The Student Room Group

A levels for economics degree at oxbridgehe

Hello all, I was wondering if the following a levels are good for an economics degree at a top 5 university.

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Computer Science

i really want to do computer science but I was told geography would be better :frown:

your advise will be extremely useful.

thank you
Reply 1
Oxbridge* really sorry.
Original post by SSpringer20
Hello all, I was wondering if the following a levels are good for an economics degree at a top 5 university.

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Computer Science

i really want to do computer science but I was told geography would be better :frown:

your advise will be extremely useful.

thank you

There's nothing wrong with that combination. If you enjoy computer science then go for it. Geography would indeed be better - History or politics even better, but I - like you - didn't pick of them and did Physics instead (and the other 3).

Computer science is a good choice choice because learning how to programme is a useful skill when it comes to employment.

I can't say I know anyone who did computer science A level who now does economics at Cambridge but it shouldn't set you back.
Reply 3
That's not too encouraging, I thought Oxbridge wanted Maths, Further Maths, Economics and one other ;(
Reply 4
Bump
Original post by SSpringer20
That's not too encouraging, I thought Oxbridge wanted Maths, Further Maths, Economics and one other ;(

how did you find discouragement in the reply 'there's nothing wrong with that combination...if you enjoy computer science then go for it'? That sounds only encouraging. And he did the three you mention and physics and is now doing economics at Cambridge...

Possibly you two are talking at cross-purposes. Perhaps you're asking for the best A levels to get in while he is identifying what would be the best A levels to have done before commencing the course.

Here are the 5 compulsory papers in the first year of the degree now being studied by Mike123

Paper 1 Microeconomics
Paper 2 Macroeconomics
Paper 3 Quantitative Methods in Economics
Paper 4 Political and Sociological Aspects of Economics
Paper 5 British Economic History

Looking at papers 4 and 5 you might see why he perhaps wishes that he'd arrived with the skill-set conferred by A-level History. Still, not having, and having Physics instead, didn't stop him getting in.
Reply 6
I was thinking more on the lines of which A levels would most likely get me a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending