The Student Room Group

Rejection from Sheffield because my access course is unsuitable...

I applied at the end of November, got one offer from Nott Trent and one rejection from Sheffield. My heart was set on Sheffield so I was a bit gutted, emailed them to gain some feedback on my application/rejection and just got a reply to say it's because my access course wasn't suitable for the psychology course. My access course is called Social & Community Work though aimed at people wanting to pursue social work we study four modules criminology, sociology, psychology and social policy enabling people to apply to a variety of different degrees. I googled and found quite a few people saying Sheffield are known to look down upon access courses, If there reasoning was for disliking my personal statement i'd understand that and accept it, do you think this is a fair rejection?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by automobile
I applied at the end of November, got one offer from Nott Trent and one rejection from Sheffield. My heart was set on Sheffield so I was a bit gutted, emailed them to gain some feedback on my application/rejection and just got a reply to say it's because my access course wasn't suitable for the psychology course. My access course is called Social & Community Work though aimed at people wanting to pursue social work we study four modules criminology, sociology, psychology and social policy enabling people to apply to a variety of different degrees. I googled and found quite a few people saying Sheffield are known to look down upon access courses, If there reasoning was for disliking my personal statement i'd understand that and accept it, do you think this is a fair rejection?

I think it's entirely fair, and you were fortunate to get feedback.

You've got a offer from another university, so personally, I would be happy with that. Sheffield is a really good uni, so possibly your expectations of how far access would carry you were a bit unreasonable.
Reply 2
Original post by Clip

You've got a offer from another university, so personally, I would be happy with that. Sheffield is a really good uni, so possibly your expectations of how far access would carry you were a bit unreasonable.

Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, and UCL accept access. Why shouldn't Sheffield? It's called an alternative route, not an inferior route.
Reply 3
Original post by samba
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, and UCL accept access. Why shouldn't Sheffield? It's called an alternative route, not an inferior route.

Why should they? It's up to them what they do and don't accept.

There's also a difference between saying that you accept Access, and actually doing it in practice. Of LSE, UC, Cant, Oxon, I would love to know how many access students they actually take - I would be extremely surprised if in practice LSE take any.
Reply 4
Unfortunately there is an Access to Psychology course, so it may just be that Sheffield specifically want that "flavour" of Access and not the one you have. Their website clearly states that they accept Access as an entry qualification, so it can't be that your application was rejected as a matter of principle.

Sadly this is a good illustration of why mature applicants should always check entry requirements for each course, direct with their target uni, before committing to pre-uni study. Never make assumptions. If they want a particular type of Access course, even the best results in the wrong one won't get you in.
Reply 5
Original post by Clip

There's also a difference between saying that you accept Access, and actually doing it in practice. Of LSE, UC, Cant, Oxon, I would love to know how many access students they actually take - I would be extremely surprised if in practice LSE take any.

We've had at least one TSR member who held a conditional offer from Cambridge based on their Access course. It is possible, and part of their "widening participation" initiatives.
Reply 6
Original post by Clip

Have you done an access course? I'm only 3 months into one and from my own experience and others it should definitely be seen as an equivalent way to get into higher education, if not an even harder route to take.. it's not like the better uni's are accepting lower grade entries for access, you have to get 30 pieces of work at distinction level (equivalent to A-level A's) and 15 at merit (equivalent to A-level B's) you have to do this within one year while juggling 4 assignments at a time and some who are retaking GCSE's on top of that.. if uni's cant appreciate the time and effort people put in to access I think it's pretty sad, even if Sheffield did change their minds and give me an offer, I probably wouldn't chose to go to them after this but I just wanted other's opinions.
Reply 7
Original post by Clip

I know for a fact Oxford and Cambridge do. I know for a fact LSE want me. (though my access course is old) I don't have any personal experience of UCL. Both Oxford and Cambridge have colleges geared towards mature students without traditional qualifications. Oxford has Harris Manchester, Cambridge has 4 that only accept them. Though most do not define 'mature student' as '19yo kid avoiding alevels', but 21/22+

Why should they? They should want the brightest prospects, regardless of the application route. Surely that's common sense? I can't speak for Sheffield as I don't know, but your logic of 'access course is no good for good unis' is poor.

If they didn't want to accept swathes of international students because 'further education isn't up to scratch in those countries' you'd likely see it as silly and people would be up in arms.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
Unfortunately there is an Access to Psychology course, so it may just be that Sheffield specifically want that "flavour" of Access and not the one you have. Their website clearly states that they accept Access as an entry qualification, so it can't be that your application was rejected as a matter of principle.

Sadly this is a good illustration of why mature applicants should always check entry requirements for each course, direct with their target uni, before committing to pre-uni study. Never make assumptions. If they want a particular type of Access course, even the best results in the wrong one won't get you in.

It could also be the fact she's 19 that's hindering it. I imagine unis still see access as a 'mature' route, and don't particularly want to see apps from teenagers using that route.
Reply 9
Have you done an access course? I'm only 3 months into one and from my own experience and others it should definitely be seen as an equivalent way to get into higher education, if not an even harder route to take.. it's not like the better uni's are accepting lower grade entries for access, you have to get 30 pieces of work at distinction level (equivalent to A-level A's) and 15 at merit (equivalent to A-level B's) you have to do this within one year while juggling 4 assignments at a time and some who are retaking GCSE's on top of that.. if uni's cant appreciate the time and effort people put in to access I think it's pretty sad, even if Sheffield did change their minds and give me an offer, I probably wouldn't chose to go to them after this but I just wanted other's opinions.

My opinion is that you're probably doing the wrong Access course for the Sheffield syllabus. Nothing to do with looking down on Access at all. Did you check with them before applying or did you just assume that you were doing what they wanted?
Original post by Klix88

Ah ok, there weren't any access courses nearby that catered to psychology specifically so I cant really do anything about that, I've got another offer and a friend who also in on my course has been accepted from other uni's for psychology so maybe it's just not what Sheffield is looking for I'll live just curious!
Original post by Klix88
My opinion is that you're probably doing the wrong Access course for the Sheffield syllabus. Nothing to do with looking down on Access at all. Did you check with them before applying or did you just assume that you were doing what they wanted?

Was in reply to someone else, my college said people from my course moved onto psychology at uni and because i'm doing a psychology module I assumed it would do, on the website I didn't come across anywhere where it said you had to do a specific access course for psychology, on other uni's websites like Leicester i noticed this so didn't apply there. It's ok though I've got three more uni's to hear back from so fingers crossed.
Reply 12
Original post by Klix88
We've had at least one TSR member who held a conditional offer from Cambridge based on their Access course. It is possible, and part of their "widening participation" initiatives.

One. That seals it, then.

For someone who is supposed to be a mature student, wouldn't you say that's a rather childish outlook? The university you wanted didn't want you - so now you're going to "punish" them?

Universities want achievers, not serial excuse makers. I'm not saying this is you, but that's the pattern with a lot of people who for whatever reason didn't sort their A-levels out first time around. If you are having to retake GCSEs, that's a red flag, not a green light.

Original post by samba
I know for a fact Oxford and Cambridge do. I know for a fact LSE want me. (though my access course is old) I don't have any personal experience of UCL. Both Oxford and Cambridge have colleges geared towards mature students without traditional qualifications. Oxford has Harris Manchester, Cambridge has 4 that only accept them. Though most do not define 'mature student' as '19yo kid avoiding alevels', but 21/22+

Why should they? They should want the brightest prospects, regardless of the application route. Surely that's common sense? I can't speak for Sheffield as I don't know, but your logic of 'access course is no good for good unis' is poor.

You've just made that up. I didn't say that.

If they didn't want to accept swathes of international students because 'further education isn't up to scratch in those countries' you'd likely see it as silly and people would be up in arms.

International students are a vital revenue stream. No-one would ever do that.
Original post by Clip

For someone who is supposed to be a mature student, wouldn't you say that's a rather childish outlook? The university you wanted didn't want you - so now you're going to "punish" them?

Universities want achievers, not serial excuse makers. I'm not saying this is you, but that's the pattern with a lot of people who for whatever reason didn't sort their A-levels out first time around. If you are having to retake GCSEs, that's a red flag, not a green light.

Not necessarily, won't go into it but there's more you want from universities when choosing where to relocate and study for 3 years, then just the label of them being a 'good uni'. Punish them? Uhm I have other uni's I'd like to go to.. Sheffield wasn't the be all and end all so I'm not fussed I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason and two friends I know who are at Sheffield currently aren't enjoying it at all. That's a very close minded naive way of looking at things, most people I've met on my access course have reasons why they didn't pursue education, myself included. And I'm retaking my maths GCSE yeah it doesn't look amazing but shows I'm dedicated and motivated to gain a place at a university, I could of just given up and taken the easy route and ended up working at Tesco stacking shelves for the rest of my life.
Original post by Clip
snip

There was a Cambridge admissions tutor on TSR recently and she said that they regularly accept Access students onto their degrees.
Reply 15
Original post by Clip

You've just made that up. I didn't say that.

Original post by Clip

You said exactly that, the inference was clear.
Reply 16
Not necessarily, won't go into it but there's more you want from universities when choosing where to relocate and study for 3 years, then just the label of them being a 'good uni'. Punish them? Uhm I have other uni's I'd like to go to.. Sheffield wasn't the be all and end all so I'm not fussed I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason and two friends I know who are at Sheffield currently aren't enjoying it at all. That's a very close minded naive way of looking at things, most people I've met on my access course have reasons why they didn't pursue education, myself included. And I'm retaking my maths GCSE yeah it doesn't look amazing but shows I'm dedicated and motivated to gain a place at a university, I could of just given up and taken the easy route and ended up working at Tesco stacking shelves for the rest of my life.

Whatever.

I can't tell you how many mature students I have met who think their degree is going to be life-changing due to the perceived effort they have put in. Hopefully for you, reality will match your expectations.

Your combination of modules is not really useful for a psychology degree so I am not surprised they rejected you. It would have been better to take human biology (or chemistry at a push) and quantitative methods instead of the social modules you took.

It is got nothing to do with Sheffield looking down on access courses really.
Original post by evantej
Your combination of modules is not really useful for a psychology degree so I am not surprised they rejected you. It would have been better to take human biology (or chemistry at a push) and quantitative methods instead of the social modules you took.

It is got nothing to do with Sheffield looking down on access courses really.

no colleges near me offer these courses and other unis have accepted me for psychology so obviously doesn't apply everywhere
it was a last minute decision, i didnt even get much time to choose unis.. i did my personal statement in like 2 days we were all pushed while we had about 5 assignments on our hands too, i was more focused on finding out the entry requirements from access to HE because they aren't listed on uni websites if i had more time i would of done the whole process much differently.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending