The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Difference between Burnley and Preston?

Ok so I applied at UCLan and I thought I was applying to Preston but then my offer and interview letter came and it says Burnley Sixth form/ College. My brother-in-law who lives near it (I live in London) said don't bother because it's absolutely crap compared to Preston, is that true?

What's the difference? And do the students at both campuses mix?
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
I study at the Burnley campus and personally it is terrible. I lived in Burnley for 2 weeks and the place is a dump. Most of the students who go to the Burnley campus travel from the likes of Blackburn and other areas in Lancashire.
Reply 3
Preston is definitely better I have family live close to Burnley and they say it isn't as good as Preston

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by McGee1993
I study at the Burnley campus and personally it is terrible. I lived in Burnley for 2 weeks and the place is a dump. Most of the students who go to the Burnley campus travel from the likes of Blackburn and other areas in Lancashire.

Original post by sammylow
Preston is definitely better I have family live close to Burnley and they say it isn't as good as Preston

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, great thanks for letting me know :smile: I was going to insure but nah not anymore
Hi, bit late but I wanted to share my opinion because I've been studying at Preston for 2 years and I grew up in Burnley so I have quite a good impression of both places!

In my opinion, Burnley has some nice areas but I wouldn't recommend it for student life. The town is a bit of a dump if you haven't lived there your whole life - I like it because it's home to me but if I came as a new student I would hate it for sure. There isn't really a student atmosphere because UCLan shares it's building with Burnley College which is where I studied my A Levels and most people on campus are aged 16-18ish. Burnley UCLan doesn't have student halls so that's something to consider also. The nightlife isn't bad but Preston is far better.

Preston as a place isn't too different to Burnley. It's just bigger and the reason I think it's much better is because of its student atmosphere. Its buildings are spread around campus and there are so many options for accommodation. The many students definitely make Preston a lively city which I think Burnley lacks.

However, if you are commuting to Burnley or studying a part time course then the student atmopshere may not be something you're too bothered about. I'm sure the facilities at UCLan Burnley are great for some courses so definitely have a look round if you're interested. I just wouldn't recommend the Burnley campus if you're looking for a real student-y experience.

Hope this helped!

Molly
Original post by mollycronshaw
Hi, bit late but I wanted to share my opinion because I've been studying at Preston for 2 years and I grew up in Burnley so I have quite a good impression of both places!

In my opinion, Burnley has some nice areas but I wouldn't recommend it for student life. The town is a bit of a dump if you haven't lived there your whole life - I like it because it's home to me but if I came as a new student I would hate it for sure. There isn't really a student atmosphere because UCLan shares it's building with Burnley College which is where I studied my A Levels and most people on campus are aged 16-18ish. Burnley UCLan doesn't have student halls so that's something to consider also. The nightlife isn't bad but Preston is far better.

Preston as a place isn't too different to Burnley. It's just bigger and the reason I think it's much better is because of its student atmosphere. Its buildings are spread around campus and there are so many options for accommodation. The many students definitely make Preston a lively city which I think Burnley lacks.

However, if you are commuting to Burnley or studying a part time course then the student atmopshere may not be something you're too bothered about. I'm sure the facilities at UCLan Burnley are great for some courses so definitely have a look round if you're interested. I just wouldn't recommend the Burnley campus if you're looking for a real student-y experience.

Hope this helped!

Molly

Preston is alright as long as you don't mind all the youth everywhere. It's certainly preferable to most other locations in lancashire barring maybe Lancaster and any town in the Ribble Valley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending