The Student Room Group

AS level RNA

Hey guys,

At GCSE I studied the AQA syllabus, which meant you did not need to know about RNA at all! Now, I'm studying A-Levels, and it comes up quite alot, so It would be useful if I had a little knowledge of what it does. However, through my revision, I have stumbled on two things:

- What does tRNA do?
- What does rRNA do?
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

At GCSE I studied the AQA syllabus, which meant you did not need to know about RNA at all! Now, I'm studying A-Levels, and it comes up quite alot, so It would be useful if I had a little knowledge of what it does. However, through my revision, I have stumbled on two things:

- What does tRNA do?
- What does rRNA do?

tRNA has an amino acid on one side, and the 3 bases that correspond to it on the other side. It interacts with the ribosome and mRNA to match each codon (3 bases on mRNA) with its anticodon (3 complementary bases on tRN linked to an amino acid). This process is protein synthesis, and the more tRNA molecules are used to build up the polypeptide encoded by the mRNA, the longer it is.

rRNA is ribosomal RNA which forms part of the ribosome, which carries out the protein synthesis by reading the mRNA molecule while tRNAs match up to create the polypeptide.
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

- What does tRNA do?
- What does rRNA do?

The function of tRNA is to bring the correct amino acid to growing polypeptide chain such that the primary structure is specific. It is able to do so because of the anticodon it has which can form complementary base pairing with the codon found on the mRNA which is part of the translation initiation complex.

For rRNA, it is part of the component of ribosome. Both in prokayotes and eukaryotes, the function of rRNA in ribosome is to allow for the attachment of the mRNA to the ribosome during the initiation step so that the translation initiation complex can be formed. This can happen due to specific sequence found on both mRNA and the ribosome such that complementary base pairing can take place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending