in the last 7 races to claim the WDC. 2nd Alonso, 3rd Ricciardo.

Team of the year.

MERCEDES - dominant, not much else to be said. Slight question marks about reliability but when you win 16/19 races its hard to pick faults.

Drive of the year.

This one is hard...

I think ALONSO deserves it for almost going the distance and winning in Hungary. But Ricciardo and Hamilton were equally good in that race.

Race of the year.

HUNGARY

Overtake of the year.

ALONSO on Vettel around the outside of Copse was my favourite. But Hamilton on Vergne in Hungary and Hamilton on Rosberg in Japan were also impressive.

Comeback of the year.

Not entirely sure what this means but if its for a comeback over the whole season then I'd say MASSA. Quite a lot of people doubted him when he signed for Williams but especially towards the end of the season he showed that he was still very competitive. He could be a dark horse next season if that Williams is fast because he knows how to win races.

Monaco is the most memorable I guess.

Crash of the year.

MALDONADO slamming into GUTIERREZ in Bahrain (roll eyes)

Worst driver of the year

Gutierrez and Sutil were calamitous. But it has to be RAIKKONEN because he was just a disappointment.

Worst team of the year

SAUBER unsurprisingly. Although to be honest their drivers made it a lot worse than it was. Should have scored points. Ferrari were god awful and Lotus worse, although the later is less of a surprise considering the financial on goings.

I meant comeback in a single race. E. G after bad qualifying or an accident then coming through the field. Hamilton and Ricciardo did it a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Crash of the year.

Austria, turn one. Massa and magnus son iirc. Not as much of a flip as maldon aldo in Bahrain but since nice two wheels action

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great idea for a thread, I was complaining today that there was no F1 on the telly and the day was going so slow, gonna spend the next few days watching highlights mainly because I've got a memory like a sieve.

Qualifying has to be Brazil. (If I remember rightly) the Williams splitting the Mercades in Q2 and almost doing the same in Q3? Or am I thinking about somewhere else?
Original post by And then...
Great idea for a thread, I was complaining today that there was no F1 on the telly and the day was going so slow, gonna spend the next few days watching highlights mainly because I've got a memory like a sieve.

Qualifying has to be Brazil. (If I remember rightly) the Williams splitting the Mercades in Q2 and almost doing the same in Q3? Or am I thinking about somewhere else?

Good plan. I think I'll make the voting threads in a week or so when we've got a few nominations for each category.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Comeback of the year

Lewis Hamilton at Austria. Start from the pitlane. First lap spin with cold tyres and brakes. Comes back to podium ahead of his team mate that started front row, maybe second.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was Hungary.

I meant comeback in a single race. E. G after bad qualifying or an accident then coming through the field. Hamilton and Ricciardo did it a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, ok. In this case its Hamilton in Hungary.

Crash of the year.

Austria, turn one. Massa and magnus son iirc. Not as much of a flip as maldon aldo in Bahrain but since nice two wheels action

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was Hockenheim, Germany.

Original post by And then...

I think you are talking about Russia. Bottas looked like he could snatch pole but had a massive moment at the last corner and ran wide.
Original post by RD208

I think you are talking about Russia. Bottas looked like he could snatch pole but had a massive moment at the last corner and ran wide.

YYou are 100% right, thanks was bugging me!
Original post by RD208
This was Hungary.

Ah, ok. In this case its Hamilton in Hungary.

This was Hockenheim, Germany.

Yes, you're very right. This is what I get for not googling it to check. And putting Hungary for both when I knew it wasn't the same race.

Thanks. And yes, that was a good qualifying session in Russia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might change some of this tomorrow, but heres what I've come up with after looking at some videos for the past few hours.

Driver of the year. Ricciardo/Bottas, if I've gotta pick one I'll choose Danny, outperformed Vettel, but its close.
Team of the year. Williams
Drive of the year. Jules @ Monaco
Race of the year. Melbourne, F1 is back after the winter break!! Nico has his first P1, Magnussen scores podium in his very first race of his rookie year and Ricciardo scores his first podium at home, the first race of the year is always amazing.
Overtake of the year. Ricciardo, somewhere and overtook someone.... (Probably)
Comeback of the year. Nicco @ Russia, fair enough tyres was balls at Russia but he got stupidly close to Lewis at the end.
Qualifying session of the year. Russia
Crash of the year(nominating anything where people were injured like suzuka not cool obviously) Massa & Perez, Canada. I'll just pull out infront of a faster car and it probably won't cause any problems!
Worst driver of the year Kimi, his team mate scored 3x more the ammount of points than him, needs to get his head back in the game.
Worst team of the year Sauber, not one point?
Driver of the year : Hamilton - won 11 races, although Ricciardo came close.
Team of the year. Mercedes - simply dominant.
Drive of the year. Ricciardo/Alonso in Hungary - both drove great races.
Race of the year. Bahrain - one of the best head to head battles for the lead in ages.
Overtake of the year. Hamilton vs Rosberg in the downpour at Japan
Comeback of the year - Vergne - got much better as 2nd half of season went on - should have got a seat at STR.
Qualifying session of the year - Monaco provoked the most debate.
Crash of the year - Anything involving Crashtor.
Worst driver of the year - Vettel has probably underperformed the most.
Worst team of the year - Lotus - such a massive fall from grace.

I might edit these once I watch the review dvd that I'm ( hopefully :wink: ) getting for xmas. :smile:
Driver of the year.

Ricciardo : Took some by surprise, he has speed, can overtake and is a good sportsman. Perfect combo tbf.

Team of the year.

Defo Williams, they really turned around from 2013 and looked like a completely different team, refreshed and raring to go.

Drive of the year.

Bianchi in Monaco for 9th, Giving Marussia crucial points.

Race of the year.

Bahrain: Really good battles all round the field, hammy and rosberg going head to head many times.

Overtake of the year.

Ricciardo on Alonso at Austin (turn 1). The way he sold Alonso the dummy :sogood:

Comeback of the year.

Hamilton to 3rd in Hungary, in the meanwhile showing Rosberg again who's boss by pushing wide just before turn 3 :sogood:. Also he ignored team orders where Hamilton was fully entitled to keep his position as Rosberg couldnt get close enough.

Monaco : Drama :sogood:

Crash of the year: Maldonado on Gutierrez at Bahrain. Esteban flipped round but fortunately walked away without injuries.

Worst driver of the year

Kimi : Had to be Kimi, the gap was too big between him and Alonso, even despite claiming he couldn't setup the car to his liking.

Worst team of the year

Was gonna say Caterham but actually I'll say Lotus as they were able to mix it up with the big boys in 2012/2013 but just couldn't deliver this year. The Renault power unit failures during pre-season testing didn't help their plans either.
Driver of the year: Ok, this may be a strange one but I'm going to go with Button. I'd say this is the best season he's had since 2011, he got off to a terrible start losing his father but gained a podium in the first race (by default), he then went on to have great results in a poor car, one of the best races I think he had was Silverstone where he was oh so close to maiden podium at Silverstone. He then seemed to kick it up a gear towards the back end of the season with great results. He also outclassed his teammate who was meant to be the next big driver in F1 completely out scoring him and beating him in qualifying.

Team of the year: Williams, after a torrid 2013 campaign Williams needed a resurgence and that's just what they got, fantastic turnaround and shows what perseverance in the team (as far as I was aware not many people actually left Williams or joined for that matter between 2013/14) and hard work does. Honourable mention to Mercedes, amazing power unit and great chassis meant they conquered F1 this year.

Drive of the year: Vettel had a good race in Spain, qualifying 15th and finishing 4th at a circuit renowned for being hard to overtake at. Hamilton did a top job in Hungary as did Alonso and Ricciardo. Vergne had a great race in Singapore and really came alive in the 2nd half of the season.

Race of the year: Canada, showed that Mercedes were not untouchable (referring to reliability of course) and it was genuinely exciting to see who would take the win from the grasp of Mercedes and Rosberg, would it be Perez? Massa? But no the always happy Aussie who achieved a great first win in F1.

Overtake of the year: Vettel on Alonso at Silverstone or Ricciardo on Alonso at Germany.

Qualifying session of the year: Austria, Massa and Williams getting pole to stop Mercedes from getting them all, shut some of the critics up who said Massa was well past it and should have left F1.

Crash of the year: Can only be Maldonado and Gutierrez in Bahrain, really showed how much improvement Maldonados special awareness has improved over his 3 (at Bahrain anyway) full seasons in the sport.

Worst driver of the year: Chilton and Maldonado can share this one, Chilton just isn't that good, compared to Bianchi he looked even worse and only had the odd race where he seemed ok. Maldonado because he is Maldonado, far too many crashes for a professional racing driver (it's not like everyone crashes into him).

Worst team of the year: I'll give this to both Ferrari and McLaren. Both of these teams have huge budgets for competing in F1 and yet high failed miserably. Ferrari failed to build a competitive power unit and chassis whilst Mclaren had the best power unit and built a terrible chassis.
Gonna watch some videos on youtube to remember some races.

btw check out what I found, this benetton is on sale on ebay and marussia gear are on sale,
I wish I had the money to buy just a f1 wheel or an airbox... hey santa....
http://wtf1.co.uk/f1-benetton-1988-ebay/
Reply 19
Original post by Robbo-92

Race of the year: Canada, showed that Mercedes were not untouchable (referring to reliability of course) and it was genuinely exciting to see who would take the win from the grasp of Mercedes and Rosberg, would it be Perez? Massa? But no the always happy Aussie who achieved a great first win in F1.

Massa should have really won that race. For all that Williams improved in 2014 compared to recent seasons, with better strategy calls and more ambition they could have won a couple of races.

There was really no excuse for them not to be in the top 5 at every dry race. Hope they improve this for next season as it would be good to see more than 3 winners in 2015.

Quick Reply

Latest