The Student Room Group

University of Law or York?

So, in as brief a form as possible. I'm currently in year 13, studying Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. I know they aren't the best subjects for going on to do law, but so far I have 3 of my offers and I'm waiting to hear back after an interview.
After thinking long and hard about my choices, I've narrowed it down to wanting to study at The Uni of Law (London Bloomsbury); or The Uni of York.
The UoL course is a two year accelerated program, which I think I will be able to handle.
I plan to make York and UoL my firm and insurance, except my UoL offer is ABB and so will be lower than York's (typical AAA).
When making a final choice, should I go to (providing I can and that my choice is all that matters) UoL or York for my degree?
I plan to return to London to work/live if I do go to York, and the UoL Bloomsbury campus is only a 20 minute walk from most of the leading law firms in London (Magic Circle, US firms, etc). This seems to put UoL as an advantage, due to it's proximity.
I like both cities, having grown up in London with a Yorkshire born parent. After spending time in York I do really like the city, and know my way around at least as well as I do the parts of London I would be visiting.
I know it's a bit of a weird question, but any advice at all would be amazing! If you need me to clarify anything then I will.
PS If it helps I hope to go into corporate law as a solicitor.
Original post by LucasADNorth
So, in as brief a form as possible. I'm currently in year 13, studying Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. I know they aren't the best subjects for going on to do law, but so far I have 3 of my offers and I'm waiting to hear back after an interview.
After thinking long and hard about my choices, I've narrowed it down to wanting to study at The Uni of Law (London Bloomsbury); or The Uni of York.
The UoL course is a two year accelerated program, which I think I will be able to handle.
I plan to make York and UoL my firm and insurance, except my UoL offer is ABB and so will be lower than York's (typical AAA).
When making a final choice, should I go to (providing I can and that my choice is all that matters) UoL or York for my degree?
I plan to return to London to work/live if I do go to York, and the UoL Bloomsbury campus is only a 20 minute walk from most of the leading law firms in London (Magic Circle, US firms, etc). This seems to put UoL as an advantage, due to it's proximity.
I like both cities, having grown up in London with a Yorkshire born parent. After spending time in York I do really like the city, and know my way around at least as well as I do the parts of London I would be visiting.
I know it's a bit of a weird question, but any advice at all would be amazing! If you need me to clarify anything then I will.
PS If it helps I hope to go into corporate law as a solicitor.

York is in a different league. Avoid UoL for undergrad degrees if at all possible.

Which other universities have you applied to?
Original post by TurboCretin
York is in a different league. Avoid UoL for undergrad degrees if at all possible.

Which other universities have you applied to?

Thanks for being so fast! :smile:
I've also applied to Brunel, Queen Mary's University London, and BPP University.

What makes you say York is ahead? I know that as a university it is more respected, but the program being so new seems to bring it down in some peoples eyes...

Thanks again!
Original post by LucasADNorth
Thanks for being so fast! :smile:
I've also applied to Brunel, Queen Mary's University London, and BPP University.

What makes you say York is ahead? I know that as a university it is more respected, but the program being so new seems to bring it down in some peoples eyes...

Thanks again!

I don't think firms are put off by the novelty of the department. It is a well-respected university and has strong English and History departments, which have always been fertile hiring grounds for law firms. The LLB course also seems to be very progressive (in a good way), based on what I've read about their 'PBL' approach. That would allow you to pick up skills that students from other universities would have to do extra-curriculars to demonstrate. This would make you an attractive prospect for City firms.

In my humble opinion, the best bets among your selected universities are York and Queen Mary, if you want to practice as a corporate solicitor.

Avoid BPP and UoL. Brunel is okay.
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't think firms are put off by the novelty of the department. It is a well-respected university and has strong English and History departments, which have always been fertile hiring grounds for law firms. The LLB course also seems to be very progressive (in a good way), based on what I've read about their 'PBL' approach. That would allow you to pick up skills that students from other universities would have to do extra-curriculars to demonstrate. This would make you an attractive prospect for City firms.

In my humble opinion, the best bets among your selected universities are York and Queen Mary, if you want to practice as a corporate solicitor.

Avoid BPP and UoL. Brunel is okay.

Thanks, I knew from the start that BPP was a bit... Risky. From speaking to others I was never gonna take an offer (if they give me one before I withdraw my application... I know the deadlines in a while, but still!)

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely make York my firm (if I get the chance), so I'll probably end up there. (QMUL gave me A*AA)

:smile::smile::smile:
If I may ask, where did you study?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MyMaths&chill
Thanks, I knew from the start that BPP was a bit... Risky. From speaking to others I was never gonna take an offer (if they give me one before I withdraw my application... I know the deadlines in a while, but still!)

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely make York my firm (if I get the chance), so I'll probably end up there. (QMUL gave me A*AA)

:smile::smile::smile:
If I may ask, where did you study?

5 years ago I doubt you’ll see this but what did you go for and where has it lead you now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending