The Student Room Group

University friend opened up to me about embarrassing secret.

So I was sitting with my university friend the other day and we were talking about depression as she gets depressed sometimes and I asked her what the cause of her depression was and she told me that when she was a child she had been sexually abused by her uncle. I did not know what to say to that. I had in contrast to her a very happy upbringing and so do not have any idea what she is going through. What can I do to help or should I just leave her on her own for a bit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Call the police
Reply 2
Original post by tiny doo
Call the police

He has already been arrested for the crime.
Of all the words to describe it, you'd call being sexually abused embarrassing?
Original post by tolerantbeing
of all the words to describe it, you'd call being sexually abused embarrassing?

my first thought exactly!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by TolerantBeing

Well I have never been sexually abused so yes I imagine it would be rather embarrassing. She dropped it on me a bit suddenly and I wanted to vacate the conversation as it started to take a sinister turn. It sounds mean but I want to leave her for a bit and then when she becomes a bit happier talk to her again. That is not to be nasty it is simply because I do not know how to talk to abused people
You don't have to say anything. If you're feeling awkward just say basic things like "I'm sorry, are you okay now?" or something like that. I was molested when I was a kid and I know it's not something most people know how to react to so I wouldn't expect anyone to react in a specific way. I personally feel numb toward mine, but every victim of that kind of abuse reacts differently so before you react, find out how she reacts herself.

With me, I can laugh about mine because it's the only way I know how to cope with it. I haven't told anyone I personally know about it mostly because I feel so awkward talking about it and don't want them to feel awkward. She must be at a point now where she's kind of "accepted" (for lack of a better word) it so she's "comfortable" (again, for lack of a better word! :redface:) talking about it. You could even say "I don't know what to say, I'm just so sorry you had to deal with that". It's understandable that you don't know how to react.

Whatever you do, do not leave her on her own!!!!!! She'll think she freaked you out and she'll close up and not feel comfortable opening up about it ever again. This kind of reaction would undo years of learning to accept what happened to her. If you really have to then tell her "I don't know what to say, I can't imagine what that was like. You wanna talk about it?"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by heidegger8
Well I have never been sexually abused so yes I imagine it would be rather embarrassing. She dropped it on me a bit suddenly and I wanted to vacate the conversation as it started to take a sinister turn. It sounds mean but I want to leave her for a bit and then when she becomes a bit happier talk to her again. That is not to be nasty it is simply because I do not know how to talk to abused people

Be aware that "leaving her on her own" could come across as avoiding her. She might feel it was a bad idea to come out to you about this when in fact it was incredibly brave. The way to speak to abused people is to speak to them as you always have. There is no need for this to be an elephant in the room.
Reply 8
Original post by Vixen47
You don't have to say anything. If you're feeling awkward just say basic things like "I'm sorry, are you okay now?" or something like that. I was molested when I was a kid and I know it's not something most people know how to react to so I wouldn't expect anyone to react in a specific way. I personally feel numb toward mine, but every victim of that kind f abuse reacts differently so before you react, find out how she reacts herself.

With me, I can laugh about mine because it's the only way I know how to cope with it. I haven't told anyone I personally know about it mostly because I feel so awkward talking about it and don't want them to feel awkward. She must be at a point now where she's kind of "accepted" (for lack of a better word) it so she's "comfortable" (again, for lack of a better word! :redface:) talking about it. You could even say "I don't know what to say, I'm just so sorry you had to deal with that". It's understandable that you don't know how to react.

Whatever you do, do not leave her on her own!!!!!! She'll think she freaked you out and she'll close up and not feel comfortable opening up about it ever again. This kind of reaction would undo years of learning to accept what happened to her. If you really have to then tell her "I don't know what to say, I can't imagine what that was like. You wanna talk about it?"

I do feel rather guilty as I have made a few Jimmy Savile jokes in the past (not to her thank god!). I will do what you say. I am not the best at delicate situations just because I get tongue tied so maybe I should write something down on a piece of paper or will that seem to much like talking at her rather than talking to her.
Reply 9
Original post by upagumtree
Be aware that "leaving her on her own" could come across as avoiding her. She might feel it was a bad idea to come out to you about this when in fact it was incredibly brave. The way to speak to abused people is to speak to them as you always have. There is no need for this to be an elephant in the room.

Why she revealed this to me I do not know, however I will do my best, I am interested in the psychological effects of abuse intellectually but I am not the best in regards to difficult situations. In regards to terminology should I call her an abuse 'victim' or an abuse 'survivor' or such or does it not matter? I do not want to set her off or something, or open up some suppressed memories that could explode or such.
Reply 10
As others have said, DON'T start avoiding her. She obviously felt close/comfortable enough with you to open up about this, so to 'leave her alone' is very hurtful and insensitive. She needs your support, not for you to run the opposite direction until she 'becomes a bit happier'. It's never easy knowing what to say to someone who's been through trauma/mental illness, but honestly, just having someone 'there' can be hugely comforting. I don't expect my friends to say the right things, and most of the time we don't talk about it, but they fact that they've all stuck around or offered to listen if I ever need to talk is all the support I need. You shouldn't let this cloud how you see her- she's no different now than she was when you first became friendly with her just because she's confided in you.

And I wouldn't say what she's been through was 'embarrassing'- it was most likely highly traumatic and upsetting. Try putting yourself in her shoes. If it was something you'd been through, how would you want a friend to react? What kind of support would you like from her?
Why she revealed this to me I do not know, however I will do my best, I am interested in the psychological effects of abuse intellectually but I am not the best in regards to difficult situations. In regards to terminology should I call her an abuse 'victim' or an abuse 'survivor' or such or does it not matter? I do not want to set her off or something, or open up some suppressed memories that could explode or such.

Don't call her anything other than her name.
I do feel rather guilty as I have made a few Jimmy Savile jokes in the past (not to her thank god!). I will do what you say. I am not the best at delicate situations just because I get tongue tied so maybe I should write something down on a piece of paper or will that seem to much like talking at her rather than talking to her.

:rofl: I make paedophilia jokes all the time! Some of them are even about myself when I'm laughing/joking with myself. I have an incredibly dark sense of humour. :innocent:

If it makes it less awkward for you text her saying something along the lines of "I've been thinking about what you told me and I honestly don't know how to react because no one I personally know has told me about something as big as this. How would you like me to be there for you?" And that should let her know that she's more prepared than you are to deal with her situation.

If still in doubt just let her know that Jim'll fix it

:getmecoat:
Original post by TolerantBeing

Well it kind of is.... There's this kind of taboo it's just something you don't talk about, especially seeing most people believe people who are sexually abused are likely to turn into paedophiles.

It ain't right and it's pretty bad it is this way, but sadly it is.
Reply 15
Original post by SophieSmall
Don't call her anything other than her name.

I think you misunderstand. I was not suggesting I would go into a room point at her and say 'hey rape victim have a merry christmas' or something like that but there will come times in conversation when different nouns are used.
I think you misunderstand. I was not suggesting I would go into a room point at her and say 'hey rape victim have a merry christmas' or something like that but there will come times in conversation when different nouns are used.

I'm struggling to think of a sentence you would have to say in which you would need to use a word like victim. Maybe my mind has just gone blank but if you can give me an example that would be great.
Reply 17
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm struggling to think of a sentence you would have to say in which you would need to use a word like victim. Maybe my mind has just gone blank but if you can give me an example that would be great.

The victim was used ironically. However, for a hypothetical situation. I could ask her 'do you think being a victim of sexual abuse has altered the world more for you than anything else in your life'?
Reply 18
Original post by Vixen47
:rofl: I make paedophilia jokes all the time! Some of them are even about myself when I'm laughing/joking with myself. I have an incredibly dark sense of humour. :innocent:

If it makes it less awkward for you text her saying something along the lines of "I've been thinking about what you told me and I honestly don't know how to react because no one I personally know has told me about something as big as this. How would you like me to be there for you?" And that should let her know that she's more prepared than you are to deal with her situation.

Is it true what you said in the other thread about being abused by another cousin? If so that is awful. I cannot imagine being abused by any of my relatives. Probably because being a particularly petulant/ unattractive child, no abuser would want to have groped me.
The victim was used ironically. However, for a hypothetical situation. I could ask her 'do you think being a victim of sexual abuse has altered the world more for you than anything else in your life'?

Why would you ask her that though? Unless she makes it clear she doesn't mind talking about her abuse in detail and being questioned in it randomly it seems a little insensitive of you to just bring it up and ask that as if you're writing some kind of essay on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending