The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, you must excuse typos tonight. I have had 4 glasses of champagne at a formal.

Well all I can say is that my ex-supervisor was a moderator and external for a good uni, even setting the papers. She told me a 70% there would have been a 65% at Hull. However, I don't actually believe her. I think that she was possibly just having a vent because she was in a bad mood.
Ethereal
Work harder and get higher marks then :p:

Very helpful, Ethereal!!! I have some new piccies to bore u with btw
Good work Blondie, but I think you resent the place you went to first a bit too much?
Well Lewis, Leeds Met employ external mods and as such, I expect my paper to have been marked at the appropriate standard.
Any comments that imply I have worked less hard / got an easy ride / don't deserve a first, are hugely resented.

Thankyou FiremanJohn, yes as I am in an LPC class with 15 other people from universities all regarded as "better" than mine, I can happily state that I am keeping up no problem, and that have just as much legal knowledge and general standard of education as everyone else.
In fact, in my personal tutor session, (who tutors our class for property) she expressly said I was doing better than a good proportion of the class. (because I was having a panic about time off I had to take and how it might be affecting me)

As far as I am concerned, people who make comments about my first being easy to get etc etc etc, are wrong. There are a million and one factors that affect your education, and indeed your career.
If my first is so worthless because its from Leeds Met, then how come I got such a great TC???? Yes my CV has extras on it, ECs, a job, etc., but I was questioned repeatedly about my first as well...
I didn't imply that at all, I merely commented that nobody is in a position to accurately comment... why would degrees from the reputable establishments be more respected if they weren't harder? There would be no justification if standards were uniform. But i'm not gonna enter this debate as I will be accused of being a dick or something :wink:.

I am by no means saying your first class degree is worthless, on the contrary... I would much rather have it to a 2:1 from about 98% of this country's universities... just saying that you cannot deny that a first from more unis than that is more respected and why is this? If standards are the same in marking quality then standard of teaching etc makes no difference if you still have a first (from an employer's perspective), so why would they prefer certain unis?...

OK so I entered the debate without meaning to...

Elsewhere, you have clearly taken well to the LPC congrats! I think since it assesses other thing to academics that your undergrad degree very much won't matter on it and that it's like starting from scratch where different people may suddenly become better.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
I didn't imply that at all, I merely commented that nobody is in a position to accurately comment...

And neither are you.

I'm not saying the degree is respected equally to a first from Cambridge, I'm not naive. But I resent the implication that my achievement is somewhat less.
But hang on a bit, if you say the "achievement" (as you call it) is the same, WHY would degrees from oxbridge continue to be regarded higher? What would be the point? I accept that it may well be as such, but I don't think the general community would view it as such, sorry (especially amongst employers, although a first from anywhere is a damn good achievement and beyond a 2:1 from anywhere (as i already said) so congrats on ur TC and the hard work you put in to get there :biggrin:)
Oxbridge must be hard, look at all the free drink they are giving Laura. She is going to end up with so many hangovers that her study will feel 10x harder.
Nothing's free in this world pal, college fees + tuition probably more than cover it with a spare cpl grand on the side!
He, He. Actually, they seem to give 'freshers' or rather 'newly matriculated' students a reasonable deal. I think it ends after week 2 when you have been welcomed :frown: Sure I paid for it somehow. But they, I was not expecting it so it is a nice added bonus.
matriculated ... I want to know where that word comes from, I hadn't heard it until I got here and was given a matric number, matric card, everything!
Reply 31
Fireman John
I do not contend the fact that those establishments with "good" or even excellent reputations do not deserve them - of that, I am sure they do.

I would contest your double-negative.
Reply 32
Blondie22
I went to a crap uni for a year and switched to a much better top 20 one. (long story basically my 6th form was **** so messed up my alevels) and i can say that there is a difference in standards. It was much much harder to get a 2.1 at my uni i got my degree from then the **** one i went to begin with. very few people have experience of both just thought i would share that with everyone!

You graduated from UEA, is that right? Which uni were you at for the first year? PM me if you dont want to tell everyone:p:
Lewis-HuStuJCR
matriculated ... I want to know where that word comes from, I hadn't heard it until I got here and was given a matric number, matric card, everything!

When I am not in a mad dash I'll ask
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Nothing's free in this world pal, college fees + tuition probably more than cover it with a spare cpl grand on the side!

Tell me about it :mad:

Thing is Laura never drank much at Hull apart from the night she started a relationship with the most horrid law student ever.
Reply 35
LauraWalker
'newly matriculated' students

We had to get my dog matriculated. I could never look the poor bugger in the eye after that. Never knew they did it students though...
lol good one! I think matriculated is just a posh way of saying "registered" or "enrolled:" on the course I guess.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
But hang on a bit, if you say the "achievement" (as you call it) is the same, WHY would degrees from oxbridge continue to be regarded higher? What would be the point? I accept that it may well be as such, but I don't think the general community would view it as such, sorry (especially amongst employers, although a first from anywhere is a damn good achievement and beyond a 2:1 from anywhere (as i already said) so congrats on ur TC and the hard work you put in to get there :biggrin:)

Yes it is, thank you :wink:
Law's Empire
Thing is Laura never drank much at Hull apart from the night she started a relationship with the most horrid law student ever.
Was he a horrid person as well as a horrid law student?
Well, who knows Superdillion. One thing is sure, he was a rubbish law student who never did any work and got a 2.2 because of it. I think he was a 'horrid law' student for sure; no respect for those lovely reading lists that we were given. His tort reading was nutshells a week before the exam. This resulted in a fail :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending