The Student Room Group

When to start revising for GCSEs?

Having just finished my first term in year 11, it's getting closer and closer to the summer exams next year (I think mine start on 12th May) and I want to know when to start revising to have a good chance of achieving highly.
I know it varies for different people but I'm interested to hear what you'd suggest and if you've already completed your GCSEs, when you started revising. :smile:
Original post by Thinedivine
Having just finished my first term in year 11, it's getting closer and closer to the summer exams next year (I think mine start on 12th May) and I want to know when to start revising to have a good chance of achieving highly.
I know it varies for different people but I'm interested to hear what you'd suggest and if you've already completed your GCSEs, when you started revising. :smile:

As you pointed out, it completely depends on the person. I based my revision on how well I knew the subject. For instance, I started revising for History and English Literature several months before the exams, about a month in advance for the Sciences, a few days for Geography and I don't think I really revised for Maths or English Language! I didn't really revise for French either because I was just so fed up with it... In retrospect that probably wasn't the best idea because even though I got away with it, you really shouldn't do the last minute approach I took.
Reply 2
It really depends, although a few months in advance leaves you plenty of time to work on the subjects you may not be very confident with, and then closer to the exam period, I would go over the things you are maybe more confident in. I found that I needed a lot more time to revise science due to the amount of content I had to learn. It's not all about ability, consider the amount of stuff you have to learn for each subject!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
If I'm being honest, the earlier the better. What you don't want to do is leave it too late and panic!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
As you pointed out, it completely depends on the person. I based my revision on how well I knew the subject. For instance, I started revising for History and English Literature several months before the exams, about a month in advance for the Sciences, a few days for Geography and I don't think I really revised for Maths or English Language! I didn't really revise for French either because I was just so fed up with it... In retrospect that probably wasn't the best idea because even though I got away with it, you really shouldn't do the last minute approach I took.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will try to prioritise my revision in terms of the subject as I think this would help. What did you get? Sounds like your one of those people who did really well with relatively little revision:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest