The Student Room Group

Retaking A Levels - is it worth it?

I'm currently in my second year of a non-law degree (Ancient History) at the University of Reading. When I finish I plan to do a GDL and the LPC. However, during my A level exams I was on codeine for various reasons which obviously affected my performance and ended up getting BBC.

I'm worried that even though I'm on track for a high 2:1, I won't be able to get sponsorship or a training contract. I'm looking mainly at regional firms such as burges salmon as I don't think i'll get a place at city firms. Is it worth, or for that matter possible, to retake an A level to make myself more attractive to law firms?
Thanks.
Original post by JoeyVinten
I'm currently in my second year of a non-law degree (Ancient History) at the University of Reading. When I finish I plan to do a GDL and the LPC. However, during my A level exams I was on codeine for various reasons which obviously affected my performance and ended up getting BBC.

I'm worried that even though I'm on track for a high 2:1, I won't be able to get sponsorship or a training contract. I'm looking mainly at regional firms such as burges salmon as I don't think i'll get a place at city firms. Is it worth, or for that matter possible, to retake an A level to make myself more attractive to law firms?
Thanks.

Hi

Well, they often ask you to list all your exam grades anyway and specifically ask if you have re-sat exams so you would have to declare all your A level resits anyway. Firms do have boxes for you to put mitigating circs into - would you say your circs add up to mitigating?

I have to be honest - I don't think the regional thing will make any difference at the big firm level - things are very competitive and loads of grads have excellent A level grades.

that is not to say that you can't succeed - some firms do not have an automatic filter on the A level grades - although many do - taking other aspects into consideration - I know as I do not have good A level grades myself. You just have to rootle out the firms that don't have A level filters - you could also do something else after your degree to get yourself some real world experience to make yourself more employable - you would need Something Else to offer the firms - consistent performance is a big thing in law - remember they don't know you and dont really have much to go on other than A levels and exam results - plus you have to be reasonably smart a lot of the time to be a successful lawyer

I would go and see your careers office and also, can you get to any law fairs? You can approach the recruiters directly and ask them what their policies are.
Being on codeine may have already been taken into consideration.

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour prior to my a levels so was on all sorts of medication and had surgery scheduled for four days after my law exams.

I discovered that my college had already done something about mitigating circs. without my knowledge so.
Firms often ask either for confirmation that the A-levels sat were first attempts, or require you to specify the year that they were taken, which will give away late resits.

Unfortunately I think Law is becoming like Medicine - in practice you need to get the decent A-levels when you're 17 or 18. Was the codeine for a medical condition that would itself be mitigating circumstances and as noted above has not already been allowed for in the grades received?
Reply 4
I looked into the codeine thing and apparently I got a small percentage of marks more - so 1 or 2 marks extra. Think next year, the last year of my non-law degree, I'll apply for TCs but at the same time apply for graduate jobs and also to become a para legal. I mean I can't afford to put myself through a GDL and LPC: especially without a guaranteed job at the end of it.

Does anyone know anything about getting a job as a para legal and doing some kind of course while doing this to become a solicitor? Or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending