The Student Room Group

How do you study from your notes?

I have a load of Chemistry notes which I have written using the specification and book. However, its just so much... how do you guys learn from this? I find myself staring blankly at the page.

I tried doing a past paper but it was pointless seeing as I didn't know most of the stuff, so I'm gonna go over 2 modules today and then do exam papers.
Go through them highlighting key bits so they stand out to you :smile: I then go and make revision cards or posters using coloured pens/paper and just write the key information. I find that helps me and the colours helps me to keep my concentration rather than staring at a black and white page for ages
Reply 2
Original post by xoflower
I have a load of Chemistry notes which I have written using the specification and book. However, its just so much... how do you guys learn from this? I find myself staring blankly at the page.

I tried doing a past paper but it was pointless seeing as I didn't know most of the stuff, so I'm gonna go over 2 modules today and then do exam papers.

Read over them and condense them down into as little content as possible. That will hep you to make your answers more concise. Thats what a study group told my year at a seminar.
By making flash cards. :woo:
Original post by xoflower

Whenever you're making notes, ensure that you understand what you're writing and if possible, you could speak to yourself whilst making notes as well (I know it sounds crazy but it actually helps though :tongue:)

Another thing you could do if you can, you could possibly try to use your notes and act like a teacher using a whiteboard and all. Again, it sounds crazy but actually helps though :tongue:

Try to understand what you're writing though otherwise you're simply copying out a page without much thought
Reading over them again and over and writing key facts out over and over and over again. It is tedious and soul-destroying but it works! :smile:
I didn't. At A-level I never took notes. I did maths further maths and physics I did the exam papers for maths and read these small books they provided for physics. I have never been one for taking notes unless they aren't supplied/easy to find the content online.
Reply 7
Do exam papers with the notes first and then slowly use them less and less as you begin to understand how to answer the questions
Reply 8
Thanks everyone :smile:
Flash cards of important stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest